[comp.unix.i386] VP/ix

brb@rhi.hi.is (Bjorn R. Bjornsson) (02/15/90)

In article <7368@hlborl.UUCP>, h_les@hlborl.UUCP (les brown) writes:
> What happens is that (apparently) randomly, the keyboard on my console
> locks up.

Try hitting the ALT key, if that doesn't work try hitting the CONTROL
key, any one of your sessions may have missed the break scancodes for
these keys.

I personally think VP/ix works rather well on a console, but I have
quite a few questions and complaints for VP/ix use on serial terminals.
I almost have the feeling that I must be the only person that has battled
VP/ix through serial terminals.

1. Why are input and scancode mappings limited to 7 chars.  This makes
   "enhanced keyboard" emulation impossible on many ASCII terminals,
   even if they have more or less the right number of keys.
   Good limits are: 0, 1 and infinity (or a reasonable facsimilie,
   thereof)

2. Why is there no screen refresh function for PC compatible terminals*?
   It's present for ASCII terminals but goes away for PC compatible
   terminals.
   Why isn't refresh in the VP/ix menu?

   This is rather important since there seem to be a number of problems
   in VP/ix video emulation for serial terminals.

3. Why isn't there support for ANSI color escape sequences.  Really?
   A lot of folks have these (on there PCs for instance).

4. EGA or VGA emulation with user accessible hooks would be real
   nice instead of the MDA emulation.

5. A program to set the BIOS data area keyboard type should come
   with VP/ix.  A program to synchronize CapsLock, NumLock, ScrollLock
   for PC-compatible terminals should also come with VP/ix.

*A PC compatible terminal is a terminal that is capable of sending
PC keyboard scancodes (make and break) instead of ASCII characters.

Bjorn R. Bjornsson	brb@falcon.is

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (02/17/90)

As quoted from <1519@krafla.rhi.hi.is> by brb@rhi.hi.is (Bjorn R. Bjornsson):
+---------------
| I personally think VP/ix works rather well on a console, but I have
| quite a few questions and complaints for VP/ix use on serial terminals.
| I almost have the feeling that I must be the only person that has battled
| VP/ix through serial terminals.
+---------------

I used VP/ix daily for a month on an Altos Series 1000 (well, yes, it was the
console---but the Altos 1000 is *not* a PC-compatible, and its console is a
serial port) via a Falco 5000 terminal.  I've not seen any problems beyond
those in getting the order of the escape sequences right to make the Falco
expand the window to 80x25 instead of 80x24....  The 5000 was run in scan-code
mode; I have not yet gathered sufficient masochism to attempt VP/ix on an
ordinary terminal.  [ ;-) ]

+---------------
| 2. Why is there no screen refresh function for PC compatible terminals*?
|    It's present for ASCII terminals but goes away for PC compatible
|    terminals.
|    Why isn't refresh in the VP/ix menu?
|
|    This is rather important since there seem to be a number of problems
|    in VP/ix video emulation for serial terminals.
+---------------

I suspect that VP/ix terminal descriptions out of the box are about as usable
as termcaps/terminfos right out of the box.  I wrote and debugged the Falco
5000 description myself, and made d*mned sure it *works*.  I suggest you find
someone to write a *correct* description for your terminal.

+---------------
| 3. Why isn't there support for ANSI color escape sequences.  Really?
|    A lot of folks have these (on there PCs for instance).
+---------------

Don't you want ANSI.SYS for this?  Or does VP/ix not handle color at all?  I
can't find out, since the current Altos 1000 version supports neither color
nor graphics.  Nor COM1/2 emulation, which I would have thought to be
relatively easy.  [Had I source, I might attempt it myself.]  [NOTE: the 1000,
not being PC-compatible, has neither memory-mapped console nor scancode
console keyboard nor COM1/COM2.  It comes with 8 serial ports on the mother-
board and slots for two 8-port "SIO" boards or an ACPA (5 serial ports, one
RS-422 multidrop port, and thick and thin Ethernet ports).]

+---------------
| 5. A program to set the BIOS data area keyboard type should come
|    with VP/ix.  A program to synchronize CapsLock, NumLock, ScrollLock
|    for PC-compatible terminals should also come with VP/ix.
+---------------

Not sure I understand this one.  But the Falco has some bugs in this area, and
I'm not sure that any amount of coaxing by VP/ix would help.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery    allbery@NCoast.ORG, BALLBERY (MCI Mail), ALLBERY (Delphi)
      uunet!cwjcc.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery@cwjcc.cwru.edu

michael@fts1.uucp (Michael Richardson) (05/03/90)

In article <15422@bfmny0.UU.NET> tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:
>The only reason I bother to suggest sticking with UNIX 'vi' instead of
>the excellent MKS port (that truncate bug aside) is that sitting in VP/ix
>interactively all day long really sucks up cycles.  I prefer to save it

  I can second that statement...

>for compile passes.  Although I must admit the load latency for repeated
>VP/ix one-shots is pretty bad.  (It pays to keep a spare vpix.cnf around
>with NOTHING defined except what you need to get a compile done; and

  It seems to me leaving a VP/ix around idle is just as bad as using
it --- e.g. it still uses all the CPU it can get. Hitting the sysreq
key and popping into a Unix shell seems to stop that sillyness. /bin/csh
is already loaded, so the hit should only be for the data space and
.cshrc startup time. (alias vpix '(setenv SHELL=/bin/sh; vpix !$)'
should solve that.)

>lighting the sticky bit on the fastload image seems to help.)  I also

  Can anyone tell me what EXACTLY rundos does? (In the autoexec.bat
file of VP/ix.)

   It seems to be involved in starting up whatever it was that you had
wanted to run under VP/ix: e.g. vpix start [where start.bat exists in
the current directory] causes start to be "fed" into command.com when
autoexec.bat gets to rundos.
   RunDos also seems to want to do dospath, and set the drive to z.
(I finally had to add unixpath to the beginning of start.bat...)
   (btw start.bat sets up a number of drives current directories,
and brings up foxplus because foxpro doesn't like the networked (Unix) drives
and my database file exceed 10meg each and 20 meg total [not that we can find
the old 20meg C: drive anywhere.])

--

   :!mcr!:               | Tellement de lettres, si peu de temps.
   Michael Richardson    |  If Meech passes, no one will understand that.