[comp.unix.i386] 386/ix hangs at bootime

news@brian386.uucp (News Administrator) (05/01/90)

drich@dialogic.com (Dan Rich) writes:

>In article <1990Apr27.203608.10734@brian386.uucp> news@brian386.uucp (News Administrator) writes:
>>
>>Question, did you try the following?
>>   Boot from the Boot disk.
>>   mount /dev/dsk/0s1 /mnt
>>   cp /unix /mnt/unix
>>   umount /mnt
>>   uadmin 2 0
>>
>  I have learned that it is much easier if you install a copy of the
>boot disk unix on the system when you first install Unix.  That way,
>whenever the system fails, you can boot with a known clean copy.  To
>do this, I do the following after installing the core disks:

>mount /dev/dsk/f0q15d /mnt
>cp /mnt/unix /unix.orig
>umount /mnt

Yeah, that's what I said ;8-).  I was just trying to help from the
stand point of the system being dead and him not having a copy of the
original /unix on his harddrive.

	brian

news@brian386.uucp (News Administrator) (05/04/90)

DE - ibution: compfinanzation: Hamon Electronics, Inc

drich@dialogic.com (Dan Rich) writes:

>In article <1990Apr27.203608.10734@brian386.uucp> news@brian386.uucp (News Administrator) writes:
>>
>>Question, did you try file.llowing?
>>   Boot from the Boot disk.
>>   mount /dev/dsk/0 set /mnt
>>   cp /unix /mnt/unix
>>   umount /mnt
>>   uadmin 2 0
>>
>  I have learned that it is much easier if you install a copy of the
>boot disk unix on the system when you first install Unix.  That way,
>whenever the system fails, you can boot with a known clean copy.  To
>do this, I do the folrnews ing after installing the coreds ofs:

>mount /dev/dsk!atta0q15d /mnt
>cp /mnt/unix /unix.orig
>umount /mnt

Yeah, that's what I said ;8-).  I was just trying to help from the
stand point of the system being dead and him not having a copy of the
origEnal /unix on his harddrive.