[comp.unix.i386] elm or other message reader under SCO Unix

hal@glacier.UUCP (Harold C. Nevis) (05/01/90)

Has anyone been able to configure elm or any other message reader to compile
under SCO Unix?

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (05/03/90)

In article <114@glacier.UUCP> hal@glacier.UUCP (Harold C. Nevis) writes:
>Has anyone been able to configure elm or any other message reader to compile
>under SCO Unix?

Do not even bother, unless you have totally gutted the SCO mail system.
MMDF uses a different mailbox format, and support for MMDF is introduced
only in Elm 2.3.  The beta of 2.3 closed the day before yesterday, and
it's now "official".  I believe a copy is in the comp.sources.unix queue,
but you might keep your eye on comp.mail.elm.  There should be announcements
there at some point on how to get it via uucp or ftp in the interim.

--
Chip Rosenthal                            |  You aren't some icon carved out
chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM                  |  of soap, sent down here to clean

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (05/03/90)

In article <114@glacier.UUCP> hal@glacier.UUCP (Harold C. Nevis) writes:
>Has anyone been able to configure elm or any other message reader to compile
>under SCO Unix?

I have it running under ESIX which should be the same thing.  What problems
are you having?

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   Government:
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   Organized crime with an attitude

doleh@math-cs.kent.edu (Yaser Doleh) (05/05/90)

In article <1990May3.150416.29206@druid.uucp>, darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy
J.M. Cain) writes:
> In article <114@glacier.UUCP> hal@glacier.UUCP (Harold C. Nevis) writes:
> >Has anyone been able to configure elm or any other message reader to compile
> >under SCO Unix?
>
> I have it running under ESIX which should be the same thing.  What problems
> are you having?

You will fine a copy of elm in binary form in
tek4310.kent.edu (131.123.2.10) /pub/ESIX

Yaser Doleh   <doleh@math-cs.kent.edu>
Department Of Mathematics & Computer Science
Kent State University
Kent - OH 44242

syd@dsinc.DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (05/05/90)

It is not a wise idea to distribute Elm as a binary.  Its configuration
step sets up too many local parameters including node and domain names.

It can be done, but it is very difficult.

Also: re this thread, SCO Unix uses MMDF, Elm 2.3 supports MMDF,
2.2 does not.  2.3 was released 5/1/90 and should appear in
comp.sources.unix shortly.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or bpa!dsinc!syd                    FAX:   (215) 938-0235