[comp.unix.i386] Northgate computer

alen@dasys1.uucp (Alen Kalati) (05/03/90)

I know that Northgate is a very nice system to run DOS on, but I also

know that they have some problems running SCO XENIX with some of the

multi-ports in the market.

--
Alen Kalati
Big Electric Cat Public UNIX

bradley@cs.utexas.edu (Bradley L. Richards) (05/03/90)

In article <5412@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> wag1@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (d.wagley) writes:
>In article <511616@nstar.UUCP>, larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>> In article <295@iczer-1.UUCP>, emm@iczer-1.UUCP (Edward M. Markowski) writes:
>> >
>> > Is Northgate a good company to do business with?
>>
>> For the record, we have purchased several Northgate machines, and rank them
>> as expensive (as compared to what you could get from other vendors, with
>> "fair" support).
>
>I have several friends who have purchased this configuration from
>Northgate and are very happy. I thought that the price was very good
>given that the machine seems to be built pretty solid. A lot of the
>cheaper systems I've looked at were flimsy.
>
>Does Larry or anybody else have suggestions on where to go for a better
>value in a similar configuration?

In a word:  Gateway.  I was looking around for a 386 system last fall.
After many weeks of shopping I narrowed the choices to Northgate (slightly
better quality system, but more expensive) and Gateway (which uses all
nme-brand parts, but lacks some of the polish).  Feeling poor, I decided on
the Gateway.  I had a couple of infant mortality failures, but their support
has been outstanding (new motherboard overnight, no questions asked).  But
I did tell Gateway to keep their keyboard and ordered one from Northgate--
for my money Northgate keyboards can't be beat.

You can't go wrong with either company.

 Bradley L. Richards       uucp:  cs.utexas.edu!bradley
 bradley@cs.utexas.edu     CompuServe:  75216,1744

fish@gemed.com (Mark Fisher) (05/03/90)

I don't know much about Northgate Computers.  I just ordered a 386/25
4meg, 64kcache, 110 meg ESDI, and VGA1024 from Gateway.  I am very
happy with the machine.  I rank the quality 9 on a scale of 10.  I got
the manuals for every card in the machine.  The case is solidly built
and the motherboard is a micronics.  On the negative side, it took 3
weeks to get the machine, but it was sent second day Fedex.  On the
whole thumbs up for Gateway.

Before ordering from Gateway, I ordered a 386 from PC Brand.  In
short, a horror story.  The machine came without a hard drive, the
monitor was a 2a not the 3d I ordered.  The invoice said there was a
hard disk and the monitor was a 3d.  The following is NOT an
exaggeration.  It took about 25 phone calls to get the matter
corrected.  Getting a manager on the phone is next to impossible.
Even if you do it won't do any good.  A manager and a supervisor both
made empty promises to me all three times I talked to them.  To
summerize they do not reliably do what they say they are going to do.
Thumbs down for PC Brand.

--
// Mark M. Fisher
// fish@gemed.ge.com

emm@iczer-1.UUCP (Edward M. Markowski) (05/06/90)

Thanks to everyone that replyed to my questions about Northgate.

The posting created some compition(sp?) so I have not yet decided
which system to get.

--
Edward M. Markowski -- iczer-1 Administrator

                              ...the garage is flooded from the sprinkler.
                              It also left a man's decapitated body,
VOICE : (201) 478-6052        lying on the floor next to his own severed head.
UUCP : ..!uunet!iczer-1!emm   A head which at this time has no name.