[comp.unix.i386] Equinox and Continental Computer

garyb@crpmks.UUCP (Gary Blumenstein) (05/01/90)

In article <1990Apr27.151418.17471@mccc.uucp> pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg)
writes:
>A number of people have responded to queries about multiport boards by
>recommending the Equinox MEGAPORT and Continental Computer Systems.
>[..]
>So I called them and got (fairly) local dealer names.  I'm in the
>process of contacting dealers now to get prices.
>
>So what's the big deal about contacting CCS?

While Continental Computer Systems is in fact a distributor limited to servicing
dealers and some fortune 500 accounts, they are not beyond helping out or
providing information to the average end user.  This isn't just another
fly-by-night "schlok house".  Read on...

Where other distributors are mainly concerned with moving inventory, Continental
cradles their accounts with the best technical support in the business.  Very
few other distributors *really* understand the ins and outs of assembling
UNIX/Xenix systems around multi-vendor platforms.  The people at Continental
are very atuned to most, if not all the latest multi-serial I/O products
including Equinox.  They are up on the latest SCSI technology, they know and
can optimize Xenix applications better than anyone I know, and they are
constantly testing things like X servers, LAN products, modems, Etc.   They
are so involved with supporting their products that they routinely participate
in engineering of device drivers and other design specifications.  They
take beta testing to the extreme.

So what's the big deal about contacting them?  They turned me on to Equinox,
they know the technology better than anyone I could think of short of Equinox's
own engineers.  I didn't suggest that you, as an end-user would be able to
purchase items directly from them, but they can answer your technical
questions and you can be sure you're getting the right advice.

Personally, I have no vested interest in their business.  Their only claim to
fame with me is that they have helped this company out on numerous occasions
and have "saved my neck" with countless bug fixes.  In the 5 years I've
known them, I've seen the company grow from a relatively small operation,
into a multi-million dollar UNIX/Xenix outfit.   Since OEM's alone cannot
handle the diverse knowledge needed to support their own products when
used in real life situations, they are relying more and more on distributors
which can assume a technical responsibility on top of volume sales.

Continental Computer Systems fills this category of badly needed dealer
service.  I would highly recommend them to the various ISC and SCO dealers
and VARS on this net, esspecially if you're on the east coast.

                           * * * Disclaimer * * *
The previous has been my totally UNSOLICITED opinions.   CCS, keep up the
good work!

--
Gary M. Blumenstein, UNIX Network Administrator // CIBA-GEIGY Corporation USA
Phone (914) 347-4700                    7 Skyline Drive, Hawthorne, NY  10532

In article <1159@crpmks.UUCP> garyb@crpmks.UUCP (Gary Blumenstein) writes:
>While Continental Computer Systems is in fact a distributor limited to servicing
>dealers and some fortune 500 accounts, they are not beyond helping out or
>providing information to the average end user.  This isn't just another
>fly-by-night "schlok house".  Read on...

Correct.

>Where other distributors are mainly concerned with moving inventory, Continental
>cradles their accounts with the best technical support in the business.  Very
>few other distributors *really* understand the ins and outs of assembling
>UNIX/Xenix systems around multi-vendor platforms.

>Continental Computer Systems fills this category of badly needed dealer
>service.  I would highly recommend them to the various ISC and SCO dealers
>and VARS on this net, esspecially if you're on the east coast.

Seconded here, but the heck to the east coast.

We get our Equinox product from them; they are FANTASTIC.  No, they don't
sell direct to end users.  There's a reason for that -- they want their
DEALERS to be able to make a buck too, and undercutting your dealers is a
good way to go out of business FAST.

I would have to put CCS in the top 1% of all distributors of computer
products; they haven't let us down yet.  Their handling of product and
problems is consistantly first-rate.

Distributors like that are one reason we are able to offer the high quality
and top-notch service that makes our business survival possible.  Believe
me, when it's 4:30PM, you have a dead board in the field, and no stock in
your warehouse, these things are mighty important.

Now, what the dealer(s) do once they have the product is up to them.  We
use our vendors as a source of information and assistance when we need an
interface with a manufacturer -- which is why there ARE distributors.  Too
many in that business lose sight of that fact, and want only to push as much
product as possible.  Those companies cause us no end of trouble, and as
soon as we discover their intentions they are no longer vendors.....

If you want a dealer in your area, CCS will refer you to one without trouble.

On the other hand, we're happy to sell to end users (it's our job as a dealer).

Note:  We're just a dealer, and don't "work for" CCS either :-)

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 808-7300], Voice: [+1 708 808-7200]