[comp.unix.i386] Multiport Serial Boards...

friedl@mtndew.UUCP (Steve Friedl) (05/02/90)

I write:

Randy Suess writes:
>  Whoa!  What is wrong with uugetty?  Do you mean with a
>  particular ports card, or just in general?

In general, uugetty sucks.  There are real problems with DTR
contention between the incoming and outgoing devices, and I bet a
donut that nobody out there actually has it working 100% right
all of the time.  I have had a dozen people try to claim the
donut, but *every time* it turned out that they had compromised
on at least one area.

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY / Software Consultant / Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561 voice   /   friedl@vsi.com   /   {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

Only Apple could consider the IBM Model 70/486 "The Hottest 486 PC".

mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) (05/03/90)

In article <511637@nstar.UUCP>, larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:

> Computone - tech support is bad.  Real bad.  They do return telephone calls
> but have a hard time accepting the fact that some of the products do not work
> correctly.  I am using a Computone Intelliport, and after trying 4 different
> versions of drivers (and 3 sets of firmware) I finally found that 3.14 firmware
> and 4.31 drivers work just fine under 386/ix with bi-directional communications,hardware flowcontrol and modem locking.
>
> I'm happy with my Computone now - but I wouldn't want to try all the
> different combinations of configurations that I did to get things to a
> state that works again.

I had similar experiences with Computone.  We came up their entire product
line from about 2.45 firmware.  Someone on the net , I believe it was Mike
Johnson@lilink.com, had mentioned to me that the 3.14 firmware and 4.54
drivers for SCO Xenix, 4.49 Drivers for SCO Unix would solve all my
headaches.  Indeed he was right, and all is fine now.

On the plus side, I found that at Computone they were always bettering
the drivers and firmware.  On the negative side, I as did Larry, found they
had a difficult time accepting that there were problems.

I have also used Arnets boards with good results.  I would say you have
nothing to fear from either of these guys.

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (05/03/90)

In article <407@mtndew.UUCP> friedl@mtndew.UUCP (Steve Friedl) writes:
>In general, uugetty sucks.  There are real problems with DTR
>contention between the incoming and outgoing devices, and I bet a
>donut that nobody out there actually has it working 100% right
>all of the time.  I have had a dozen people try to claim the
>donut, but *every time* it turned out that they had compromised
>on at least one area.

I have it working perfectly.  AT&T V/386 3.2.1, IPC 802 multiport serial
adapter, uugetty 1.1 3.2 06/24/88.  I prefer hardware flow control.
Incoming and outgoing uucp and logins work fine.

I did write a daemon that sits and clears CLOCAL on unused dialup lines
every so often, because of a bug in the IPC drivers, but that's not
uugetty's fault (UUCICO forgets to clear it if login fails).  No
compromise has been necessary.  It works all the time.

dbinette@van-bc.UUCP (Dave Binette) (05/04/90)

My experience with Computone Intelliport 8 are similar, specifically
i find its very picky about when it gets booted in the startup
ie...  /etc/rc.d/[0-9]/?

haven't got it quite nailed down yet though.

I just spent 48 days running 100% on the computone, needed to do a reboot
and now the damn thing wont run. again.

grrrRRRR

In article <407@mtndew.UUCP> friedl@mtndew.UUCP (Steve Friedl) writes:
>I write:
>> Specialix boards are indeed very fast, but they don't do bidirectional
>> modem interlocking -- you're stuck with uugetty (ugh)
>
>Randy Suess writes:
>>  Whoa!  What is wrong with uugetty?  Do you mean with a
>>  particular ports card, or just in general?
>
>In general, uugetty sucks.  There are real problems with DTR
>contention between the incoming and outgoing devices, and I bet a
>donut that nobody out there actually has it working 100% right
>all of the time.  I have had a dozen people try to claim the
>donut, but *every time* it turned out that they had compromised
>on at least one area.

Want to lose a donut?

We're going to have a solution within the next couple of weeks.  uugetty
does stink, for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the lack of
an "issue" file.  We're working on a solution -- a REAL solution, and beating
on one well-known serial board vendor to make sure their drivers are
>exactly< right (they aren't right now, but they ARE close, which is why
they don't get the donut yet!).

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 808-7300], Voice: [+1 708 808-7200]