[comp.unix.i386] bsd 4.4 for i386 - vaporware?

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (05/03/90)

>The question of the day is:
>	Will anyone SELL BSD 4.4 for the AT bus 386 machine?

I think the Mt. Xinu people said something about maybe offering BSD
Unix for PC type machines.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

john@design.axis.fr (John H) (05/05/90)

In article <836@vela.acs.oakland.edu>, srodawa@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Dr. Srodawa) writes:
> >To have a copy of 4.4BSD the end user must have an AT&T source license.
> >If you already have it, you probably paid something like $60,000 for it.
> >If you >don't< already have it, you'll probably pay $100k to get it.
> >How many customers can afford that?
>
> Every university, that's all.  A university buys ONE license.  ALL
> hardware systems on which the software will be run are registered at
> the same time at no additional cost.  We register every computer on
> campus.  Let's see.. $1200 over a thousand machines.. $1.20 per machine.

Huh?????   What the fuck???  How does $100k get turned into $1200???

Anyway, which university has 1000 386's with > 80Mb disk and the support
staff needed to put an unsupported operating system on each micro?

John Hughes

(I know you Yanks are stupid and rich, but THAT STUPID?  THAT RICH?)

perand@admin.kth.se (Per Andersson) (05/09/90)

In article <326@design.axis.fr> john@design.axis.fr (John H) writes:
>Huh?????   What the fuck???  How does $100k get turned into $1200???
>Anyway, which university has 1000 386's with > 80Mb disk and the support
>staff needed to put an unsupported operating system on each micro?
>
>(I know you Yanks are stupid and rich, but THAT STUPID?  THAT RICH?)

Well, first universities don't pay what commercial customers do to get
an AT&T source license. Second this also covers Vaxes, Tahoes and probably
some other architectures. Third unsupported can be an advantage, as enough
staff probably are present to understand what needs fixing, if there is
something. At least on a large university with computer education.

Besides, 4.3BSD on a Vax11/750 is one of the most reliable platforms one
can run. Sad that hardware support is so high. 386 machines can maybe
replace the 11/750 for uses like mail exchange, especially since 4.4 might
come with PP, the RFC822/UUCP/X.400/(you name it) mailer.

Per
--
---
Per Andersson