[comp.unix.i386] Adaptec 154xB SCSI host adapter

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (05/06/90)

strike@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Tim Bowser) writes (in comp.unix.xenix):

>SCSI support, the new Adaptec 154xB controller doesn't work out of the

[ ... ]

>before long.  I've heard it is even better at it's job than the A model...

New Adaptec 154xB ? Could anybody shed some light over this?
What is different from the A model? How compatible is it?
--
Pim Zandbergen                             domain : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                            uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (05/07/90)

[ comp.sys.ibm.pc dropped from newsgroups line, followups to comp.unix.i386 ]

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:
>New Adaptec 154xB ? Could anybody shed some light over this?
>What is different from the A model? How compatible is it?

I talked to Adaptec sales just last week about this.  Apparently the B is
functionally identical to the A.  It sounds like they did some integration
(maybe an ASIC or two), and thus reduced the size from full-card to 3/4-card.

In other words, it sounds like it was merely a manufacturing cost reduction
project.  Of course, that's good for us because it probably means a power
consumption reduction.

I've never run their boards before, so I'm not aware of any warts or
problems which should have been addressed in a B.  I just ordered one,
and will be installing it with SCO ODT.  If anybody is interested in how
it works, drop me a line in about two weeks and I'll let you know.

--
Chip Rosenthal                            |  You aren't some icon carved out
chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM                  |  of soap, sent down here to clean

dougp@ico.isc.com (Doug Pintar) (05/08/90)

In article <1990May6.135921.13129@cti-software.nl> pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:
>New Adaptec 154xB ? Could anybody shed some light over this?
>What is different from the A model? How compatible is it?

I have one, and it's very similar from a programming standpoint, so the
existing 386/ix HPDD driver works just fine.  It has some additional
programmability as to speeds when doing its first-party DMA, and you can
get more information (like who's negotiated synchronous transfers) from
it.  The board is half-long, and may be a bit faster.  It also supports
both target and initiator modes, so you could use SCSI to connect two
systems (386/ix, however, does not support this).  It's a nice board;
I have no idea as to how available it is, however.  I got mine from Adaptec
to make sure the new firmware/bios/hardware all worked with 386/ix.

Doug Pintar

feustel@well.sf.ca.us (David Alan Feustel) (05/10/90)

I have two Adaptek 1542a controllers connected to a Connor 100meg SCSI
drive. Both controllers at bootup see the Conner drive, but only the
controller closest to the Conner drive is able to successfully read
the drive. I tried changing the cable but that didn't help. The cables
I've used may be too long. Does anyone know the maximum permissable
length for single-ended SCSI cabled bus?
--
Phone:	 (home) 219-482-9631
E-mail:	feustel@well.sf.ca.us	{ucbvax,apple,hplabs,pacbell}!well!feustel

msjohnso@ensub.Wichita.NCR.COM (Mark Johnson) (05/15/90)

In article <17908@well.sf.ca.us>, feustel@well.sf.ca.us (David Alan Feustel) writes:
> Does anyone know the maximum permissable
> length for single-ended SCSI cabled bus?

From the SCSI standard, X3T9.2:

4.2.1 Single-Ended Cable.  A 50-conductor flat cable or 25-signal twisted-
pair cable shall be used. The maximum cable length shall be 6.0 meters.

A stub length of no more than 0.1 meters is allowed off the mainline
interconnection within any connected equipment.

SCSI bus termination may be internal to the SCSI devices that are at the
ends of the cable.

Note: The 6 meters (20 ft) length is the TOTAL length of all SCSI cable,
should you happen to have more than one device. Good luck!
--
Mark Johnson      WB9QLR/0      NCR Peripheral Products Division
Mark.Johnson@Wichita.NCR.COM    3718 N. Rock Rd.