[comp.unix.i386] ATI VGA1024 in ISC 386/ix problem with driver

Dante_A_Nicolello@cup.portal.com (05/02/90)

>>> I have a 386/25 and a OEM version of the ATI VGA WONDER (VGA1024) with
>>> 512k.  I am running 386ix with X windows.  The problem is I can only
>>> get standard VGA to work.  When I configure X windows for the ATI card
>>> I get an unsynced scrambled image on the screeen.  Standard VGA works
>
>>Which version of X?  According to ISC, the VGA Wonder should work
>>in 800 by 600 with 512K on the board - using X release 1.1
>
>I beleive it is version 1.1. My manual also says it should work in 800
>x 600 mode with the ATI card, but it don't.  The monitor and card
>appear functional under DOS using the test program from ATI.
>--
>// Mark M. Fisher
>// fish@gemed.ge.com
>// uunet!crdgw1!gemed!fish
>// sun!sunbrew!gemed!fish

I have the same problem. I upgraded to 1.1 ($50) so I could use the 800x600
mode of this card to find out that there was a bug in ISCs driver which
will not be corrected until 1.2 (another $50?). I hope they also put in
support for the 1024x763/16 color mode of the VGA Wonder. From what I
understand, the problem is ISC purchased one of ATIs earlier versions
of the board for testing. They did not know there were a few revisions
of the card out there. Since it is a popular card with a good price
I am sure ISC will now start to fully support it.

						Dante

-------------------------------
dante_a_nicolello@cup.portal.com   ____
cmcl2!dasys1!super68!dante         \  //   "What we did yesterday
                                    \//      others will attempt tommorrow"

fischer@utower.gopas.sub.org (Axel Fischer) (05/03/90)

fish@gemed.com (Mark Fisher) writes:

>>> I have a 386/25 and a OEM version of the ATI VGA WONDER (VGA1024) with
>>> 512k.  I am running 386ix with X windows.  The problem is I can only
>>> get standard VGA to work.  When I configure X windows for the ATI card
>>> I get an unsynced scrambled image on the screeen.  Standard VGA works
>>Which version of X?  According to ISC, the VGA Wonder should work
>>in 800 by 600 with 512K on the board - using X release 1.1
>I beleive it is version 1.1. My manual also says it should work in 800
>x 600 mode with the ATI card, but it don't.  The monitor and card
>appear functional under DOS using the test program from ATI.

I have an ATI VGA Wonder and I have no trouble using it in 800x600 16 colors
mode under X11R3 Version 1.1 (386/ix 2.02)

However 1024x768 is not supported.

-Axel
--
  fischer@utower.gopas.sub.org / fischer@db0tui6.BITNET / fischer@tmpmbx.UUCP

                                                           Less than zero ...

fish@gemed.com (Mark Fisher) (05/04/90)

--
// Mark M. Fisher
// fish@gemed.ge.com

fish@gemed.com (Mark Fisher) (05/04/90)

sorry about that empty post.

In article <W58*ZM-@utower.gopas.sub.org> fischer@utower.gopas.sub.org (Axel Fischer) writes:

   >>> I have a 386/25 and a OEM version of the ATI VGA WONDER (VGA1024) with
   >>> 512k.  I am running 386ix with X windows.  The problem is I can only
   >>> get standard VGA to work.  When I configure X windows for the ATI card
   >>> I get an unsynced scrambled image on the screeen.  Standard VGA works
   >>Which version of X?  According to ISC, the VGA Wonder should work
   >>in 800 by 600 with 512K on the board - using X release 1.1
   >I beleive it is version 1.1. My manual also says it should work in 800
   >x 600 mode with the ATI card, but it don't.  The monitor and card
   >appear functional under DOS using the test program from ATI.

   I have an ATI VGA Wonder and I have no trouble using it in 800x600 16 colors
   mode under X11R3 Version 1.1 (386/ix 2.02)

   However 1024x768 is not supported.

I think that my problem is that there are several versions of the ATI
VGA card and the version I have is not supported under X11R3 ISC
version 1.1.  The next release X11R3 ver 1.2 is suppose to fix this.
It boggles my brain a little bit that changes where made to the board
that make it incompatible with previous versions.  The next release of
ISC X11R3 is due out around the end of this month.
--
// Mark M. Fisher
// fish@gemed.ge.com

scottw@ico.isc.com (Scott Wiesner) (05/04/90)

>>>Which version of X?  According to ISC, the VGA Wonder should work
>>>in 800 by 600 with 512K on the board - using X release 1.1

> I have an ATI VGA Wonder and I have no trouble using it in 800x600 16 colors
> mode under X11R3 Version 1.1 (386/ix 2.02)

Ok, from the horses mouth, here's the scoop:

There are 3 different versions of the ATI VGA Wonder.  They are versions
3, 4, and 5.  If you've bought a card this year, there'a good chance it's
a revision 4 or 5 card.  The cards are programmed slightly differently,
and our current release of X (1.1) only supports the Rev 3 card.  The
next release should work on Rev 4 and 5 cards as well.  This release should
also work fine in 800x600 with only 256k of memory on the card.

1024x768 isn't expected anytime soon.  256 color support for the ATI
card will be at 640x480 and 800x600 (both requiring 512k of memory.)

Scott Wiesner
Interactive Systems
X Development Group

georgen@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (G. Ng) (05/07/90)

In article <2144@ralph.Lafayette.LA.US> pja@ralph.Lafayette.LA.US (Pete Alleman) writes:
>I have an ATI VGA 640 with 256K ram.  It also has sockets to add another
>256K of ram.  If I add the extra ram, will this board support higher
>resolution than 640x480?
Yep, it'll give you these maximum resolutions and colours:
640x480x256, 800x600x256, 1024x768x16

--
George Ng (Univ. of Toronto, Comp Sci)        |"Sure, I would like Canadian
HOME: uunet!mnetor!{becker,hybrid}!spocom!gng | winters too - if it weren't

pja@ralph.Lafayette.LA.US (Pete Alleman) (05/07/90)

In article <W58*ZM-@utower.gopas.sub.org> fischer@utower.gopas.sub.org writes:
>I have an ATI VGA Wonder and I have no trouble using it in 800x600 16 colors
>mode under X11R3 Version 1.1 (386/ix 2.02)
>
>However 1024x768 is not supported.

I have an ATI VGA 640 with 256K ram.  It also has sockets to add another
256K of ram.  If I add the extra ram, will this board support higher
resolution than 640x480?

Pete.
--
Pete Alleman
	pja@ralph.lafayette.la.us

vincet@mead.UUCP (Vince Tan) (05/07/90)

In article <29504@cup.portal.com>, Dante_A_Nicolello@cup.portal.com writes:
> I have the same problem. I upgraded to 1.1 ($50) so I could use the 800x600
> mode of this card to find out that there was a bug in ISCs driver which
> will not be corrected until 1.2 (another $50?). I hope they also put in
> support for the 1024x763/16 color mode of the VGA Wonder. From what I
> understand, the problem is ISC purchased one of ATIs earlier versions
> of the board for testing. They did not know there were a few revisions
> of the card out there. Since it is a popular card with a good price
> I am sure ISC will now start to fully support it.

there's no problem in my system, ATI VGA wonder 512k, BIOS version
V3-1.05 and SONY 1304 monitor.  ISC X windows release 1.1 ATI VGA driver works
in 800x600x16 mode (at least in my case) with 512k installed only.
there's a utility program, ATI-INFO supplied with the adapter, that
can be used to find out how much memory your adapter recognizes.  i
used ATI-INFO to find out there was a bent pin in one of memory chips.

--Vince

--
Vincent Tan                                      (513) 865-1651
Mead Data Central, Inc.

dave@uci.mn.org (David Anderson) (05/24/90)

In article <2679@syma.sussex.ac.uk> jonm@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Jonathan Meyer) writes:
>> I have an ATI VGA Wonder and I have no trouble using it in 800x600 16 colors
>> mode under X11R3 Version 1.1 (386/ix 2.02)
>>
>> However 1024x768 is not supported.
>>

>I on the other hand have an ATI VGA Wonder which works fine in
>800x600 except that it flakes out on VT switches. Talked with ISC
>about this, and concluded that it is very strange! Answer for me is
>to go to 8514/A ASAP.

Hmmmm, I've got an ATI VGA Wonder card myself, but have not had any luck
getting it to run in 800x600 mode.  Yes, I have installed the proper update
from ISC that included an ATIVGA driver for X Windows.  Anybody willing
to summarize just what it takes to get this mode operational?  Works great
otherwise!
--
David L. Anderson		  dave@uci.mn.org or dave@uci.com
Unified Communications, Inc.