[comp.unix.i386] Word Perfect for SCO Unix

kemp@convex1.convex.com (Phil Kemp) (05/25/90)

kmcvay@oneb.UUCP (Ken McVay) writes:

>JB Marketing, the Canadian distributor of Word Perfect, tells me that
>the SCO Unix version of WP has not been released yet, but they were able
>to provide me with pricing.

I had the same confusing problem and finally got the following information
directly from WordPerfect, by way of my dealer in Calgary.

4.2 is out and runs on Xenix and I just installed it on my SCO UNIX
386SX clone.

5.0 is very nearly out for Xenix only.

5.1 will be out sometime in the late summer time frame...

>Anyone out there have an idea _when_ the product will be released?

By the way I have had no problems with 4.2 on SCO UNIX to this point. I am
disappointed however that I cannot get BitStreeam font support for WP 4.2
and support seems questionable for 5.0.

Good Luck
PK

Phil Kemp
CONVEX Computer of Canada Ltd.
Voice:(403)-278-1788
UUCP:kemp@convex.com

kemp@convex1.convex.com (Phil Kemp) (05/25/90)

My posting should have read as follows...

>4.2 is out and runs on Xenix and I just installed it on my SCO UNIX
>386SX clone.

4.2 will run on both Xenix and SCO UNIX

>5.0 is very nearly out for Xenix only.

This 5.0 will not run on SCO UNIX

>5.1 will be out sometime in the late summer time frame...
 ^^^
 5.0 for SCO UNIX will be out sometime in the late summer.

Sorry for the confusion.

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (05/26/90)

In article <102527@convex.convex.com-> kemp@convex1.convex.com (Phil Kemp) writes:
->kmcvay@oneb.UUCP (Ken McVay) writes:
->
->I had the same confusing problem and finally got the following information
->directly from WordPerfect, by way of my dealer in Calgary.
->5.0 is very nearly out for Xenix only.

I installed 5.0 on a client's machine 2 weeks ago, so it is out now.

                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

jimmy@denwa.info.com (Jim Gottlieb) (05/26/90)

In article <102530@convex.convex.com> kemp@convex1.convex.com (Phil Kemp) writes:
>>5.0 is very nearly out for Xenix only.
>
>This 5.0 will not run on SCO UNIX
>
> 5.0 for SCO UNIX will be out sometime in the late summer.

I had called a local dealer a few weeks back and was told that I would
have no problem running the new 5.0 on our 386/ix system.  Knowing
never to trust dealers, I called WP Corp. and asked them just to make
sure.  They emphatically told me that it would not work.  They said
that they had expected the 5.0 Xenix port to run under 386 Unix because
of the built-in Xenix compatibility, but that this has not been the
case.  They specifically mentioned printing as one area that won't
work (that's enough for me).

Oh well.  Looks like we'll stick with Smart 3.1 for now.