[comp.unix.i386] Virtual terminals in 386 IX

fischer@utower.gopas.sub.org (Axel Fischer) (05/25/90)

dean@truevision.com (Dean Riddlebarger) writes:
>In article <40800011@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu> brando@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu writes:
>>Sure...
>>ISC Unix
>><ALT><SYS-REQ> [1-3,8]

>Or, if you latch onto a little program called keybind, you can alter
>your rc scripts to boot the console keyboard with:
><ALT> [F1-F8]
>as your virtual terminal hot keys.
>Much better....

Forget it. If you do that it's fine for normal working. But if you have
X-Windows running on one virtual console and you switch to that screen
you always get several garbage characters.

-Axel
--
    fischer@utower.gopas.sub.org / fischer@db0tui6.BITNET / fischer@tmpmbx.UUCP

                                    That is not dead, which can eternal lie
                                    Yet with strange aeons, even death may die.

src@scuzzy.uucp (Source Admin) (05/28/90)

>><ALT> [F1-F8]
>>as your virtual terminal hot keys.
>>Much better....

>Forget it. If you do that it's fine for normal working. But if you have
>X-Windows running on one virtual console and you switch to that screen
>you always get several garbage characters.

even worse, you'll lose transparency with prgms under vp/ix like word 4.0
which uses ALT-F?? keys a lot. also prgms like emacs are better to use if
you can assign functions to as many keys as possible.
--
Heiko Blume		blume@scuzzy.UUCP	FAX   (+49 30) 882 50 65
Kottbusser Damm 28	blume@netmbx.UUCP	VOICE (+49 30) 691 88 93

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (05/29/90)

>Or, if you latch onto a little program called keybind, you can alter
>your rc scripts to boot the console keyboard with:
>
><ALT> [F1-F8]
>
>as your virtual terminal hot keys.
>
>Much better....

Best of all -- modify keybind so that a single easy-to-hit Alt key is
mapped to VT_NEXT.  Then you can flip around between VT screens with the
greatest of ease.  I hardly ever address them individually except when
creating a new one.