[comp.unix.i386] Info on Adaptec ACB 2322

neese@adaptex.UUCP (05/24/90)

>/* ---------- "Info on Adaptec ACB 2322" ---------- */
>
>I have recently acquired a ST2383E (Imprimis WREN VI) and an
>Adaptec 2322 controller (labeled ACB 2322B-8 on U28). The ST2383E
>is a 15Mb/s ESDI drive. I would like to know if the Adaptec controller
>is capable of driving a 15Mb/s drive and which performance should
>be expected.
>
>According to an add in a German magazine there exist three versions of
>this controller:
>ACB 2322B   for 10Mb/s
>ACB 2322B-0 for 15Mb/s
>ACB 2322D   for 20Mb/s drives.
>
>My dealer however assures me that these versions don't exist. He claims
>that the three versions are:
>ACB 2322B no cache
>ACB 2322B-8 8K cache
>ACB 2322B-16 16K cache
>
>Which of the above is correct and how do I know if my controller
>is suited for this drive.

Here's the poop.

ACB-2322B	10 MBit ESDI Controller w/floppy
ACB-2322B-8	15 MBit ESDI Controller w/floppy w/8K read ahead buffer
ACB-2322B-16	15 MBit ESDI Controller w/floppy w/16K read ahead buffer
ACB-2322D	20 Mbit ESDI Controller w/floppy w/64K read ahead cache

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Central Field Applications Engineer
			UUCP @  uunet!swbatl!texbell!
				  {cpe,merch,nominil}!adaptex!neese
				uunet!mlite!adaptex!neese

In article <1764@tuegate.tue.nl> rcstack@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl (Studenten Vereniging Stack) writes:

>I have recently acquired a ST2383E (Imprimis WREN VI) and an
>Adaptec 2322 controller (labeled ACB 2322B-8 on U28). The ST2383E
>is a 15Mb/s ESDI drive. I would like to know if the Adaptec controller
>is capable of driving a 15Mb/s drive and which performance should
>be expected.
>
>My dealer however assures me that these versions don't exist. He claims
>that the three versions are:
>ACB 2322B-8 8K cache
>ACB 2322B-16 16K cache

This is correct, less the no-cache entry -- I doubt you can get those
anymore.

The 16 is the one you want for a 15Mhz drive.  The -8 will only run the
drive at 3:1 interleave.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 808-7300], Voice: [+1 708 808-7200]

howardl@wb3ffv.ampr.org ( WB3FFV) (05/28/90)

From article <1764@tuegate.tue.nl>, by rcstack@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl (Studenten Vereniging Stack):

> I have recently acquired a ST2383E (Imprimis WREN VI) and an
> Adaptec 2322 controller (labeled ACB 2322B-8 on U28). The ST2383E
> is a 15Mb/s ESDI drive. I would like to know if the Adaptec controller
> is capable of driving a 15Mb/s drive and which performance should
> be expected.

Well I was talking with a tech at adaptec the other day, and this is what
I was informed of for what it's worth  (actually about two months ago).

> According to an add in a German magazine there exist three versions of
> this controller:
> ACB 2322B   for 10Mb/s
> ACB 2322B-0 for 15Mb/s
> ACB 2322D   for 20Mb/s drives.
>
> My dealer however assures me that these versions don't exist. He claims
> that the three versions are:
> ACB 2322B no cache
> ACB 2322B-8 8K cache
> ACB 2322B-16 16K cache
>
> Which of the above is correct and how do I know if my controller
> is suited for this drive.

The ACB 2322B is rated to 10mbps and contains 8K cache  (I ran a 15mbps drive
                                                         on this controller!)

The ACB 2322B-8 has 8K cache and is rated to 15mbps

The ACB 2322B-16 has 16K cache and is rated at 15mbps  (if you can find one)

The ACB 2322D has 16K cache and is just a more current version of the 2322b16
              controller.  I didn't ask about 20mbps drives, so I can't say
              if this controller is cabable of this data rate.

I hope this is of some help, and maybe somebody else can shed some light on
the ability of the 2322D to run at 20mbps transfer rates...

Internet  : howardl@wb3ffv.ampr.org	|	Howard D. Leadmon
UUCP      : wb3ffv!howardl		|	Advanced Business Solutions
TELEX     : 152252474     		|	210 E. Lombard St - Suite 410
Telephone : (301)-576-8635		|	Baltimore, MD  21202

neese@adaptex.UUCP (05/29/90)

>> I have recently acquired a ST2383E (Imprimis WREN VI) and an
>> Adaptec 2322 controller (labeled ACB 2322B-8 on U28). The ST2383E
>> is a 15Mb/s ESDI drive. I would like to know if the Adaptec controller
>> is capable of driving a 15Mb/s drive and which performance should
>> be expected.
>
>Well I was talking with a tech at adaptec the other day, and this is what
>I was informed of for what it's worth  (actually about two months ago).
>
>STUFF DELETED
>
>The ACB 2322D has 16K cache and is just a more current version of the 2322b16
>              controller.  I didn't ask about 20mbps drives, so I can't say
>              if this controller is cabable of this data rate.

The 2322D has 64K of read ahead cache and supports 10, 15, and 20 MBit ESDI
drives.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Senior SCSI Applications Engineer