[comp.unix.i386] 'Tar' & feathered

trw@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Weil timothy) (05/29/90)

Thanks so far so suggestions re: GCC under ESIX...
Have acquired 'LS-LR.Z' & 'GCC1371.Tar.Z' for
installation & education...

Problem with ESIX 'tar' command....Tried
          'tar xvf ls-lr.Z'    and...
got messages like
    1). Bad checksum on directory
    2). Invalid blocksize (Blocks=20)
do I need a different version of tar under
ESIX for GNU (like tar.Z).

Problem with GCC1371.Tar.Z is that host system
(Vax Ultrix) denies access to 'Tar' & this
1.5M file wont fit to floppy medium & requires
about 4 hours to download at 2400 baud!!!

Nothings easy, eh????

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (05/29/90)

From article <5565@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu>, by trw@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Weil timothy):
> Problem with ESIX 'tar' command....Tried
>           'tar xvf ls-lr.Z'    and...
> got messages like
>     1). Bad checksum on directory
>     2). Invalid blocksize (Blocks=20)

  It's a two step process.
   1.) compress -u GCC1371.tar.Z
   2.) tar xvf GCC1371.tar

> do I need a different version of tar under
> ESIX for GNU (like tar.Z).
   No. You do need the compress program though. If you don't have it,
it's available for downloading off my bbs. File: compress  located in
the 'unix_fmaint' files area. Data line number should be in my .sig.

> Problem with GCC1371.Tar.Z is that host system
> (Vax Ultrix) denies access to 'Tar' & this
> 1.5M file wont fit to floppy medium & requires
> about 4 hours to download at 2400 baud!!!

  The problem is with your host system that denies you access to 'tar'. If
it helps any I also made availble the 1.37 of GCC for ESIX. It's in a file
called 'gcc386.tar.Z' located in the 'unix_c' files area. It is only the
executables and doc, file size is 327K so it should take 4 hours to
download at 2400.

> Nothings easy, eh????

  Try sex.

---Bob
--
Bob Palowoda   palowoda@fiver              |   *Home of Fiver BBS*
Home {sun}!ys2!fiver!palowoda              | 415-623-8809 1200/2400

In article <5565@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> trw@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Weil timothy) writes:
>Problem with ESIX 'tar' command....Tried
>          'tar xvf ls-lr.Z'    and...
>got messages like
>    1). Bad checksum on directory
>    2). Invalid blocksize (Blocks=20)

This is not a tar problem. The .Z suffix indicates that the file is
compressed, so you need to uncompress it to look at it.  The ls-lR
file from uunet is a file/directory listing of all of the files
available from uunet.  It is plain-text (once it is uncompressed).

>Problem with GCC1371.Tar.Z is that host system
>(Vax Ultrix) denies access to 'Tar' & this
>1.5M file wont fit to floppy medium & requires
>about 4 hours to download at 2400 baud!!!

Once it is uncompressed, it will be around 3 or 4 MB and be even
harder to uncompress.

I would suggest that you split the file, download each part and
then do the following:

	cat gcc.part* | uncompress | tar -xovf -

                                                Sterling, VA 22170