[comp.unix.i386] How is expreserve supposed to work?.

greyham@hades.OZ (Greyham Stoney) (05/28/90)

We've got a problem with expreserve: the normal operation of it under 386/ix
don't work too well.

It's supposed to be able to save editor files for recovery if the system
goes down. The trouble is, editor temporary files are stored in /tmp, which
is erased (as it should be) when the system comes back up.

Isn't something somewhere supposed to feed these editor temporaries into
expreserve to save them before nukeing /tmp when the system comes up?.
Anyone know what is supposed to happen here?.

						thanks,
							Greyham.
--
/*  Greyham Stoney:                            Australia: (02) 428 6476  *
 *    greyham@hades.oz  - Ausonics Pty Ltd, Lane Cove, Sydney, Oz.

omerzu@quando.UUCP (Thomas Omerzu) (06/01/90)

In article <696@hades.OZ> greyham@hades.OZ (Greyham Stoney) writes:
>We've got a problem with expreserve: the normal operation of it under 386/ix
>don't work too well.
[...]
>Isn't something somewhere supposed to feed these editor temporaries into
>expreserve to save them before nukeing /tmp when the system comes up?.

Well, you're right.
In /etc/rc (or whatever it is called on your System)
you will find some statements that erase /tmp.

Immediately before doing this, the system should execute expreserve:
	( cd /tmp ; /usr/lib/expreserve -a )

This will save all editor-temporaries to /usr/preserve
and inform the owners by mail.

Hope this helps.

Thomas Omerzu, omerzu@quando.quantum.de