[comp.unix.i386] VGA X11.4 server problem

wmo@rebma.rebma.mn.org (Bill O'Hanlon) (05/30/90)

I'm having a little getting the X11.4 server going on my machine.

I got past the minor problems with getting it compiled and installed.
I have the dbm libraries, I removed the files ending in ~ in lib/X, etc.

Here's the problem: when I run it, the machine panics.  There's quite a
bit of disk access, and xinit gives a few messages.  These talk about
starting up the X server, using the RT keyboard, and waiting for the
server to respond.

I'm a little curious if the bit about the RT keyboard is correct...

The machine panics with a "parity error on add-on card"...

My VGA card is a Paradise.  I'm running on a 33 MHZ 386; the motherboard
is made by Mylex.

I know the VGA card is fine, because I can run Interactive's X11.3 just
fine, and DOS things that use the card work fine, too.

Anyone seen anything like this?  The things I'm suspicious of, so far,
are
	1) the bit about the RT keyboard--the code in that place
	   mentions the regular PC keyboard as being the other
	   possibility.  I can't figure out why I'm getting RT there,
	   unless I'm s'posed to.

	2) Maybe I've got something set up funny because I have the regular
	   X11.3 package installed?  I did try taking the support for it
	   out of the kernel, but that didn't help.
	   (In case it's not obvious, I moved all the X11.3 stuff out of
	   the way.)

Anyone have any suggestions?  I'm not hurting, because I do have the
regular X product, but r4 would be nice to have.

--
Bill O'Hanlon						 wmo@rebma.mn.org
"Everything in excess!  To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.

erik@westworld.esd.sgi.com (Erik Fortune) (06/05/90)

In article <201@rebma.rebma.mn.org>, wmo@rebma.rebma.mn.org (Bill
O'Hanlon) writes:
> I'm a little curious if the bit about the RT keyboard is correct...
>	1) the bit about the RT keyboard--the code in that place
>	   mentions the regular PC keyboard as being the other
>	   possibility.  I can't figure out why I'm getting RT there,
>	   unless I'm s'posed to.

I haven't looked at the code that was recently posted, but I suspect that
much of it was borrowed from the original IBM code.  First some history on
that server, then a long answer (short answer -- the message isn't a problem).

The IBM VGA server ran (originally) on an RT coprocessor card that fit
into a PS/2; the coprocessor ran BSD un*x.   This combo (PS/2+coprocessor)
was known as a 6152 and was a *nice* little machine.    The server on
this machine was *the same binary* as the server on the RT.   It noticed
where it was running and used the correct screens.   The RT was the first
machine to use the new "converged" keyboard layout, which had the caps
lock featured real prominent-like, an the control key strategically hidden
way down in the corner.   We didn't like this, so we swapped (in software)
the Caps Lock and Control keys.   PCs of this era had accesible control
keys, so we called the option to put the control key somewhere useful "-pckeys"
and the option to use the keys as labelled "-rtkeys."

Eventually, PC keyboards converged and more and more of our users wanted
the control key way down there.  We added an informational message to tell
people which keyboard configuration they were getting so there'd be
no surprises.

Your message ("using RT keyboard") really means "not swapping control and
caps lock."   The code to deal with the keyboard was fairly OS-specific,
so I have no idea if the key to actually swap the keys is still in the
server; this message might be totally vestigal.
The message almost certainly doesn't have anything to do with parity errors.

If this option isn't implemented and you'd like to implement it, look at
the original IBM code.  All this option does is lie about key caps; it
physically swaps the control and caps lock entries in the modifier and
key caps tables.   It's probably 10 or 15 lines of code.

Good luck!
   Erik
   (erik@sgi.com)

Disclaimer:   Needless to say, I didn't work for SGI when all of this was going
     on.   I bear full responsibility for the contents of this article.