[comp.unix.i386] i486, ISC 2.0.2, VPIX, Orchid Prodesigner Plus = bad news

baxter@zola.ICS.UCI.EDU (Ira Baxter) (06/04/90)

I wanted VPIX VGA, plus 1024x768 under X11.  I tried this combination, as I
had feedback from one soul that indicated this works.

Nope.

VPIX + Prodesigner locks up in funny ways; once you lock up the
/dev/console, you have to re-boot.  Commenting out VGAROM, EGAROM in
various combinations in vpix.cnf doesn't have a beneficial effect.
I'm going to hassle Orchid in the morning, but I don't hold out much
hope; the last time I talked to them, they said ISC was working on it.
ISC only says there "are known problems with the Orchid board", but it
wasn't said in a way that gave me faith that anybody at ISC was
looking into it or expected to solve it anytime soon.

Everything else about this system works great with Unix and DOS.

In the meantime...  I'm considering returning the Orchid board.
Anybody used the STB VGA board like this?  There is another VGA board
claimed by ISC to operate 1024x768 under X; since the docs aren't at
this site, I can't remember which it is, but if you have it, you'll
know; any remarks?

Thanks.

--
Ira Baxter

als@bohra.cpg.oz (Anthony Shipman) (06/04/90)

In article <9006032202.aa29658@PARIS.ICS.UCI.EDU>, baxter@zola.ICS.UCI.EDU (Ira Baxter) writes:
> VPIX + Prodesigner locks up in funny ways; once you lock up the
> /dev/console, you have to re-boot.  Commenting out VGAROM, EGAROM in
> Anybody used the STB VGA board like this?  There is another VGA board

I have an STB EM-16 board (1024x768x16 colours). It locks up with VP/ix too.
This only happens when I exit from VP/ix back to UNIX. Solution: Never exit, I
just leave it running in a virtual screen and eventually powerdown. I have
never used it with X.

--
Anthony Shipman                               ACSnet: als@bohra.cpg.oz.au
Computer Power Group

garyb@crpmks.UUCP (Gary Blumenstein) (06/07/90)

In article <9006032202.aa29658@PARIS.ICS.UCI.EDU> baxter@zola.ICS.UCI.EDU (Ira Baxter) writes:
>I wanted VPIX VGA, plus 1024x768 under X11.  I tried this combination, as I
>had feedback from one soul that indicated this works.
>
>VPIX + Prodesigner locks up in funny ways; once you lock up the
>/dev/console, you have to re-boot.
>[..]
>In the meantime...  I'm considering returning the Orchid board.
>Anybody used the STB VGA board like this?
>[..] any remarks?

I'm not exactly sure whether you mean you're trying to do VGA from within
X, for instance

I use the STB VGA EM/16  (16 bit, 512K) board and it works fine under running
a 1024x768 X server on one multiscreen, with a 1024x768 VGA session under
VP/ix running in another multiscreen.  I can switch between the two screens
all day long without any problems.

Aside:  VP/ix also runs in text mode in an xpcterm window under X.  It also
works from a different X server (X terminal) over the ethernet.  Not too
shabby!

graphics setup.  Something like a TI84020 with oodles of memory and it's own
X server.   I selected STB for three reasons;  1024x768, I could afford it,
and because a posting last year said the software engineer who wrote the VGA
X server for ISC uses one.

--
Gary M. Blumenstein, UNIX Network Administrator // CIBA-GEIGY Corporation USA
Phone (914) 347-4700                    7 Skyline Drive, Hawthorne, NY  10532