[comp.unix.i386] Which SCSI disk and tape drives for Xenix/UNIX

sys0001@dircon.uucp (06/05/90)

We're looking at SCSI drives (to run with the Adaptec 1542B SCSI controller
under SCO Xenix 386 GT). We heard that the quality of the Wren series has
suffered since it has been made by Seagate. Is there any truth in this?

The alternatives we are looking at, are: Micropolis 1684 which is a half-height
drive with 345 Mbytes after formating, and one of the Maxtor 300Mbyte drives.

Comments about these, or other (better!) drives would be appreciated.

Also, what is the best 150Mbyte SCSI tape drive for the above configuration.
We are looking for one which will use the standard SCSI drivers built into
Xenix GT (and SCO UNIX). We have been offered a Cipher CP150. Does this
work well?

Replies by mail, please, and I'll summarize.
--
sys0001@dircon.UUCP   or   sys0001%dircon@ukc.ac.uk

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (06/06/90)

>We're looking at SCSI drives (to run with the Adaptec 1542B SCSI controller
>under SCO Xenix 386 GT). We heard that the quality of the Wren series has
>suffered since it has been made by Seagate. Is there any truth in this?

I'd be surprised if Seagate has had enough time since taking over the
Wren stuff to screw them up.  Then again, if anyone can screw up a
hard disk, Seagate can.

>The alternatives we are looking at, are: Micropolis 1684 which is a half-height
>drive with 345 Mbytes after formating, and one of the Maxtor 300Mbyte drives.

I've heard complaints from a number of people about Micropolis and
excessive numbers of bad-blocks.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

esd@liebert.uucp (Eric Scott Deese) (06/07/90)

In article <1990Jun6.151714.330@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
>>The alternatives we are looking at, are: Micropolis 1684 ...
>
>I've heard complaints from a number of people about Micropolis and
>excessive numbers of bad-blocks.

We use several of the Micropolis 1558 (338 MB full-height) and
1568 (772 MB full-height) drives in IBM PS/2s and HP Vectras.
We haven't had any trouble from the Micropolis drives.  I just
wish would could say the same thing about the IBM drives.

Eric Deese (osu-cis!liebert!esd)

micha@gopnbg.gopas.sub.org (Michael Killermann) (06/07/90)

In article <1990Jun5.113359.26250@dircon.uucp> sys0001@dircon.uucp () writes:
>We're looking at SCSI drives (to run with the Adaptec 1542B SCSI controller
>under SCO Xenix 386 GT). We heard that the quality of the Wren series has
>suffered since it has been made by Seagate. Is there any truth in this?

We are using (or used) the CDC Wren 190 MB HH, 340 MB FH and 630 MB FH SCSI,
also we have the Maxtor 4380 (340 MB net) and new, the Conner CP 3200.

The CDC 630 MB is very fast (but the WREN Runner is faster !). We have no
quality-problems since seagate buy's CDC.
The MAXTOR is a little bit slow (for today 28 mS is not the best).
But the nicest HD is the Conner. It is so quite that you mean the Disk is
defect (we use it also in our MAC CI). The Conner are only in 40/104/209 MB
avaiable but take two and you have a very, very fast SCSI-System that works
with every OS (we have SCO Xenix GT, SCO UNIX, SCO ODT and Interactive 386/ix
with the Adaptec 1542A+B).

The speed under Xenix GT is very bad under SCO UNIX/ODT good and with 386/ix
very fast (faster than SCO !!!).

I hope this help

Micha

|       Michael Killermann mk@gopas.sub.org  |  MSN:M.Killermann         |
|  DVS DV-Support und Beratungsgesellschaft mbH  8508 Wendelstein, FRG   |
|In der Gibitzen 24  Tel: +49 9129-2 64 55  Fax: +49 9129-3402	         |

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (06/07/90)

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
>>We're looking at SCSI drives (to run with the Adaptec 1542B SCSI controller
>>under SCO Xenix 386 GT). We heard that the quality of the Wren series has
>>suffered since it has been made by Seagate. Is there any truth in this?
>
>I'd be surprised if Seagate has had enough time since taking over the
>Wren stuff to screw them up.  Then again, if anyone can screw up a
>hard disk, Seagate can.

Oh yea, I had a Wren VI DOA.  Whether Seagate screwed it up or not is still to
be decided.  I have NEVER seen an Imprimis drive that was DOA.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Small memory model only for
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | Unix?  Get the (*bleep*) out
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | of here!
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 */

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (06/07/90)

In article <1990Jun5.113359.26250@dircon.uucp>, sys0001@dircon.uucp writes:
> We're looking at SCSI drives (to run with the Adaptec 1542B SCSI controller
> under SCO Xenix 386 GT). We heard that the quality of the Wren series has
> suffered since it has been made by Seagate. Is there any truth in this?
>
> The alternatives we are looking at, are: Micropolis 1684 which is a half-height
> drive with 345 Mbytes after formating, and one of the Maxtor 300Mbyte drives.
>
> Comments about these, or other (better!) drives would be appreciated.
>
> Also, what is the best 150Mbyte SCSI tape drive for the above configuration.
> We are looking for one which will use the standard SCSI drivers built into
> Xenix GT (and SCO UNIX). We have been offered a Cipher CP150. Does this
> work well?
>
> Replies by mail, please, and I'll summarize.
> --
> sys0001@dircon.UUCP   or   sys0001%dircon@ukc.ac.uk

I'm using ESIX.  The Adaptec works fine.  I've got a cheapo Seagate ST296N
running on it currently.  I've set up and used a Conner CP3200 on it and it
works just fine, also, but I've since put that drive on my Amiga.

As for tapes, I'm using a Wangtek 5150 SCSI drive, also on the Adaptec.  No
problems so far.  Backups I do are "cd /; find . -print -cpio /dev/rmt/stape4"
and away it goes. (the Wangtek is set to SCSI ID 4).

--
  .-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
 / [- O] Rick Stevens (All opinions are mine. Everyone ignores them anyway.) \

lee@ulysses.att.com (Lee Begeja[cwc]) (06/07/90)

> >We're looking at SCSI drives (to run with the Adaptec 1542B SCSI controller
> >under SCO Xenix 386 GT).
> >The alternatives we are looking at, are: Micropolis 1684 which is a half-height
> >drive with 345 Mbytes after formating, and one of the Maxtor 300Mbyte drives.
>
> I've heard complaints from a number of people about Micropolis and
> excessive numbers of bad-blocks.

We have been using Micropolis ESDI drives in our AT&T 6386 machines for
over 2 years and we have not had any problems with the hard drive in any
of our 50 or so 6386's.  This is in contrast to a slew of problems
we had with Miniscribe drives in our 6300+ machines.

I am personally very happy with Micropolis and we dont have a problem
with excessive bad blocks. (my 2 drives have bad block counts of 13 and 3
which isn't excessive to me)

Lee Begeja  att!ulysses!lee 201/582-5777