[comp.unix.i386] the wonders of SCSI

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (05/27/90)

I did my first install of a SCSI system last evening.  I was surprised
to find that no low-level formatting was required.  Is this usual, or is
this something that the manufacturer or distributor of my disk just
happened to do?  It made the install wonderously easy - truly a plug 'n
play event.  All other issues aside, just the time saved paid for the
difference between ESDI and SCSI.
--
Chip Rosenthal                            |  You aren't some icon carved out
chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM                  |  of soap, sent down here to clean

ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury) (05/27/90)

SCSI Easy?!?!?!

HA!
I'v just spent the evening and night tring to get a maxtor 330MB scsi up
and working with ISC 2.0.2.  The drive is there, but there is no manual
entries to RTFM for getting the thing integrated into the damn system.

A little more info:  primary AT standard controller with 2 80 MB disk
drives each split into 2 sections (root/usr on 0  and  news/bbs on 1).
These drives fsck and mount quite well.  (even if the /etc/partitions no
longer correctly ids the drives! HELP on recovery for /etc/partitions is
also needed.)   The maxtor and adaptec 1542A (intr and dma and such are
all correct.) are in place and work (sort of!).  I can mkfs/fsck/fsstat
the scsi drive (as /dev/dsk/c1d0s0 or c1d0p0) BUT! no variant of
/etc/mount will let me mount the device any where on the filesystem!

	mount: /dev/dsk/c1d0s0 no such device

stringing the mount command is non-revealing.  It doesnt even go look at
the device before telling that.  The fsck does play with the correct
disk, but mount is obstinate.

	There is some strange conflict between the release notes/os
guide/ and what trivial items there are in the docs.

	Any help appreciated.  It's been a
LLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGG night.

					Greg
--
Gregory G. Woodbury @ The Wolves Den UNIX, Durham NC
UUCP: ...dukcds!wolves!ggw   ...mcnc!wolves!ggw           [use the maps!]

In article <1990May27.092900.828@wolves.uucp> ggw@wolves.UUCP (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:
>These drives fsck and mount quite well.  (even if the /etc/partitions no
>longer correctly ids the drives! HELP on recovery for /etc/partitions is
>also needed.)

There is an option on the mkpart(1M) command which builds a copy of
the /etc/partitions from the vtoc itself.  See the man page for more
info.

>  The maxtor and adaptec 1542A (intr and dma and such are
>all correct.) are in place and work (sort of!).  I can mkfs/fsck/fsstat
>the scsi drive (as /dev/dsk/c1d0s0 or c1d0p0) BUT! no variant of
>/etc/mount will let me mount the device any where on the filesystem!
>
>	mount: /dev/dsk/c1d0s0 no such device

"no such device" is the ENXIO error number which usually means the
device driver for /dev/dsk/c1d0s0 is not configured into the kernel.

I would verify the major/minor device number for the c1d0s0 entry.

I find it hard to believe that the fsck actually worked on the
disk drive through that /dev entry (c1d0s0).

Another possibility may be that you set up the file system to be a 2K
file system and the 2K stuff isn't compiled into the kernel.

>stringing the mount command is non-revealing.  It doesnt even go look at
>the device before telling that.

What mount does do is pass you arguments as appropriate to the mount
system call.  It does not directly access your file system.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury) (05/28/90)

cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

>ggw@wolves.UUCP (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:
>>
>>These drives fsck and mount quite well.
>
>>  The maxtor and adaptec 1542A (intr and dma and such are
>>all correct.) are in place and work (sort of!).  I can mkfs/fsck/fsstat
>>the scsi drive (as /dev/dsk/c1d0s0 or c1d0p0) BUT! no variant of
>>/etc/mount will let me mount the device any where on the filesystem!
>>
>>	mount: /dev/dsk/c1d0s0 no such device
>
>"no such device" is the ENXIO error number which usually means the
>device driver for /dev/dsk/c1d0s0 is not configured into the kernel.

	Having just spent most of the night persuing the problem....
A newly configured kernel is in place with the aha1540 driver, includes
all the available filesystem types, etc. etc...  (Kernels are easy to
make).

>I would verify the major/minor device number for the c1d0s0 entry.
>
>I find it hard to believe that the fsck actually worked on the
>disk drive through that /dev entry (c1d0s0).

	The strangest part of this whole mess is that the drive can be
mkfs's and fsck's perfectly, mkpart seems to talk to the drive some of
the time and fsstat report the filesystems are fine - they all talk to
the device (evidenced by activity of the appropriate duration.)

	The only program that is complaining about the drive is
/etc/mount!  The first time through, it seems to take a bit longer than
subsequent attempts and they consistently report the "no such device"
(which is nominally the ENXIO - errno #6 "io on special file refers to
subdevice which does not exist or is beyond the limits of the device.")

	I have tried various combinations of c1d0s0 and c1d0p0 and other
things.  At this point my only options may be to back up everything and
start over from scratch!

>Another possibility may be that you set up the file system to be a 2K
>file system and the 2K stuff isn't compiled into the kernel.
	NO.  The 2k stuff is in place in kernal and the fsys was made
with 1K blocks.

>>stringing the mount command is non-revealing.  It doesnt even go look at
>>the device before telling that.
>
>What mount does do is pass you arguments as appropriate to the mount
>system call.  It does not directly access your file system.

	That I understand, I may try writing a simplistic test prog or
two to probe the device.

	Thank you, Connor, for a rapid response,  I hope things are a
bit clearer in the light of day (rather than at the end of a long,
frustrating, session.)

				Greg
--

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (05/29/90)

>I did my first install of a SCSI system last evening.  I was surprised
>to find that no low-level formatting was required.  Is this usual, or is
>this something that the manufacturer or distributor of my disk just
>happened to do?  It made the install wonderously easy - truly a plug 'n
>play event.  All other issues aside, just the time saved paid for the
>difference between ESDI and SCSI.

Although SCSI drives are often shipped pre-formatted I've seen
recommendations, several different places, to format them again upon
installation.  This helps to make up for any changes that may have
occurred to the drive during shipping, and to find any new bad blocks
that may have developed.

Sun also recommends re-formatting if you decide to change the
orientation of a drive (horizontal vs. vertical mount).

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

gsteckel@diag2.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Steckel - Sun BOS Software) (05/29/90)

>ggw@wolves.UUCP (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:
>>
>>These drives fsck and mount quite well.
>
>>  The maxtor and adaptec 1542A (intr and dma and such are
>>all correct.) are in place and work (sort of!).  I can mkfs/fsck/fsstat
>>the scsi drive (as /dev/dsk/c1d0s0 or c1d0p0) BUT! no variant of
>>/etc/mount will let me mount the device any where on the filesystem!
>>
>>	mount: /dev/dsk/c1d0s0 no such device

Having just been through a fun day replacing a CDC 941??-154 with a Miniscribe
9380S, I have a few suggestions and questions:

What partitions do you have set up?  What does /etc/partitions say about your
drive?  What does "/etc/mkpart -t vp" say?
If you have no entries in your /etc/partitions for the new drive, try
copying the entries for an existing disk, decode them with the /etc/mkpart
documentation, edit them to match your real disk, and make a vtoc with
/etc/mkpart.  Also label the volume (and I've forgotten the name of the
utility... /etc/dlabel?)

I don't thing you want to mount /dev/dsk/c1d0s0...  slice 's0' is not (according
to TFM) normally a mountable slice.  If you have only mountable one slice,
/dev/dsk/c1d0s1 is the likeliest name.  You should have done mkfs on
/dev/rds/c1d0s[134...], depending on which partitions are defined in
/etc/partitions.

If you have defined more than one slice using the default utilities, you will
probably have `c1d0s1', `c1d0s3', and `c1d0s4' as mountable partitions.

Note to ISC: 2.0.2 sysadm scripts CREATE 'disk01' in /etc/partitions when
you add a hard disk, but LOOK FOR 'disk1' when you ask it to list drive status.
More info if you want it by email.

It would be very useful to have a `upgrade main disk' utility script in sysadm.
Initial setup of the new disk as an additional disk took only a few minutes.
Copying the data from the old to new disk with cpio took only a few more.

BUT: Changing the new disk to be a bootable root disk was no fun!
It took most of a day to get the boot sectors, partitions, and names right!
UNIX `fdisk' doesn't know about creating extended DOS partitions, and DOS
fdisk wiped out the UNIX partitions trying to fix that!  (Luckily the UNIX
vtoc was still intact, so just change the SCSI address jumpers for the 45th
time, reboot, and re-fdisk...)

I hope this helps.
    regards,
	geoff steckel (gwes@wjh12.harvard.EDU)
			(...!husc6!wjh12!omnivor!gws)
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Sun Microsystems, despite the From: line.
This posting is entirely the author's responsibility.

ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury) (05/31/90)

gsteckel@diag2.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Steckel - Sun BOS Software) writes:
>>ggw@wolves.UUCP (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:
>>>
>>>	mount: /dev/dsk/c1d0s0 no such device
>
>What partitions do you have set up?  What does /etc/partitions say about your
>drive?  What does "/etc/mkpart -t vp" say?

	That was the weirdness that was throwing me.  mkpart kept giving
strange answers.  Then I tried it again (when fully awake!) and it
finally worked!

>If you have no entries in your /etc/partitions for the new drive, try
>copying the entries for an existing disk, decode them with the /etc/mkpart
>documentation, edit them to match your real disk, and make a vtoc with
>/etc/mkpart.  Also label the volume (and I've forgotten the name of the
>utility... /etc/dlabel?)

	final effective sequence:

	1.  /etc/diskconfig on /dev/dsk/c1d0p0 to get basic geometry
		(be careful - some of the /etc/disk* commands will trash
		/etc/partitions - make a backup!)

	2.  run fdisk /dev/dsk/c1d0p0 and make unix partitions
	3.  put the basic disk "stanza" in /etc/partitions
	4.  run mkpart -i diskNN to create initial vtoc
	5.  backup /etc/partitions and run /etc/disksetup
		this will fail! but partition stanzas will be placed in
		/etc/partitions for your selected configuration.
	6.  check /etc/partitions to make sure it isn't corrupted (you
		did make that backup didn't you?) and add the new
		stanzas for the device to the /etc/partitions file.
		Probably need to change names from *x to *NN.
	7.  mkpart -P partition-name diskNN
		this is for each of the partitions you configured.
	8.  now that the partitions are on the drive (verify with mkpart
		-t pv diskNN) note the partition numbers.
	9.  mkfsys /dev/rdsk/c1d0s<part#> ....
		this is where the real file system is made.
		If you are doing this on a drive that needs remapping,
		do a mkpart -v diskNN to perform a surface analysis and
		populate the alternates table.
	10. labelit /dev/dsk/c1d#s# fsname volname
		optional, but highly desireable step, keeps mount from
		complaining about mouting <> on /whatever.  The fsname
		should be the last component of the path that the
		section will be mounted on.
	11. mount /dev/dsk/c1d#s# /path/name
	12. cd /path/name and hand build a lost+found directory!
		try to make the lost+found directory inode 3, then cd to
		the new lost+found and create a WHOLE LOT of empty
		files.  This is to make the lost+found directory itself
		of a large enough size to be usefull in the case of a
		crash.  rm all the files just made ;-)
	13. edit /etc/fstab to add the new device and its mount point.

	VOILA!

	This is quite similar to the perigrinations that most normal
	unixes go thru in making a new drive, but the specifics of
	making partitions and slices and whatever are a bit different
	from the ole pdp-11 and vax stuff I used to do, and the Opus
	stuff I also do.

	This is for ISC 2.0.2, it is also similar to what a friend went
	thru for adding a big scsi to ESIX.  (Of course, he get back in
	town AFTER I get this mess worked out ;-)

	Note, that when mounting a 300MB scsi partition on ISC, it will
	take a few minutes for the system to read the free list into
	memory!  It also chews up some of the available memory for the
	system.

>I don't thing you want to mount /dev/dsk/c1d0s0...
> slice 's0' is not (according
>to TFM) normally a mountable slice.  If you have only mountable one slice,
>/dev/dsk/c1d0s1 is the likeliest name.  You should have done mkfs on
>/dev/rds/c1d0s[134...], depending on which partitions are defined in
>/etc/partitions.
>
>If you have defined more than one slice using the default utilities, you will
>probably have `c1d0s1', `c1d0s3', and `c1d0s4' as mountable partitions.

	As your note pointed out (in a deleted section) the "default"
	utilities are very buggy.  Using them, I managed to wipe out
	/etc/partitions and almost lost my root drive vtoc!  Thanks to
	Larry Jones for the info on mkpart that saved me.
--
Gregory G. Woodbury @ The Wolves Den UNIX, Durham NC
UUCP: ...dukcds!wolves!ggw   ...mcnc!wolves!ggw           [use the maps!]
Domain: ggw@cds.duke.edu     ggw%wolves@mcnc.mcnc.org
[The line eater is a boojum snark! ]           <standard disclaimers apply>

dougp@ico.isc.com (Doug Pintar) (06/01/90)

Adding a hard disk to an existing controller or adding a new controller
(or SCSI adapter) and drive(s) really doesn't have to be all that hard,
gang.  You can either take the long road described previously in this
thread, or just say 'sysadm addharddisk' and let it do all the work.
Myself, I'm lazy and don't try to reinvent stuff there's already scripts
to do.  I'll go back to sleep now.  :-)

Doug Pintar

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (06/02/90)

In article <1990May27.092900.828@wolves.uucp> ggw@wolves.UUCP (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:
>SCSI Easy?!?!?!
>
>HA!
>I'v just spent the evening and night tring to get a maxtor 330MB scsi up
>and working with ISC 2.0.2.  The drive is there, but there is no manual
>entries to RTFM for getting the thing integrated into the damn system.

Greg -

	I can sympathize with you.  I've done many, _MANY_ installations of
ISC 2.0.2 (don't get excited, ISC - it's always the same machine!) with ESDI,
RLL, SCSI drives.  The easiest time I ever had was with a SCSI: Adaptec 1542A
plus CDC/IMPRIMIS/S-word Wren V or VI (I forget - the 600 Mbyte goodie).  The
worst time I ever had (am still having) is eggzactly the same machine (Everex
STEP/25) and above compoments EXCEPT replace the CDC/IMPRIMIS/S-word drive with
a MAXTOR XT-3280 that a co-worker found laying around in our (internal) PC
Service center that they didn't know what to do with.

	This Maxtor has been a royal pain in the ass!  The only thing that
will reliably format it is the scsicntl program from adaptec: even the
internal (BIOS) formatter can't create a reliably-writable disk!  (Symptom:
DOS's fdisk acts as though it's creating a partition table but after
rebooting - expecting to do the high-level DOS format, you find the
partition table hasn't been created!).  I had better luck formatting it with
a WD 7000ASC controller (fairly old - it's not a FAST version) and that
worked fine - but I can't run UNIX on that controller.

	I _think_ I've got it on the run now.  I'm installing ISC 2.0.2 from
my tapes.  I'll know in less than an hour if it's working or not...  I
_never_ had this kind of problem with the CDC... drive.  I'm beginning to
wonder id the controller was [is?] trying to talk faster than the drive can.
I mean, the drive isn't particularly new - maybe it's old technology...

kEITHe

PS - I actually have two of these Maxtor drives; the other one doesn't work
     any better.

ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury) (06/03/90)

In article <1990May31.200327.15906@ico.isc.com>
dougp@ico.ISC.COM (Doug Pintar) writes:
>Adding a hard disk to an existing controller or adding a new controller
>(or SCSI adapter) and drive(s) really doesn't have to be all that hard,
>gang.  You can either take the long road described previously in this
>thread, or just say 'sysadm addharddisk' and let it do all the work.
>Myself, I'm lazy and don't try to reinvent stuff there's already scripts
>to do.  I'll go back to sleep now.  :-)

	That's nice, go back to sleep, you stupid ASSHOLE!

	As an early item in the thread noted, your "precious" little
sysadm scripts DID NOT WORK CORRECTLY!  If the d*mned /etc/disk*
routines worked right (i.e. didn't assume something illegal about the
particular number of drives and which drive was being installed) then
none of this painful affair would have made it to the net in the first
place.

	Besides, I've probably forgotten more about the sysadm scripting
system than you ever knew.

	Its no wonder that ISC had a bad reputation for customer support
if you are an example of their finest.  This is the second time that I
have found problems with pieces of ISC code and had absolutly no help
from ISC on the problem.  "Call your dealer" is nice, but what do you do
when its more likely that your dealer calls you when he has a problem
with the product!

	And YES, I am quite angry about your flip little response.  Will
I keep using ISC products?  (probably - they're a d*mn sight better IMHO
than the other '386 unixs that I have played with.)
--

als@bohra.cpg.oz (Anthony Shipman) (06/04/90)

In article <7598@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM>, keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
> In article <1990May27.092900.828@wolves.uucp> ggw@wolves.UUCP (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:
> >SCSI Easy?!?!?!
> >
> >HA!
> >I'v just spent the evening and night tring to get a maxtor 330MB scsi up

> 	This Maxtor has been a royal pain in the ass!  The only thing that
> will reliably format it is the scsicntl program from adaptec: even the
> internal (BIOS) formatter can't create a reliably-writable disk!  (Symptom:

I run ISC 2.0.1 with a TMC881 controller and an XT4380S. The only problem I had
was getting the UNIX driver to go when I build my own kernel. For some
God-only-knows reason ISC only allow the TMC881 to be on IRQ5 whereas it is
supplied jumpered for IRQ13 and that's where I want it.

After much mucking about I figured out how to patch the space.c file to get
what I wanted.  Oddly enough the kernel on the boot disk worked perfectly with
the TMC881 on IRQ13!

I haven't had to format the Maxtor and it has been running fine.
--
Anthony Shipman                               ACSnet: als@bohra.cpg.oz.au
Computer Power Group

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (06/05/90)

>In article <1990May31.200327.15906@ico.isc.com>
>dougp@ico.ISC.COM (Doug Pintar) writes:
>>Adding a hard disk to an existing controller or adding a new controller
>>(or SCSI adapter) and drive(s) really doesn't have to be all that hard,
>>gang.  You can either take the long road described previously in this
>>thread, or just say 'sysadm addharddisk' and let it do all the work.
>>Myself, I'm lazy and don't try to reinvent stuff there's already scripts
>>to do.  I'll go back to sleep now.  :-)
>
>	That's nice, go back to sleep, you stupid ASSHOLE!

On behalf of the rest of us who value the ability to communicate
with vendors in this forum, please accept our apology for this
outburst.

I guess manners and civility don't always seem necessary when you're
conversing with a monitor and keyboard and there are no warm bodies in
site.

If someone called me an asshole in a public forum I'd certainly think
twice before returning to that forum again.  I hope this guys gaff
doesn't chase you guys away.  We need you.

There's one in every crowd I guess.  And this guy certainly wasn't
speaking for anyone else.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

neese@adaptex.UUCP (06/08/90)

>>SCSI Easy?!?!?!
>>
>>HA!
>>I'v just spent the evening and night tring to get a maxtor 330MB scsi up
>>and working with ISC 2.0.2.  The drive is there, but there is no manual
>>entries to RTFM for getting the thing integrated into the damn system.
>>

>Greg -
>
>	I can sympathize with you.  I've done many, _MANY_ installations of
>ISC 2.0.2 (don't get excited, ISC - it's always the same machine!) with ESDI,
>RLL, SCSI drives.  The easiest time I ever had was with a SCSI: Adaptec 1542A
>plus CDC/IMPRIMIS/S-word Wren V or VI (I forget - the 600 Mbyte goodie).  The
>worst time I ever had (am still having) is eggzactly the same machine (Everex
>STEP/25) and above compoments EXCEPT replace the CDC/IMPRIMIS/S-word drive with
>a MAXTOR XT-3280 that a co-worker found laying around in our (internal) PC
>Service center that they didn't know what to do with.
>
>	This Maxtor has been a royal pain in the ass!  The only thing that
>will reliably format it is the scsicntl program from adaptec: even the
>internal (BIOS) formatter can't create a reliably-writable disk!  (Symptom:
>DOS's fdisk acts as though it's creating a partition table but after
>rebooting - expecting to do the high-level DOS format, you find the
>partition table hasn't been created!).  I had better luck formatting it with
>a WD 7000ASC controller (fairly old - it's not a FAST version) and that
>worked fine - but I can't run UNIX on that controller.

I have posted this many times, but some still haven't figured it out.  The
3000 series drive from Maxtor does not comply with the SCSI standard.  It
violates the arbitration scheme of SCSI.  There may be other problems, but
that is the worst one of all.  I got some mail recently that many folks are
saying that the 154x adapter cannot support multiple drives reliably.  In
all cases, the drives were the 3280S Maxtor/Newbury.  The 154x adapter cannot
and will not work reliably with a SCSI device that does not adhere to the
SCSI standard.  The SCSI protocol on the 154x is done in hardware and not
software.  Save yourself a lot of grief and do not use these devices on the
154x adapter.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Senior SCSI Applications Engineer
			UUCP @  uunet!swbatl!texbell!
				  {cpe,merch,nominil}!adaptex!neese
				uunet!mlite!adaptex!neese