[comp.unix.i386] xdm question

paone@aramis.rutgers.edu (Phil Paone) (06/07/90)

Hi,

Has anyone managed to get xdm to work under any of the 386 Sys V
varients?  I have been trying to get it to run on SCO Unix, to no
avail.  The closest I have been able to get, is a message to the xdm-error
file which says "xdm must be run from the console", and I was running
it from the console.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Phil
--
Phil Paone
attmail!ppaone

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (06/07/90)

In article <Jun.7.07.39.10.1990.1082@aramis.rutgers.edu> paone@aramis.rutgers.edu (Phil Paone) writes:
>Has anyone managed to get xdm to work under any of the 386 Sys V
>varients?

Works fine for me under 386/ix.  I put this line into /etc/inittab:

xw:23:respawn:/usr/bin/X11/xdm -nodaemon

If I had more than one server, I'd use multiple lines each with a -server
option.
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus|spdcc}!esegue!johnl

john@labtam.oz (John Carey) (06/08/90)

In article <Jun.7.07.39.10.1990.1082@aramis.rutgers.edu>, paone@aramis.rutgers.edu (Phil Paone) writes:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone managed to get xdm to work under any of the 386 Sys V
> varients?  I have been trying to get it to run on SCO Unix, to no
> avail.  The closest I have been able to get, is a message to the xdm-error
> file which says "xdm must be run from the console", and I was running
> it from the console.

We have xdm running on Labtam Delta's under UNIX System VR3.2 also System VR4

The message you are getting is from xdmshell - NOT xdm

I have no expereince with xdmshell - a work around would be to run xdm directly

					John Carey
					Labtam Information Systems Pty Ltd