[comp.unix.i386] Why is /dev/lp slow?

dave@westmark.UU.NET (Dave Levenson) (05/29/90)

Just upgraded from AT&T SysV/386r3.2 to SysV/386r3.2.2.  Nothing in
the hardware has changed.  The printer on /dev/lp is a 480-cps HP
"Rugged-Writer" which has always worked well, and at full speed, on
this system.

Since upgrading to 3.2.2, the printer has slowed to about 30 cps or
so.  It is equally slow whether we use the lp print spooler or write
directly to /dev/lp, so I think it's in the driver, and not in the
spooler.

Can anybody tell me what I've got wrong?

--
Dave Levenson			Voice: 201 647 0900  Fax: 201 647 6857
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave

rubin@cbnewsl.att.com (Mike Rubin) (06/02/90)

In article <110@westmark.UU.NET> dave@westmark.UU.NET (Dave Levenson) writes:
>Just upgraded from AT&T SysV/386r3.2 to SysV/386r3.2.2.  Nothing in
>the hardware has changed....
>Since upgrading to 3.2.2, the printer has slowed to about 30 cps or so.

Any other board in the system (whether it has a Unix driver installed
or not) using interrupt 7, will cause this behavior -- it will eat
some of the interrupts that come from the lp port.

Make sure you have no extraneous boards in your box.

--Mike Rubin <mike@attunix.att.com>

bret@codonics.COM (Bret Orsburn) (06/07/90)

In article <1990Jun1.184946.17448@cbnewsl.att.com> rubin@cbnewsl.att.com (Mike Rubin) writes:
>In article <110@westmark.UU.NET> dave@westmark.UU.NET (Dave Levenson) writes:
>>Just upgraded from AT&T SysV/386r3.2 to SysV/386r3.2.2.  Nothing in
>>the hardware has changed....
>>Since upgrading to 3.2.2, the printer has slowed to about 30 cps or so.
>
>Any other board in the system (whether it has a Unix driver installed
>or not) using interrupt 7, will cause this behavior -- it will eat
>some of the interrupts that come from the lp port.
>
>Make sure you have no extraneous boards in your box.

A bad cable or connector can do this, too. (At least it could under
Xenix 286, which was the last place I saw this problem.)

If your /ACK signal (Centronics pin 10) is lost, your printer will still
work fine in a polled environment (i.e. DOS) but will slow to a crawl under
Unix (an interrupt-driven environment).

--
-------------------
bret@codonics.com

smarc@wb3ffv.ampr.org (Marc Siegel) (06/08/90)

In article <1990Jun1.184946.17448@cbnewsl.att.com>, rubin@cbnewsl.att.com (Mike Rubin) writes:
> In article <110@westmark.UU.NET> dave@westmark.UU.NET (Dave Levenson) writes:
> >Just upgraded from AT&T SysV/386r3.2 to SysV/386r3.2.2.  Nothing in
> >the hardware has changed....
> >Since upgrading to 3.2.2, the printer has slowed to about 30 cps or so.
>
> Any other board in the system (whether it has a Unix driver installed
> or not) using interrupt 7, will cause this behavior -- it will eat
> some of the interrupts that come from the lp port.
>
> Make sure you have no extraneous boards in your box.
>
> --Mike Rubin <mike@attunix.att.com>

I'm not so sure thats the only reason for the slowdown. I run the same
release and had an Okidata u84 printer on /dev/lp0 & it prints fine.
Yesterday I got an Epson fx286e, plugged it in, and it prints SLOW.

Anybody know why this might happen???

       _                                 |   Marc Siegel
      ' )--,--,                          |   Cockeysville, Maryland
       /  /  / __.  __  _                |   {uunet}!wb3ffv!mas!smarc
      /  /  (_(_/|_/ (_(_'               |   smarc@mas.wb3ffv.AMPR.ORG