[comp.unix.i386] benchmark: 386/20 vs SparcStation 1

tim@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Timothy L. Kay) (06/02/90)

I just ran my ray tracer on my 386 and a SparcStation 1.  The 386 is
20 MHz with a 20 MHz 80387.  The SparcStation 1 is not a 1+, so it
runs at 20 MHz.  I used gcc on the 386, and cc on the SS1.

I found that the SS1 is about 8 times as fast as the 386.  Does this
fit with others' experiences, or did I mess up my benchmark?

I would guess that a 486/25 is roughly 4 times as fast as my 386/20.
Do people find this reasonable?

I would guess that the SLC is about the same speed as the SS1.  Is
this right?

This information is useful in light of the recent SLC vs. 386
discussion that has been going on here.  If you don't need speed, you
can probably get a 386 for less than the SLC.  However, if you need
speed, you need to compare the SLC against a 486.  Then the SLC looks
like a very good price.

I'll probably keep running 386/ix on my 386/20, and add a SLC (which I
can get for an educational price of about $3100.  This way, I get
speed and color.  (I have a Hercules Graphics Station Card which gives
me VGA and 24 bits/pixel.)  (I hope that the X11 1.2 update will give
me both 800x600 non-interlaced and 1024x768 interlaced.  My monitor
can't handle the 1024x768 ni, eventhough the card can.)

Tim

P.S.  I just bought a 14" CTX monitor for about $350 which supports
all the Hercules GSC modes except 1024x768 non-interlaced.  I really
like this monitor and the price is right, too.  I can get the model
number for anybody interested.

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (06/03/90)

In article <15105@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> tim@cit-vax.UUCP (Timothy L. Kay) writes:
>I just ran my ray tracer on my 386 and a SparcStation 1.  The 386 is
>20 MHz with a 20 MHz 80387.  The SparcStation 1 is not a 1+, so it
>runs at 20 MHz.  I used gcc on the 386, and cc on the SS1.
>
>I found that the SS1 is about 8 times as fast as the 386.  Does this
>fit with others' experiences, or did I mess up my benchmark?
>
>I would guess that a 486/25 is roughly 4 times as fast as my 386/20.
>Do people find this reasonable?

I don't think the ray tracer (which I don't have) looks like a typical
application, unless you happen to have a very slow machine. But maybe
it's floating point?

My experience with benchmarking systems is that a SparcStation (and other
risc machines like the DecStation 3100 and the HP 9000/825...) does
extremely well in small tests, but not in larger tests.

Aside from typical benchmark programs my real test is to run a 230 page
document through Latex. This takes a little under 3 minutes on a
SparcStation and a Vax 8550 (around 7 mips) and a little over 3 minutes
on an Everex Step 386/25 with a '387. This 386 box performs about 2x
what a 386/16 does, and the 386/20 is somewhere in between, so I would
guess that a SparcStation is less than 2 times faster than the 386/20
and a 486/25 should be about twice as fast as a SparcStation.

Now, if you want to run X-windows for instance, and you only have VGA
(in whatever form), then the Sparc may do a lot better because VGA
is real slow.

Paul.
|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (06/05/90)

>I found that the SS1 is about 8 times as fast as the 386.  Does this
>fit with others' experiences, or did I mess up my benchmark?

I've compared the SS1 to a Mylex 33MHz 386 (w/ISC 2.0.2) on a number of
different tests and found that they varied widely.  The 386 was
noticeably faster on a number of things, and the SS1 was faster on
others.

The Mylex lacked a 387, but on purely integer things it was often 10%
faster than the SS1.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

amull@Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) (06/07/90)

In article <1990Jun7.023359.12523@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu>, terry@eesun1.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) writes:
> debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) writes:
> WHile LaTeX might be a typical application to run, it is hardly a good
> indicator of raw CPU performance.  LaTeX does far too much disk
> I/O to be a CPU performance indicator.  If you want to test overall
> throughput, that is one thing, but CPU speed is another.
>
> One of our faculty members just ran a spice circuit analysis and found the
> following:
> MIPS machine was 2x faster than our campus dual processor Solborne.
> Solborne was 2x faster than SparcStation I
> SparcStation I was 4x faster than a cached 386/16 with a '386 installed.
                                                           ^^^^^^

I should hope so. Running the benchmark without the 80386 installed
could adversely affect the CPU performance...

But seriously, folks:

	I have a 386/20 (64K cache + 80387) and an i486/25 (Cheetah Gold
	425) and I can run stuff on a lot of UNIX boxes (Sparcstation-1,
	Solbourne Series 5, Sun 3/110, etc.).

	For CPU: the Solbourne Series 5 seems about 2x the SS-1.
	The i486 is a bit quicker than the Sparcstation-1 except in case
	of floating point intensive code, in which case the Sparcstation-1
	is a bit faster. The 386/20 is about 35-40% the speed of the i486
	for CPU, and so it is in the neighborhood of 50% of the SS-1.
	For I/O: The i486 is about 1.5 x the speed of the SS-1. The
	Solbourne is usually loaded so I can't give a good number for it
	based on code I've run. The 386/20 is about 50% of the speed of
	the SS-1.

Moral of the story: the decision between the SS-1 and the i486 is
based more on what software you want to run than on performance.

The 80386/20 is a fine, but old machine. They were very well placed
for price/performance for a while, (if you got one of the faster
ones). Hardware cache (size+design) makes a big difference in the
relative performance of 80386 systems.

The ISA bus is not a millstone around the neck of a fast CPU if the
bus is used to communicate with intelligent peripheral cards like
the ESDI caching controllers, and not allowed to adversely affect
memory access. It, (or the EISA and MCA buses) allow for a wide
variety of expansion possibilities.

The Sparcstation comes with a big monitor and an ethernet connector.
This makes life simple if what you already have is a network, (e.g.
of other Sun workstations).

Later,
Andrew Mullhaupt

srodawa@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Dr. Srodawa) (06/09/90)

I ran the byte unix benchmarks on a SparcStation-1 and a 386-16 with 64K
cache, 4Mbyte main store running SCO Xenix '386 2.3.2.  I too found the
Sparc about 4 times faster. (80387 was installed).  Interesting enough,
in the simulated concurrent user load at the end of the benchmarks
Xenix closed slightly on the Sparc as the concurrent processes increased.
All in all, the 80386 and Xenix stood up pretty well to the challenge.
(Yes, that was the Xenix product and not Unix).

--
| Ronald J. Srodawa               | Internet: srodawa@unix.secs.oakland.edu |
| School of Engineering and CS    | UUCP:     srodawa@egrunix.UUCP          |

pwilcox@paldn.UUCP (Peter McLeod Wilcox) (06/09/90)

In article <1990Jun7.023359.12523@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu>, terry@eesun1.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) writes:
> One of our faculty members just ran a spice circuit analysis and found the
> following:
> MIPS machine was 2x faster than our campus dual processor Solborne.
> Solborne was 2x faster than SparcStation I
> SparcStation I was 4x faster than a cached 386/16 with a '386 installed.

Since both the spice run and the earlier ray tracing test are heavily
dependent on floating point performance, rather than integer and general
cpu speed, it would be interesting to run the tests on 386/486 machines
with the Weitek FPU processors, in addition to the Intel FPU.

The Weitek FPUs are claimed to give a factor of 10 improvement in the
flops number.  This would make the 386/486 more than competitive with
the SS1 (if true :).

PS:  I am assuming, of course, that the ray tracer didn't use integer
math.
--
Pete Wilcox		...gatech!nanovx!techwood!paldn!pwilcox