[comp.unix.i386] hardware costs, again...

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (05/25/90)

In article <35O3P93@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
-In article <5623@seac.UUCP> wain@seac.UUCP (Wain Dobson) writes:
-- I'm getting the feeling that I am spoiled brat as to hardware. Just what
-- is everyone running out there? It would seem that a bare bones UNIX
-- machine, for personal use only, could be:
-
-- 	(1) 386SX
-- 	(2) 4 Megs of memory
-- 	(3) Mouse
-- 	(4) Monochrome Card
-- 	(5) Monochrome Monitor
-- 	(6) 80 Meg drive
-- 	(7) ESDI/SCSI
-
-Less than that... what would be using the mouse for? you're not running
-X in that configuration.
-
-Anyone feel like running up a price on this thing? Sounds like something
-for the frequently asked questions file: "What's the cheapest way to get
-into UNIX on the 80386?".

Based on prices I just saw at a recent computer swap meet:

 	(1) 386SX
               16mhz SX m'board w/ 0k RAM       US$300.00
                        (or)
               16/20mhz SX m'board w/ 0k RAM       350.00
               Baby AT case                         50.00
               200w P/S                             50.00
               101 key tactile keyboard             75.00 *
 	(2) 4 Megs of memory
              70ns SIMM @ 66.00/megabyte           264.00
 	(3) Mouse
              Logitech Hirez Bus Mouse              75.00
 	(4) Monochrome Card
              Taiwan clone VGA (Paradise)          135.00
 	(5) Monochrome Monitor
              Page White VGA mono                  125.00
 	(6) 80 Meg drive                           500.00 *
 	(7) ESDI/SCSI                              350.00 *
                                                 --------
                                                  1924.00 or
                                       subtotal   1974.00
                                                 --------
        (8) ESIX SysV.3.2.D 1-2 User w/
            TCP/IP +
            X Windows +
            Software development + lots more       560.00 (list?)
                                                 --------
                                                  2534.00

* Don't really know, just guessing.  All prices are approximate, except
the SIMMs, which is what *I* went to buy.

I highly recommend spending the extra bucks and getting the VGA card and
using a mono VGA monitor; mono VGA monitors only being about $10.00 more
than Herc' mono monitors.  Then if you want a color monitor later, you'll
already have the adapter.  Plus, ESIX X Windows works just fine on the
mono monitor.

Note: I'm not advertising/selling anything.  I post these prices for their
information content only.  If you want to buy ESIX, call information in the
415 area code to find "the distributor near you."

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov            Jet Propeller Labs
Kaleb Keithley

In article <1990May25.004135.351@ico.isc.com> rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
>peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) trims the system a bit more, then
>asks:
>
>> Anyone feel like running up a price on this thing? Sounds like something
>> for the frequently asked questions file: "What's the cheapest way to get
>> into UNIX on the 80386?".

In the article I just posted, I forgot about a floppy drive and serial/
parallel...
             Teac 1.2m floppy drive       65.00
             AT I/O card w/ 2s/1p         35.00
             previous subtotal          2534.00
                                        -------
                                        2634.00
                                        =======

             (and this price includes the OS)

plocher@Eng.Sun.COM (John Plocher) (05/26/90)

+-- In <1990May25.004135.351@ico.isc.com> rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes
| For a system to run X and be nice about it (i.e., trying to be not quite at
| the bottom), take their 25 MHz machine: 4 Mb, both size floppies, 110 Mb
| ESDI, VGA/monitor and ports as above, for $3100.
| 	Add 4 Mb for about $400, modem as above.  Get a decent mouse,
| 	around $100.  Maybe push the disk up to 150.  If you want it to be
| 	snappy, add $500 for cache.  Probably drop one floppy.  This puts
| 	you in the $3500-4000 range.
+--

To put it in perspective, (Yes, I know this sounds like a plug), the new Sun SLC
comes with
	Monochrome 17" display (1152 X 900)
	8 Mb RAM (expandable up to 40 some Meg)
	12.5 MIPS (~8 SPECmarks)
	Ethernet, 2 X serial, 8KHz Audio I/O, kbd & mouse, SCSI controller (no disks)

	SunOS 4.1 Unix Full BSD *and* Full System V compatable
		(In net terms, includes "Base" + "SW Dev" + "Text")
	Standard X11r4 from MIT -or- OpenWindows from Sun (X + NeWS/PostScript)

	$3k-$5k depending on qty, educational discounts, etc
	+ $250 Media charge for OS tape -or-  + $600 Media and full Manual set
	$800 - $1k 3rd party 110Mb SCSI drive

	========

	$4k - $6k (And NO FAN noise!!!)

 -John (Yes I know it isn't a 386 :-) Plocher

cjeffery@cs.arizona.edu (Clinton Jeffery) (05/26/90)

From article <136279@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, by plocher@Eng.Sun.COM (John Plocher):
> +-- In <1990May25.004135.351@ico.isc.com> rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes
>...Some ISC guy was talking affordable X machine, and some Sun guy tried
>to plug a Sparc...

C'mon, dude, Sun won't even talk to people who need a standalone system,
qty. 1 (like, at home for instance); if they did, they'd want zillions.
Even your Sparc advertisement leaves out a lot of things (like the tape
drive required to read the tape you listed).  Anyhow, you were right
about 1 thing: X is a lot more pleasant on a 10+ mips machine.  I really
like the color Sun I use at work.  The only way I can hope to approximate
it for $5K at home is to think 486, SVGA, ESIX, assemble-it-myself...

Of course, I am VERY open-minded; if you Sun guys want to show me how I
can get a complete solution at home for $5K this summer, go for it!!!
--
| Clint Jeffery, U. of Arizona Dept. of Computer Science
| cjeffery@cs.arizona.edu -or- {noao allegra}!arizona!cjeffery

In article <136279@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> plocher@Eng.Sun.COM (John Plocher) writes:
	[story of sun PC & its configuration deleted]
>	$3k-$5k depending on qty, educational discounts, etc
>	+ $250 Media charge for OS tape -or-  + $600 Media and full Manual set
>	$800 - $1k 3rd party 110Mb SCSI drive
>	========
>	$4k - $6k (And NO FAN noise!!!)

Now, give me a phone number & contact where I can get that system for that
price - quantity 1.

All of the pricing that has been posted here about the 386s are quantity
1 Jon Q Public prices and you can't compare them to quantity/educational
discounted prices.

In addition, with a 386 system the capabilities for low cost expansion
totally outweigh the capabilities for the sun.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

leech@homer.cs.unc.edu (Jonathan Leech) (05/26/90)

In article <1990May26.140550.1480@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>All of the pricing that has been posted here about the 386s are quantity
>1 Jon Q Public prices and you can't compare them to quantity/educational
>discounted prices.

    No, *you* can't.  Those of us who can get academic discounts
certainly can, and a DS2100 (for example) looks real good compared to
a 386SX.
--
    Jon Leech (leech@cs.unc.edu)    __@/
"We were driving along, minding our own business, when there was a

jackv@turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (05/27/90)

In article <136279@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> plocher@Eng.Sun.COM (John Plocher) writes:
>To put it in perspective, .... the new Sun SLC
>comes with
[.... description of the SLC deleted....]

>	$4k - $6k (And NO FAN noise!!!)

Don't get me wrong John, I was very interested in this new SPARC and there
is nothing I would love more than to have one on my desk, but come on now
to REALLY put things in perspective as you say let's not over look one
significant cost you forgot to mention. This is a diskless workstation and
therefore it needs a server to run the boot daemon and to hold the required
binaries!! This can run you a mere $20,000 :-} :-}. To be fair of course,
if you distribute the cost of the server over twenty or more SLC's it is
still a really cost-effective proposition, but you can't just compare it
to a standalone 386 box.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (05/28/90)

leech@homer.cs.unc.edu (Jonathan Leech) writes:
> cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
> >All of the pricing that has been posted here about the 386s are quantity
> >1 Jon Q Public prices and you can't compare them to quantity/educational
> >discounted prices.
>     No, *you* can't.  Those of us who can get academic discounts...[etc]

So start a new discussion thread about which manufacturers are willing to
bribe educational institutions in order to boost interest in their hard-
ware.  (I need a less pejorative word than "bribe", I guess, since it's an
eminently sensible business practice for the manufacturer and a good deal
for the purchaser too.  Besides, it's a proven technique in the UNIX com-
munity, all the way back to UNIX itself.:-)

We were talking about machines that people can afford to buy for them-
selves to run UNIX.  If the new Sun box prices don't apply to quantity 1
end user, it's out of this discussion, period.  It *is* an interesting box,
but it's not what we were talking about.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com    uucp: {ncar,nbires}!ico!rcd     (303)449-2870
   ...Simpler is better.

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (05/28/90)

In article <136279@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> plocher@Eng.Sun.COM (John Plocher) writes:
>To put it in perspective, (Yes, I know this sounds like a plug), the new Sun SLC
>	$4k - $6k (And NO FAN noise!!!)

According to UnixWorld's recent overview of the SLC, it requires a Sparc
Server or other NFS-supporting server. Absent that server, just what can
you do with the SLC, quiet though it be. I believe the point of this exercise
is to discuss minimal configurations for a standalone UNIX platform.

leech@ornat.cs.unc.edu (Jonathan Leech) (05/28/90)

In article <1990May27.185737.331@ico.isc.com> rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
>So start a new discussion thread about which manufacturers are willing to
>bribe educational institutions in order to boost interest in their hard-
>ware. (I need a less pejorative word than "bribe", I guess, since it's an
>eminently sensible business practice for the manufacturer and a good deal
>for the purchaser too.  Besides, it's a proven technique in the UNIX com-
>munity, all the way back to UNIX itself.:-)

    This tactic is scarcely confined to Unix workstation vendors.  I
can walk down to the campus bookstore and order a PS/2 or Zenith 386
for well under list.

>We were talking about machines that people can afford to buy for them-
>selves to run UNIX.  If the new Sun box prices don't apply to quantity 1
>end user, it's out of this discussion, period.  It *is* an interesting box,
>but it's not what we were talking about.

    If I buy a DS2100, the university is out of the loop, aside from
my association with it giving me better pricing.  I would work
directly with the area DEC rep and purchase Q1.  I would certainly
consider myself an end user in this case.  You can't simply dismiss
all the people with associations that get them better pricing than you
personally may manage.	Whether Sun will sell Q1 or not, I don't know
(and neither does anyone else in this discussion, apparently), but DEC
certainly will.
--
    Jon Leech (leech@cs.unc.edu)    __@/
    ``There ain't hardly nothin' cuter nor a sleepin' baby tad

terry@eesun1.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) (05/29/90)

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:

>In article <136279@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> plocher@Eng.Sun.COM (John Plocher) writes:
>>To put it in perspective, (Yes, I know this sounds like a plug), the new Sun SLC
>>	$4k - $6k (And NO FAN noise!!!)

>According to UnixWorld's recent overview of the SLC, it requires a Sparc
>Server or other NFS-supporting server. Absent that server, just what can
>you do with the SLC, quiet though it be.

You can add a disk/tape subassembly and speed by all your colleagues
that are using their '386 boxes.  I admit when you add the disk, the
fan noise is back.  ;-(.

Remember, for that price you get BSD UNIX (yea!!) , development
system, TCP/IP, NFS, and SunView for free.  You can then use X11R4 on
it as well for no additional charge.  How much does the UNIX run-time,
development system, TCP/IP run-time and development system, NFS and
X11 add to the price of a '386 machine?

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University

rfarris@rfengr.com (Rick Farris) (05/29/90)

In article <1990May28.193506.21864@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> terry@eesun1.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) writes:

> How much does the UNIX run-time, development system, TCP/IP
> run-time and development system, NFS and X11 add to the
> price of a '386 machine?

$1,000 in th case of SCO Open Desktop.  Admittedly, it's a
2-user license, but you can't convince me you're going to
be running the SLC as a server...

--

Rick Farris   RF Engineering  POB M  Del Mar, CA  92014   voice (619) 259-6793
rfarris@rfengr.com         ...!ucsd!serene!rfarris        serene.UUCP 259-7757

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (05/29/90)

>To put it in perspective, (Yes, I know this sounds like a plug), the new Sun SLC
>comes with
>	Monochrome 17" display (1152 X 900)
>	8 Mb RAM (expandable up to 40 some Meg)
>	12.5 MIPS (~8 SPECmarks)
[...]

Sun's new workstation is very nice for the price.  But it has nowhere
near the flexibility that a peecee type machine does in terms of
expandability.

It helps to have a popular bus (or any bus at all), and lots of competition
keeping prices low on just about anything you could ever want to plug into
a computer -- Sun is still lacking it these areas.

As always, Sun's stuff shows great promise.  But it's still got a ways
to go to match a peecee for a large number of applications.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (05/29/90)

>    This tactic is scarcely confined to Unix workstation vendors.  I
>can walk down to the campus bookstore and order a PS/2 or Zenith 386
>for well under list.

Considering the absurd list price on a PS/2 I'd sure hope so.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

andy@xwkg.Icom.Com (Andrew H. Marrinson) (05/30/90)

In article <1990May28.193506.21864@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> terry@eesun1.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) writes:

>You can add a disk/tape subassembly and speed by all your colleagues
>that are using their '386 boxes.

True, though from the Byte review I just read you can fit your 386
with a faster disk controller than the Sun SLC has.

>Remember, for that price you get BSD UNIX (yea!!) , development
>system, TCP/IP, NFS, and SunView for free.

I doubt if this is true.  With the diskless workstation you presumably
get a license to use the software which resides on your server.  To
run stand-alone you would need to buy the software on some media which
will probably cost extra.  So the savings is probably less substantial
than you make it sound.

Anybody know the real story on what it really costs to make an SLC a
stand-alone workstation?  Am I limited to buying the SCSI peripherals
from Sun?  If so, how much does that cost?  And does anyone know how
you obtain software and what it costs in such a case.

Also, many vendors don't even include licensing fees in their
workstation prices.  Is Sun one of those?  If so how much do you add
to the ca. $5K price for the software license?
--
		Andrew H. Marrinson
		Icom Systems, Inc.

In article <35@raysnec.UUCP> shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:

| According to UnixWorld's recent overview of the SLC, it requires a Sparc
| Server or other NFS-supporting server.

  Sun tells me you can add the hardware to make it standalone.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

In article <1990May28.193506.21864@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> terry@eesun1.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) writes:

| Remember, for that price you get BSD UNIX (yea!!) , development
| system, TCP/IP, NFS, and SunView for free.

  Well, $250. That's not quite free when it comes out of my pocket...
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

amull@Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) (06/01/90)

In article <1057@sixhub.UUCP>, davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
>   Sun tells me you can add the hardware to make it [an SLC] standalone.

What does this add to the price?

Later,
Andrew Mullhaupt

terry@eesun1.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) (06/02/90)

amull@Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) writes:

>In article <1057@sixhub.UUCP>, davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
>>   Sun tells me you can add the hardware to make it [an SLC] standalone.

>What does this add to the price?

It costs about $4000 for a 600 MB disk and 150 MB tape SCSI subsystem.
Smaller disk and tape capacities are cheaper.

--

paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) (06/06/90)

]
]> How much does the UNIX run-time, development system, TCP/IP
]> run-time and development system, NFS and X11 add to the
]> price of a '386 machine?
]
]$1,000 in th case of SCO Open Desktop.  Admittedly, it's a
]2-user license, but you can't convince me you're going to
]be running the SLC as a server...

Why not?  It would blow the doors off any 386-based server.  Sun sells
the SparcStation 1 in a server configuration with disk, but no monitor
or keyboard.  Since the SLC is basically the same CPU, it should make
a decent server for a small network.

Since this is getting a little far afield from the purpose of this
newsgroup, I think I'll just listen for a while.  (Unless someone
says something *really* outrageous!  :-)  )

Paul Allen
Paul L. Allen                       | pallen@atc.boeing.com
Boeing Advanced Technology Center   | ...!uw-beaver!bcsaic!pallen

palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (06/08/90)

From article <1990May25.004135.351@ico.isc.com>, by rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn):
> only if it becomes a "frequently updated answer"!  Prices on this stuff
> change enough that you'd need a monthly update.  (Fortunately, the changes
> are almost all downward.)
                 ^^^^^^^^^
> --
> Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com    uucp: {ncar,nbires}!ico!rcd     (303)449-2870
>    ...Simpler is better.

   Yeah, I wish this could be said about 386 versions of UNIX. Than we
   might start liveing in a real world. :-)

   ---Bob

--
 Bob Palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*                   login: bbs
 Work: {sun,decwrl,pyramid}!megatest!palowoda

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (06/08/90)

>]$1,000 in the case of SCO Open Desktop.  Admittedly, it's a
>]2-user license, but you can't convince me you're going to
>]be running the SLC as a server...
>
>Why not?  It would blow the doors off any 386-based server.  Sun sells
>the SparcStation 1 in a server configuration with disk, but no monitor
>or keyboard.  Since the SLC is basically the same CPU, it should make
>a decent server for a small network.

An SLC would probably make an okay server if you didn't need any ports
or anything.  Remember it doesn't have any slots.  Even the slower Sun
3/60 workstation makes a decent server for a small network.
Disregarding Novell style bogosities, it doesn't take much horsepower
to make a decent Unix network server.  Sun usually recommends that
you make sure your "compute servers" and workstations be up to speed
before worrying about server horsepower.

And I'm not sure the SLC would "blow the doors off any 386..."
Where'd you get your data?  My 33MHz 386 is noticeably faster than a
SparcStation 1 on integer only tasks -- I don't think the networking
code does much floating point...

Granted Sun has had quite a head start at optimizing their networking
code, but I think we'll need some real live tests to answer this one.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

edhall@rand.org (Ed Hall) (06/09/90)

In article <1990Jun8.083211.22300@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
> . . . .
>And I'm not sure the SLC would "blow the doors off any 386..."
>Where'd you get your data?  My 33MHz 386 is noticeably faster than a
>SparcStation 1 on integer only tasks -- I don't think the networking
>code does much floating point...

The SPARCStation, at least, doesn't have an integer multiply
instruction (though it does have a ``multiply step'' instruction to
make it easy to code a multiplication subroutine).  This skews
benchmark results, since unlike many benchmarks most system software
requires few multiplies except for subscript calculations, and Sun's
compiler does a pretty good job of strength-reduction and other tricks
to eliminate these.

I suspect the SLC is the same.

		-Ed Hall
		edhall@rand.org

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (06/11/90)

In article <1990Jun8.083211.22300@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
=>]$1,000 in the case of SCO Open Desktop.  Admittedly, it's a
=>]2-user license, but you can't convince me you're going to
=>]be running the SLC as a server...
=>
=
=An SLC would probably make an okay server if you didn't need any ports
=or anything.  Remember it doesn't have any slots.  Even the slower Sun
=3/60 workstation makes a decent server for a small network.

I have no experience with Suns but have wondered what terminals one
would use on a Sun server in order to take advantage of all those nice
windowy things that Sun has.  SunView, I think?

Thanks,
Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math