[comp.unix.i386] How: Remote print spooling

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (06/07/90)

I would greatly appreciate it if someone (Hey! How 'bout YOU!?) would be good
enough to point me in the direction of the information/instructions I need to
get my ISC 2.0.2 system to be able to use a networked (TCP/IP, NFS) BSD4.3
machine (VAX-11/785) for its attached printer devices.

I've made a first pass at the shelf full of documentation (thinking "it _must_
be in here somewhere; everything *else* is!!!) but haven't stumbled upon it
(if it's even there to trip over) yet.

Muchly thank yew.

kEITHe

PS - bonus points: does anyone recall what the acronym SPOOL stands for?

mre@boulder.colorado.edu (Marcus O. Ertle) (06/08/90)

In article <7625@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
>... I need to
>get my ISC 2.0.2 system to be able to use a networked (TCP/IP, NFS) BSD4.3
>machine (VAX-11/785) for its attached printer devices.
>
>kEITHe

What follows is a quick-and-dirty csh-script that suits my purposes.  I have
this in my $home/bin directory.  ps is a (second) printer on the BSD-side.

]	#!/bin/csh
]	#	lpr (mre)
]	#
]	#	This script sends a file to the [BSD] line printer.
]	#	Marc Ertle
]	#	Mon Mar 12 1990
]
]	if ($#argv == 0 ) then
]		echo "Error: usage is: lpr [-Pps] file"
]		exit (1)
]	endif
]
]	set OPTIONS=" "
]	while ($#argv > 0)
]		if ($1 == "-Pps") then
]			set OPTIONS=($OPTIONS $1)
]		else
]			echo "Sending "$1" to [BSD]..."
]			/bin/cat $1 | \
]			/usr/ucb/rsh [BSD] /usr/ucb/lpr $OPTIONS -J $1 -C mre
]		endif
]		shift
]	end

Crude/slow - but it works for me.  You need printer privileges on the [BSD]
side.  A switch-case would be better for multiple lpr options.  My other
options are to have my file-names ($1) generate burst pages with those
names; and to have my machine-name (mre) on the burst page.

>PS - bonus points: does anyone recall what the acronym SPOOL stands for?
No idea.

Hope this helps.
- Marc

aland@infmx.UUCP (Colonel Panic) (06/09/90)

In article <7625@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
>I would greatly appreciate it if someone (Hey! How 'bout YOU!?) would be good
>enough to point me in the direction of the information/instructions I need to
>get my ISC 2.0.2 system to be able to use a networked (TCP/IP, NFS) BSD4.3
>machine (VAX-11/785) for its attached printer devices.
>
>I've made a first pass at the shelf full of documentation (thinking "it _must_
>be in here somewhere; everything *else* is!!!) but haven't stumbled upon it
>(if it's even there to trip over) yet.
>Muchly thank yew.
>kEITHe

If anyone has useful info here, I, too would appreciate it.  Please
post.  (In my case, going from AT&T 6386s to Sun 3 hosts).

>PS - bonus points: does anyone recall what the acronym SPOOL stands for?

How about "Simultaneous Peripheral Operations On-Line" ...

--
Alan Denney # Informix # aland@informix.com # {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland

 "The driver says, 'One more cup of coffee and I'll be all right...'
  'Pop a Bennie, another Bennie'..."             - The Bobs, "Bus Plunge"

dlr@daver.bungi.com (Dave Rand) (06/10/90)

In article <4455@infmx.UUCP> aland@infmx.UUCP (alan denney) writes:
>In article <7625@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
>>I would greatly appreciate it if someone (Hey! How 'bout YOU!?) would be good
>>enough to point me in the direction of the information/instructions I need to
>>get my ISC 2.0.2 system to be able to use a networked (TCP/IP, NFS) BSD4.3
>>machine (VAX-11/785) for its attached printer devices.
>If anyone has useful info here, I, too would appreciate it.  Please
>post.  (In my case, going from AT&T 6386s to Sun 3 hosts).

I posted information regarding this a while ago, but here it is again.

Mon May 21 12:49:15 PDT 1990

While 386/ix (tm Interactive) has a number of network services from BSD,
lpr is not one of them. This does not cause a real problem, as the
shell scripts of lp can be used to perform remote printing. It is
not a very good solution when interacting with other Sun or BSD
systems.

Jonathan C. Broome <wilbur!jon> did the original port to 386/ix from the
freed lpr sources. I added a few modifications, and re-did the context
diffs from the tar file on uunet (~ftp/bsd-sources/src/network/lpr.tar.Z)

No guarantee that this will work for you, but it works for me.

If you would like the diffs, please drop me mail. If there are too
many requests, I'll post the diffs to alt.sources.

--
Dave Rand
{pyramid|mips|sun|vsi1}!daver!dlr	Internet: dlr@daver.bungi.com

mckim@mildred.lerc.nasa.gov (Jim McKim) (06/11/90)

There is a program called rlp which we use here. I am not sure where
it came from - it has no commentary concerning authorship or
copyrights.  If you can't find it, I might be able to provide a copy.
The rlp program installs as part of the sysV lp spooler and makes
connections to the remote printer socket (515) of designated servers.
Access is, of course, via the sysV lp command.  Different remote
printers are accessed as different destinations in sysV lp (they
have to be created with lpadmin, a simple process).

The program works well, the only missing feature is the lack of banners
with the vanilla rlp.  It is pretty easy to add them.

--
Jim McKim  /  Internet: mckim@mildred.lerc.nasa.gov		"" -