[comp.unix.i386] undocumented AT&T 3.2.2 '386 questions

buhrt@sawmill.uucp (Jeffery A Buhrt) (06/12/90)

Ideas on:

1) Smoothing mouse movement under VP/ix (making it not jump randomly, etc).
	The mouse is a IMSI serial mouse ('Kraft' serial driver under DOS).

2) Keyboard lockup when running vtlmgr and ksh (in gmacs mode).
	Laying on the return (or typing ahead sometimes) to ksh,
	the keyboard will lock up (not respond to any keystrokes).
	The two ways of recovering (unlocking the keyboard) are:
		1) kill -INT [ksh process], from a remote terminal
			(serial, dialup, etc)
		2) unplug the keyboard, and plug it back in
		3) if you had a job in the background, the keyboard will
			return when it exits.
	Ksh is blocked in a read, and the interrupt breaks it out.
	-It appears to be when different processes take control of the
	keyboard.

3) How do you change the cursor from a flashing underscore to something
	else (flashing block)?

AT&T SysV 3.2:
	VP/ix Version 1.01.00
	Ksh Version 6/3/86d
	Unix SysV 3.2.2.2
	vtlmgr (from strings): @(#)/usr/src/add-on/face/pkg/./usr/bin/vtlmgr.sl
				1.1 3.2c 05/25/89 59364 AT&T-SF

Thank you.

						-Jeff Buhrt
						317-477-6000 work
						317-423-4471 home
	{newton.physics.purdue.edu (aka: pur-phy), sequent}!sawmill!buhrt

rubin@cbnewsl.att.com (Mike Rubin) (06/14/90)

In article <1990Jun12.152301.1602@sawmill.uucp> buhrt@sawmill.uucp (Jeffery A Buhrt) writes:
>Ideas on:
>
>1) Smoothing mouse movement under VP/ix (making it not jump randomly, etc).
>	The mouse is a IMSI serial mouse ('Kraft' serial driver under DOS).

Sorry to say, the answer is probably a bus mouse.  "Polling" the serial port
on a timesharing system just isn't smooth.  There is a new VP/IX coming out
for SVR3.2.3 which may help some.

>2) Keyboard lockup when running vtlmgr and ksh (in gmacs mode).

Haven't seen that on SVR3.2.x, but I haven't tested it much since ksh
is not part of the base Unix system until SVR4.  I use ksh in emacs mode
on SVR4.0 and have not seen lockup.

>3) How do you change the cursor from a flashing underscore to something
>	else (flashing block)?

Echo "\033[1c" (escape, open-bracket, one, c) to the console.  Zero sets
it back to underline, 2 sets it to invisible.  (Documented in display(7))
Vi and anything else that issues a "tput reset" will change it back;
you could modify your terminfo for AT386 and change the initialization string.

--Mike Rubin <mike@attunix.att.com>