[comp.unix.i386] Network/Ethernet cards

leigh@dptechno.uucp (Leigh Stivers) (06/09/90)

I am looking for a good ethernet card that will work with Interactive I386
unix 2.0.2.  We have tried the Western Digital EtherCard PLUS but it seems
to have many problems and is not reliable enough.

Please E-MAIL responses to uunet!dptechno!leigh

Thanx,

Leigh Stivers

larry@focsys.uucp (Larry Williamson) (06/11/90)

In article <473@dptechno.UUCP> Leigh Stivers writes:

   I am looking for a good ethernet card that will work with
   Interactive I386 unix 2.0.2.  We have tried the Western Digital
   EtherCard PLUS but it seems to have many problems and is not
   reliable enough.

We've been using the ethercard plus for nearly more than a year and a
half, maybe nearly two. It has been a solid reliable card. It worked
with 1.0.6, 2.0.1 and 2.0.2.

I suggest you have some memory conflicts. Double check the strapping
of *all* your boards. Don't forget the disk controller.

-larry

david@csource.OZ.AU (david nugent) (06/13/90)

In <LARRY.90Jun11094254@focsys.uucp> larry@focsys.uucp (Larry Williamson) writes:

>In article <473@dptechno.UUCP> Leigh Stivers writes:

>   I am looking for a good ethernet card that will work with
>   Interactive I386 unix 2.0.2.  We have tried the Western Digital
>   EtherCard PLUS but it seems to have many problems and is not
>   reliable enough.

>We've been using the ethercard plus for nearly more than a year and a
>half, maybe nearly two. It has been a solid reliable card. It worked
>with 1.0.6, 2.0.1 and 2.0.2.

My impression (gained from experience with ISC 2.0.2) is that the
WD Ethercard plus is less reliable on faster 386's.  They seem to
work well at 25MHZ or less, but have occasional failures on a 33MHZ
machine.

As I said, this is an "impression", as the problems I've had have
yet to be exhaustively diagnosed.  It may be related to ISC's tcp-ip
package, since it seems the problem seems to occur more when the
software is pushed over and beyond it's limits.  However, the
problem we do get (which is a kernel 0x0000000E trap, which then
reports "Parity error on add-on card.\nUnknown address") seems to
occur in sufficient frequency only to be annoying, rather than
one which causes any real hardship.

This occurs despite having changed the Ethernet card 3 times now,
and all other factors in the hardware setup have been eliminated.

david

--
  Unique Computing Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Aust.
  david@csource.oz.au  3:632/348@fidonet  28:4100/1@signet

brando@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (06/14/90)

I obviously don't know of the experiences you have had with Ethernet cards and
other "add-ons", but from my experience in building quite a few 386/486 boxes,
I can tell you that the particular type of motherboard/BIOS combination can
many times yield an "uncompatiable" system.

For example: when I purchased my AMI motherboard and pieced together the rest
of the box, everything advertised was correct; yes the machine would run DOS.
After installing Interactive UNIX on the box, everything was less than
operating. I started having fallouts (white lines across the screen) with my
older video card, tape drive and mouse driver problems running X, and the like.

I not "Joe Expert" on building 386 machines, nor am I qualified to call myself
an expert on installing Unix on those machines, but I can tell you that many
more factors affect a Unix box, than do a DOS machine. For one thing, I
believe Unix is much more picky about interrupts. Newer versions of SCO and
Interactive I believe support shareable interrupts, but older versions did not.

Hope this helps a little so the airwaves weren't wasted...

Brandon