[comp.unix.i386] Wanted: BSD style "w" for System V

heasley@bu-ast.bu.edu (Jim Heasley) (06/16/90)

I'd like to get a copy of code that implements the BSD "w" command under
System V (I'm running Intel System V 3.2.2).  I tried the version on
Simtel20 pd2:<unix-c.sysadmin>syscheck-sysv.tar-z, but it won't compile
with either Intel's C or GCC.  (I believe this was originally posted to
comp.sources.misc.) I found that a couple of includes were missing but
after I put them in I got more errors about missing structures further
into the code which I couldn't figure out and gave up.

If someone has a copy of this that really works would you please mail me
the source code?  Thanks.

Jim Heasley

Department of Astronomy
Boston University (on leave from Univeristy of Hawaii)

Internet:	heasley@bu-ast.bu.edu
Bitnet:		heasley@buasta

In article <58954@bu.edu.bu.edu> heasley@bu-ast.bu.edu (Jim Heasley) writes:
>I'd like to get a copy of code that implements the BSD "w" command under
>System V (I'm running Intel System V 3.2.2).  I tried the version on

If you have a typical TCP/IP package that includes "ruptime" the following
shell will do the job:

	ruptime | grep "^`uname`"
	who -u

The output is as follows:

virtech       up  4+15:52,     1 user,   load 0.46, 0.46, 0.46
cpcahil    ttyaE        Jun 16 07:42   .     1015  telebit t2500 (#5 dial in)

Looks pretty close to me.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170