[comp.unix.i386] GNU gcc & tar under Esix

root@hacker.UUCP (Admin) (06/13/90)

I had this problem under Bell Tech Unix as well, and it's driving me nuts.
I consistently get a directory checksum error on some of the GNU products
(at least that's the only place where I've noticed it).  I'm interested in
hearing from anyone who has either had the same problem, or has done this
successfully or (preferably) both.  I can reproduce the problem with:

cat tar-1.08.tar.Z | uncompress | tar tvf -

I'd appreciate any help at all. Please!!! I'm running out of options. -- SMY

P.S.  On an unrelated topic, does anyone know how to retreive a single file
      from the distrobution media on Esix?  Do I use cpio or do I mount it...?
      I have it on 5 1/4.  Thanks again.

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (06/15/90)

In article <183@hacker.UUCP> root@hacker.UUCP (Admin) writes:
> P.S.  On an unrelated topic, does anyone know how to retreive a single file
>       from the distrobution media on Esix?  Do I use cpio or do I mount it...?
>       I have it on 5 1/4.  Thanks again.

# cd /
# cpio -icvadmu </dev/rdsk/f0q15d path
--
Derek Terveer		det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG

campbell@Thalatta.COM (Bill Campbell) (06/17/90)

:
:cat tar-1.08.tar.Z | uncompress | tar tvf -
:
:I'd appreciate any help at all. Please!!! I'm running out of options. -- SMY
:
:P.S.  On an unrelated topic, does anyone know how to retreive a single file
:      from the distrobution media on Esix?  Do I use cpio or do I mount it...?
:      I have it on 5 1/4.  Thanks again.

I have seen this problem on some systems, notably the Tandy
6000.  The only solution I have found is to uncompress the file
then tar from the uncompressed file:

	zcat filetar > tmp; tar -xvf tmp; rm tmp

works nicely.

--
....microsoft--\                    Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
...uw-entropy----!thebes!camco!bill 6641 East Mercer Way