[comp.unix.i386] PC NFS or others?

benyukhi@motcid.UUCP (Ed Benyukhis) (06/16/90)

Can anyone recommend the software for the following setup.  386/25 running
ESIX or 386/ix needs to be networked with several DOS bases engines.  Need
suggestions on how to accomplish such a set up. Especially on the DOS side.
Is PC-NFS available????  Anything??? Anyone???

Thanks,

Ed.

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (06/16/90)

In article <3538@navy19.UUCP> benyukhi@motcid.UUCP (Ed Benyukhis) writes:
-Can anyone recommend the software for the following setup.  386/25 running
-ESIX or 386/ix needs to be networked with several DOS bases engines.  Need
-suggestions on how to accomplish such a set up. Especially on the DOS side.
-Is PC-NFS available????  Anything??? Anyone???

Sun sells PC-NFS;  Haven't used it to know how good it is.

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov            Jet Propeller Labs
Kaleb Keithley

"So that's what an invisible barrier looks like"

In article <4080@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> kaleb@mars.UUCP (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
>In article <3538@navy19.UUCP> benyukhi@motcid.UUCP (Ed Benyukhis) writes:
>-Can anyone recommend the software for the following setup.  386/25 running
>-ESIX or 386/ix needs to be networked with several DOS bases engines.  Need
>-suggestions on how to accomplish such a set up. Especially on the DOS side.
>-Is PC-NFS available????  Anything??? Anyone???
>
>Sun sells PC-NFS;  Haven't used it to know how good it is.

PC-NFS works pretty well (it does take up something lik 80 - 100 K of
memory on the pc's though).

I have heard good words about PC-Interface (the server for which is included
in 386/ix), so you might want to check it out also.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

paul@actrix.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (06/18/90)

In article <1990Jun16.010848.29014@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>>In article <3538@navy19.UUCP> benyukhi@motcid.UUCP (Ed Benyukhis) writes:
>>-Can anyone recommend the software for the following setup.  386/25 running
>>-ESIX or 386/ix needs to be networked with several DOS bases engines.  Need
>>-suggestions on how to accomplish such a set up. Especially on the DOS side.
>>-Is PC-NFS available????  Anything??? Anyone???
>
>PC-NFS works pretty well (it does take up something lik 80 - 100 K of
>memory on the pc's though).

>I have heard good words about PC-Interface (the server for which is included
>in 386/ix), so you might want to check it out also.

There's another option, folks.  It's called Microsoft LAN Manager.  Last
week I installed HP's version of this, connecting MS-DOS based PC's with
an HP9000 HP-UX (UNIX) box.  It provides similar functionality to PC-NFS,
i.e. the ability to treat UNIX subdirectories as DOS drives (e.g. D:).  It
also supports print spooling redirection of LPT1: to the UNIX printer
of your choice.

On the plus side, it means you don't have to buy PC-NFS or UNIX NFS.
It has quite strong security features, with either user-level or share-
level security.  The spooling is quite nice too.  It runs on
MS-DOS, OS/2, HP-UX and SCO UNIX, and the documentation is up to HP's
usual high standards.

On the minus side, you really have to buy ARPA services for MS-DOS in
order to get ftp, telnet, remsh and rcp.
--
Paul Gillingwater, paul@actrix.co.nz