[comp.unix.i386] Can 16550 replace 82C50B?

ade@clark.uucp (Adrian Miranda) (06/16/90)

I have read that 16550 is a pin for pin replacement for the 16450.
What I am wondering is, can it replace an 82C50B?  I would particularly
like to hear from someone who has done this (if it can be done).
Please mail your response, I will summarize to the net if appropriate.
Also, has anyone ever gotten the FAS serial driver to work with ESIX?

Adrian Miranda
uunet!clark!ade

art@pegasus.com (Art Neilson) (06/18/90)

In article <1990Jun15.211720.628@clark.uucp> ade@clark.uucp (Adrian Miranda) writes:
>I have read that 16550 is a pin for pin replacement for the 16450.
>What I am wondering is, can it replace an 82C50B?  I would particularly
>like to hear from someone who has done this (if it can be done).
>Please mail your response, I will summarize to the net if appropriate.
>Also, has anyone ever gotten the FAS serial driver to work with ESIX?
>
>Adrian Miranda
>uunet!clark!ade

The 82C50B can be replaced by the 16550, the C just means it's a CMOS part,
and the B means it's the newer version of said part.  It's basically the
8250 UART.  It's a good idea to replace this part with the 16550 if you
can, and install FAS 2.06 on your system.  Your throughput at high speeds
will *dramatically* improve.
--
Arthur W. Neilson III		| ARPA: art@pegasus.com
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!pegasus!art