[comp.unix.i386] Big ESDI drives, query, suggestions?

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (06/28/90)

In article <10133@lindy.Stanford.EDU> farber@lindy.UUCP (Hank Farber) writes:
> ...              Does anyone have experience with the bigger Maxtor ESDI
>drives (8760??, >700 Mbytes) or with the 760 Mbyte Fujitsu ESDI drives.  I
>have seen these advertised for around $2200.

I just installed an 8760 last Friday at a site that was running out of space.
Put in a new controller, 1007v instead of the 1007wah because the 8760 is too
fast for the wah controller.

Came up with no problem using their onboard bios formatter and method for
setting the cmos.

Can't tell you how reliable yet.  Pricing to the user was $1699 for the drive
from a local vendor.  This is a refurb and warranted for 1 year.  Dealer
pricing is probaby in the $1500 range on this unit.   Decidedly much faster
than the previous drive, some CDC model that Compaq relabels.

                      : bill@bilver.UUCP