[comp.unix.i386] Warm boot problem

paul@cs.utexas.edu (Supoj Sutanthavibul) (06/28/90)

I am having a warm boot prolbem with my ESIX 386 system.
My configuration is the followings:

	- Micronics 386-33 with 64KB 2-way associative cache
	- 8MB memory
	- AHA1542A SCIS host adapter
	- Fujitsu M2249SA 330 MB drive
	- Paradise Professional VGA

The disk has DOS and ESIX partition.  When cache is enabled,
I would be able to cold boot ESIX (after long shutdown).
But the system will go into infinite loop whenever I try to warm boot
either by CNTRL-ALT-DEL, depressing reset button or cycling the power.
What I got in each loop are BIOS messages, memory check, AHA1542A
messages and a beep.

The problem disappears when I disable cache or reduce it to 32 KB
(direct-map).  The reboot problem never occurs when DOS partition is
active.  The only way to break the loop is to depress a key while the
BIOS is checking the keyboard.  I would get a prompt for continuation
(F1) or setup (F2) after the AHA1542A messages.  If I press F1, ESIX
will boot properly.

Has anyone ever experienced similar problem?

Btw, I was unable to set the DMA transfer speed on the AHA1542A higher
than 5.7 MB/s no matter whether cache is enabled or not.  ESIX will
panic on boot whenever the speed is set at 6.7 or 8 MB/s.

Is it possible to get the speed higher than this?

supoj

caf@omen.UUCP (WA7KGX) (06/29/90)

:
:	- Micronics 386-33 with 64KB 2-way associative cache
:	- 8MB memory
:	- AHA1542A SCIS host adapter
:	- Fujitsu M2249SA 330 MB drive
:	- Paradise Professional VGA

I have the first three items (16MB) and CDC WREN III drive.
Am using a Hercules clone and Microfield T8 for display.

I cannot boot the system (even DOS) with a Orchid Pro Designer Plus 16 bit
512k board, the ISA bus ain't big enough for the 1542A and the Orchid.
Same applied to the tape drive (originally Everex, now Archive).

Without the Orchid VGA the system is rock solid running SCO Unix at full
speed, even 11 mHz i/o bus speed.  With the Orchid the system was flakey
at best.  An old Intel motherboard and ESDI controller don't seem to mind
the Orchid.

Try the system without the VGA and see what happens.  Your mileage may
vary.

neese@adaptex.UUCP (07/01/90)

>/* ---------- "Warm boot problem" ---------- */
>I am having a warm boot prolbem with my ESIX 386 system.
>My configuration is the followings:
>
>	- Micronics 386-33 with 64KB 2-way associative cache
>	- 8MB memory
>	- AHA1542A SCIS host adapter
>	- Fujitsu M2249SA 330 MB drive
>	- Paradise Professional VGA
>
>The disk has DOS and ESIX partition.  When cache is enabled,
>I would be able to cold boot ESIX (after long shutdown).
>But the system will go into infinite loop whenever I try to warm boot
>either by CNTRL-ALT-DEL, depressing reset button or cycling the power.
>What I got in each loop are BIOS messages, memory check, AHA1542A
>messages and a beep.

Do you get the TARGET 0 LUN 0 NOT FOUND message from the BIOS?  If you do, then
this is indicative of a target taking a long time to recover from a SCSI
bus reset ad the adapter BIOS is timing out waiting for it to return from the
SCSI bus reset.
As far as the DNA rates go; it is extremely machine dependent.  Micronics
mother boards typically cannot run above 5.7MB/sec.  There are quite a
few CPU's that can run much faster (I have my 16Mhz CPU set at 6.7MB/sec
and my companion 25Mhz CPU set at 8MB/sec).

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Senior SCSI Applications Engineer
			UUCP @  uunet!swbatl!texbell!
				  {nominil,merch,cpe,mlite}!adaptex!neese