[comp.unix.i386] Problems with memory with ISC 2.0.2

greg@gagme.chi.il.us (Gregory Gulik) (06/21/90)

I was working on a problem with a friend's 386 running ISC 2.0.2

Basically, we were having trouble getting it to work properly
with 8 Meg or RAM.  The initial installation with the default
settings worked just fine, but after going through kconfig and
telling it that he has 8 Megs and rebuilding the kernel, everything
looked OK until we tried to build a filesystem on his 1.2 Meg floppy!

It said that it wasn't the proper type S51 or something like that.
We reconfigured the system again back to 2 Meg, and the floppy
worked!

Is this a bug, or are we doing something wrong?

By the way, he is running a 25Mhz 386 with NO cache, AMI bios,
8 Meg of RAM, 200 Meg Connor hard drive, VGA and the other usual
stuff.  He does have a Microsoft mouse attached, but it's not
configured in ISC unix, because there doesn't seem to be a driver
for the serial mouse.

Help!!!

greg

In article <494@gagme.chi.il.us> greg@gagme.chi.il.us (Gregory Gulik) writes:
>Basically, we were having trouble getting it to work properly
>with 8 Meg or RAM.  The initial installation with the default
>settings worked just fine, but after going through kconfig and
>telling it that he has 8 Megs and rebuilding the kernel, everything
>looked OK until we tried to build a filesystem on his 1.2 Meg floppy!

When you use kconfig to tell your system you have 8MB or ram, you aren't
telling the system it has 8MB of ram.  The system finds (and uses) all
available ram at boot time.  The kconfig stuff just adjusts the configurable
parameters (kernel buffers and other such stuff).  It *should* have no
effect on the usability of the floppy drive.

>It said that it wasn't the proper type S51 or something like that.
>We reconfigured the system again back to 2 Meg, and the floppy
>worked!

What was the exact error message?  Where did it appear (on your terminal
or the console)?

>Is this a bug, or are we doing something wrong?

It is not a bug.  I would guess that you changed some other conditions (like
switching floppy disks or something else).

>stuff.  He does have a Microsoft mouse attached, but it's not
>configured in ISC unix, because there doesn't seem to be a driver
>for the serial mouse.

There is no driver for a serial mouse because it isn't needed.  The normal
tty driver handles the hardware, and your software should know how to read
mouse events from a tty device.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170