[comp.unix.i386] ISC 2.2 Installation Troubles and AHA 1542A/B

root@maxed (0000-Admin(0000)) (06/29/90)

In article <40800015@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu> brando@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu writes:
...(stuff deleted)
> I have to believe that Interactive NEVER tried their system out on an Adaptec
>SCSI card, because it obviously wouldn't have even booted!! How would the
>user screw up the installation when it doesn't even proceed past the boot
>point?

ISC Unix 2.2 can work with the Adaptec AHA 1542A or B, since we have
it running on a couple of Compaqs, a 33 and a 20.

However, the HPDD drivers have substantially changed since 2.02 and
are a lot more finicky than they used to be. HP's Vectra machines
aren't compatible, for now. We've heard reports like yours for various
motherboards, usually in combination with the Adaptec SCSI board.

But you can't assume ISC didn't attempt to boot a machine from a SCSI
drive because yours doesn't boot. That aside, I know the compatibility
problem can be infuriating, and I think if you push Hollis for a fix
and keep reminding them, say weekly, you will succeed.
--
 Ed Whittemore 		uunet!maxed!ed
 American Micro Group 		201 944 3293

randyt@asdnet.uucp (Randy Terbush) (07/03/90)

In <1990Jun29.145838.1093@maxed> root@maxed (0000-Admin(0000)) writes:

>ISC Unix 2.2 can work with the Adaptec AHA 1542A or B, since we have
>it running on a couple of Compaqs, a 33 and a 20.

>However, the HPDD drivers have substantially changed since 2.02 and
>are a lot more finicky than they used to be. HP's Vectra machines
>aren't compatible, for now. We've heard reports like yours for various
>motherboards, usually in combination with the Adaptec SCSI board.

Not True!  I have encountered all of the same problems mentioned regarding
failed installs.  However, I do have Interactive 2.2 installed and
running on both HP Vectra RS/25c and the HP Vectra 486.  The 386
Vectra is using an Adaptec 1542A controller on an HP 330mb Coyote.
The HP Vectra 486 is using the special "High Speed" ESDI controller, made
by Adaptec, on a 330mb HP ESDI drive.

My greatest frustration has been caused by the lack of interest on
ISC's part.  I haven't even received a return phone call saying
"Thanks but No". :-(

--
Randy Terbush, 711 Eastridge Place, Boise, ID  83712

UUCP: asdnet!randyt
INET: asdnet!randyt@sunstone.idbsu.edu