[comp.unix.i386] Request for advice: UNIX/386 purchase

rlm@ceres.physics.uiowa.edu (07/02/90)

We are about to order a prototype 386 UNIX system for undergraduate use
and like would some advice. Since the Department has been almost
exclusively using VAX-VMS and PC's, we are complete novices in the UNIX
environment, especially UNIX running on PC's. We would like to buy a
packaged hardware-software system with good telephone support. Here are
some details:

        o Since the machine will be used in part for image analysis, we
          need 1024x768 by 256 colors (or better). As far as I can
          determine, only a few PC-based systems currently support 256
          colors at this resolution.

        o The system will be used in three ways: 1. MS-DOS applications
          (including SVGA graphics), 2. VMS applications using both
          TELNET and an X-windows interface to a local area VAXcluster,
          and 3. Native UNIX applications. Connections to the outside
          world are on the Ethernet. We would use FTP to transfer files
          to/from the system.

        o Some applications are number crunchers so floating point chip
          (80387) support is mandatory.

        o We would like to get at least two seats for $10K or less. We
          have in mind a single CPU plus one or more color X-terminals.

One system which looks like it might fit the bill is the Micro/ix 250
with a 80386/387 at 25 MHz, 1024x768 at 256 colors, 8MB memory, 100MB disk,
ESIX/V Release 3.2, VPix, and Ethernet card. Package price is about $5.9K.
Does anyone have any experience with this system? Any suggestions
about other systems we should consider? In case there is interest, I can
post a summary.

Thanks,

Robert Mutel
Department of Physics and Astronomy
University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA 52242

Phone: (319) 335-1950         |  TWX: 910-525-1398
SPAN: 7230::RLM (CERES)       |  Bitnet: rlm%iowa.Physics.UIowa.Edu@CUNYVM
HEPnet: 47588::RLM (IOWA)     |  Internet: rlm@iowa.Physics.UIowa.Edu

dhiman@motcid.UUCP (Ravinder Dhiman) (07/03/90)

rlm@ceres.physics.uiowa.edu writes:

>We are about to order a prototype 386 UNIX system for undergraduate use
>and like would some advice. Since the Department has been almost
>exclusively using VAX-VMS and PC's, we are complete novices in the UNIX
>environment, especially UNIX running on PC's. We would like to buy a
>packaged hardware-software system with good telephone support. Here are
>some details:

[text deleted]

>Does anyone have any experience with this system? Any suggestions
>about other systems we should consider? In case there is interest, I can
>post a summary.

>Thanks,

>Robert Mutel
>Department of Physics and Astronomy
>University of Iowa
>Iowa City, IA 52242

I don't have any personal experience with Mobius Computer Corp., but they are selling the
following, according to the August 1990 issue of Unix Review (page 120):

	1. 80386 or 80486 based unix workstations
	2. featuring: 1024 x 768 res., 16-inch monitor, 256 color, Interactive Systems Unix,
	3. 4MB RAM, Ethernet, SCSI (Small Computer Systems Interface) disk intf., 1 parallel port,
	   2 serial ports, 3.5" floppy, 101-key keyboard for $3694.

Mobius is in Palo Alto, CA, (413)493-7777.

Ravi Dhiman
Motorola Cellular Infrastructure Div.
Arlington Heights, IL.

P.S.  Not talking for my employer and not in any way connected with Mobius Computer Corp.