[net.auto] id AA18424; Mon, 20 Feb 84 12:08:28 pst

lipman@decwrl.UUCP (02/20/84)

Date: Monday, 20 Feb 1984 12:12:33-PST
From: gigi::fleischer  (Bob Fleischer 231-2132 MRO3-2/E7 ECS)
To: net.auto
Subject: Re: what new car to buy, oh my

Thoughts on new (cheap) cars in response to CINDY's note of Fri Feb 17:

As a matter of principle, I buy the cheapest new car I think I can be
satisfied with (seems to give best price/performance).  I also have
a preference to "buy North American" (a lot of cars are made in Canada
these days).  I do most regular maintenance and many repairs myself
(this affects the economics of "petty" problems, which can become
expensive if you have to take them to the shop).

I bought new and still own a 1970 Plymouth Valiant (same as a Dart
under the skin).  It has 204,000 miles on it and is still going strong.
I bought it because it had a reputation for doing just that.

When it came to shopping for a cheap, high-mileage "commuter car"
two years ago, I bought a Plymouth Horizon (same as an Omni).  It has
given me good service (37,000 miles so far), good gas mileage (39 mpg
during the summer) and the basic mechanical components seem reliable
(though my dealer seemed unable to get it to idle smoothly -- the
dealer's service is REALLY poor -- I'm not going back).

What they say about the body accessories is true, however.  I've got
two doors whose handles are very hard to open (from the outside).
One window goes down easily but is very hard to crank up.  Another window
rattles.  The windshield leaks a lot and the hatchback leaks in heavy
rain.  I know that I can fix them, and they are not annoying enough to
force me to fix them right away.

But it is sad.  The Valiant had very few problems of any kind -- most
years my only expenditures were for normal maintenance (oil, filters,
tune-ups, brake linings).  No major drive train work EVER.  Remember,
Lee wasn't at Chrysler in the early 70's.

Would I recommend the Horizon?  To a mechanically inclined individual,
perhaps, with warnings.  It was cheap to buy, it hasn't cost me much
to operate or maintain (yet), and it is reliable transportation
(assuming that I can always get the door open to get in).  The ride
and handling are much better than the Valiant, by the way.  Front
wheel drive is really super on slippery surfaces.

		Bob Fleischer
		Digital Equipment Corporation
		2 Iron Way (MRO3-2/E7)
		Marlboro, Massachusetts  01752