[comp.unix.i386] What does ``cpd'' do in SCO UNIX V tcp.

ians@saleven.oz (Ian Sergeant) (06/29/90)

In SCO UNIX V tcp distributed with ODT the function of cpd isn't obvious,
and other daemons network daemons seem to register with it.  Does anyone
know its function?

Ian.
--
ians:*:2008:2008:Ian Sergeant, Saleven Pty Ltd, Sydney, 906 3833:/u/ians:

fischer@utower.gopas.sub.org (Axel Fischer) (07/01/90)

ians@saleven.oz (Ian Sergeant) writes:

>In SCO UNIX V tcp distributed with ODT the function of cpd isn't obvious,
>and other daemons network daemons seem to register with it.  Does anyone
>know its function?

cpd = CopyRight-Daemon

Checks if you have connected two PC with the same serial number.
SCO wants you to buy a license for every PC.

-Axel
--
  fischer@utower.gopas.sub.org / fischer@db0tui6.BITNET / fischer@tmpmbx.UUCP

  Class of '93                    That is not dead, which can eternal lie
                                  Yet with strange aeons, even death may die.

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (07/04/90)

[ Question is also relevant to comp.unix.xenix; hence this crosspost. ]

According to ians@saleven.saleven.oz.au (Ian Sergeant):
>In SCO UNIX V tcp distributed with ODT the function of cpd isn't obvious,
>and other daemons network daemons seem to register with it.

The CoPyright Daemon is a grody hack that does periodic UDP broadcasts
to an undocumented port (60000, I think) reporting its serial number,
and which also listens for cpd broadcasts from other hosts.  If any
are received with the same serial number, cpd promptly shuts down the
local host's TCP/IP system.  Feh.

I consider this method of copy protection to be impolite at best,
since it (1) uses broadcasts and (2) causes an immediate shutdown,
when the serial number conflict could possibly be an honest mistake.
--
Chip Salzenberg at ComDev/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!ateng!tct!chip>

craigb@ipso.ips.oz.au (Craig Bevins) (07/04/90)

In article <20412@saleven.oz> ians@saleven.saleven.oz.au (Ian Sergeant) writes:

> In SCO UNIX V tcp distributed with ODT the function of cpd isn't obvious,
> and other daemons network daemons seem to register with it.  Does anyone
> know its function?

It is the Lachman TCP copy protection daemon.  Watch port 60000 and all
will become clear.

csb

sl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Stuart Lynne) (07/05/90)

In article <2690F0F3.1352@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>[ Question is also relevant to comp.unix.xenix; hence this crosspost. ]
>
>I consider this method of copy protection to be impolite at best,
>since it (1) uses broadcasts and (2) causes an immediate shutdown,
>when the serial number conflict could possibly be an honest mistake.

I'll say it's a pain. We have several (legal) copies of TCP/IP for Xenix. If
a machine has to have TCP reinstalled you had better remember which serial
number you used. Get the wrong one and you get to try again until you do.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca ubc-cs!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice)

In article <772@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca> sl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Stuart Lynne) writes:
> I'll say it's a pain. We have several (legal) copies of TCP/IP for Xenix. If
> a machine has to have TCP reinstalled you had better remember which serial
> number you used. Get the wrong one and you get to try again until you do.

Thanks for the warning! We only have the one Lachman TCP running, but were
planning on getting more System V.3.2 systems later on.

What happens if you just take out /etc/rc2.d/S69cp?
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (07/06/90)

From article <2690F0F3.1352@tct.uucp>, by chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg):
> I consider this method of copy protection to be impolite at best,
> since it (1) uses broadcasts and (2) causes an immediate shutdown,
> when the serial number conflict could possibly be an honest mistake.

and how about (3) broadcasts to a port number that is undocumented and
could well be used by some other application.

Paul DuBois
Internet:	dubois@primate.wisc.edu
UUCP:		rhesus!dubois
CompuServe:	>INTERNET:dubois@primate.wisc.edu