[comp.unix.i386] Adaptec 154x Tuning for SCO Unix

john@ticipa.ti.com (John Maline) (06/28/90)

A recent thread here has discussed tuning some parameters in the Adaptec
154x driver in 386/ix.  Is there an equivalent set of (administrator
accessible) parameters in SCO Unix?

I've tried enabling synchronous negotiation and increasing the DMA
transfer speed via the on-board jumpers.  Neither showed any significant
change in my simple benchmark (aside from an I/O error when DMA was set
to 8 MB/s).

Background:

My simple I/O speed test was:
time dd if=/dev/root of=/dev/null bs=10240

results:                                 time        user       sys
asynchronous (sync enb jumper off)       7:32.0       0.9       2:17.1
synchronous                              7:29.3       1.2       2:09.7
synchronous, DMA=5.7 MB/s                7:29.3       1.0       2:10.1

I interpret these similar results to indicate that SCO's driver
overrides the jumpers in software (as the Adaptec 1542a manual implies
can be done on p 2-14).  This doesn't explain the I/O error at 8MB/s,
though...

System Configuration:
AST 386/33, 10Mb RAM, Adaptec 1542a, Maxtor 4170S, root partn=129397K
SCO Open Desktop (Unix V.3.2.1)

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

John Maline                    UUCP: john@ticipa@tilde.ti.com
Texas Instruments
PO Box 655012  M/S 3635        TI MSG:  JWMX
Dallas, TX 75265               Voice:   (214) 917-2245

pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) (07/05/90)

In article <440@ticipa.ti.com> john@ticipa.ti.com (John Maline) writes:

   My simple I/O speed test was:
   time dd if=/dev/root of=/dev/null bs=10240

   results:                                 time        user       sys
   asynchronous (sync enb jumper off)       7:32.0       0.9       2:17.1
   synchronous                              7:29.3       1.2       2:09.7
   synchronous, DMA=5.7 MB/s                7:29.3       1.0       2:10.1

But reading from the block device entails such colossal kernel overheads
for cache management, as duly documented in the sys time, that it is
hard to gauge raw IO bandwidth. On the other hand, 130 megs in 450
seconds comes to 200-300 KB sec., which is like Larry Snyder's results.
--
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi           | ARPA: pcg%cs.aber.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

neese@adaptex.UUCP (07/06/90)

>/* ---------- "Adaptec 154x Tuning for SCO Unix" ---------- */
>A recent thread here has discussed tuning some parameters in the Adaptec
>154x driver in 386/ix.  Is there an equivalent set of (administrator
>accessible) parameters in SCO Unix?
>
>I've tried enabling synchronous negotiation and increasing the DMA
>transfer speed via the on-board jumpers.  Neither showed any significant
>change in my simple benchmark (aside from an I/O error when DMA was set
>to 8 MB/s).
>
>>STUFF DELETED
>
>I interpret these similar results to indicate that SCO's driver
>overrides the jumpers in software (as the Adaptec 1542a manual implies
>can be done on p 2-14).  This doesn't explain the I/O error at 8MB/s,
>though...

The SCO driver does override the jumper settings for DMA rate.  I beleive
you need to patch the variable "aha_xfer" to the value you want.  The sync
jumper cannot be overridden by software.
The reason you cannot run at 8MB/sec is the CPU.  The implementation of the
memory addressing will not allow the CPU/bus to run that fast.  Some systems
can run that fast, others cannot.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Senior SCSI Applications Engineer
			UUCP @  uunet!swbatl!texbell!
				  {nominil,merch,cpe,mlite}!adaptex!neese