[comp.unix.i386] X11R4 for i386 Unix

news@brian386.uucp (News Administrator) (06/28/90)

cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

>In article <1990Jun23.015312.9456@virtech.uucp>, I wrote:
>> As far as I know, none of the 386 unix offerings can be configured to use
>> a serial port as the console.  This would be a very good feature, especially

>Obviously I don't know it all.  Reportedly both SCO Xenix and SCO Unix
>have this capability.  I just wish I had it on my system (how about it
>Interactive?  When can we expect such a feature?).

How about this idea??
/etc/rc.d/errlogger
	(stty 1200; cat "/dev/osm" > /dev/tty01) < /dev/tty01 &

This seems to work pretty well and will run as long as your system does.  Plus
you get a copy of all the start up messages (free mem, etc, what a DEAL ;-).
Of course you need to have Operating System Messages configured in your
kernel for this to work.

	brian

support@ism780c.isc.com (Support account) (06/29/90)

In article <1990Jun25.134223.20131@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>> really nice to be able to configure a paper console (i.e. teletype) to
>> record all console messages.
>
>Obviously I don't know it all.  Reportedly both SCO Xenix and SCO Unix
>have this capability.  I just wish I had it on my system (how about it
>Interactive?  When can we expect such a feature?).

It is the Development queue, and will be in a future, as
yet undetermined, release.

ISC

In article <4605@infmx.UUCP> aland@infmx.UUCP (alan denney) writes:

| AT&T's own SV386 R3.2.2 supports console operation over either serial
| port.  The feature is referred to as Alternate/Remote Console.  You
| can enable Alternate console (COM2, e.g. terminal) or Remote console
| (COM1, e.g. a modem to a remote terminal) via a kernel parameter.
| If you boot without a monitor attached, it supposedly switches the
| console to COM2 automatically.

  I'm helping evaluate o/s for a series of remote industrial control
boxes running some flavor of unix or Xenix. Most of these will be
accessed by dial-up phone and SL/IP. Some may be ethernet. None will
have any form of local display.

  Needless to say I'm following this thread closely.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

In article <1990Jun28.125600.24155@brian386.uucp> news@brian386.uucp (News Administrator) writes:

>>Obviously I don't know it all.  Reportedly both SCO Xenix and SCO Unix
>>have this capability.  I just wish I had it on my system (how about it
>>Interactive?  When can we expect such a feature?).
>
>How about this idea??
>/etc/rc.d/errlogger
>	(stty 1200; cat "/dev/osm" > /dev/tty01) < /dev/tty01 &
>
>This seems to work pretty well and will run as long as your system does.  Plus
>you get a copy of all the start up messages (free mem, etc, what a DEAL ;-).
>Of course you need to have Operating System Messages configured in your
>kernel for this to work.

This only partially solves the problems.  Only messages to the console from
the kernel are available.  Application program messages (like cron, acct, or
other vendor-specific daemons) that are sent to /dev/console do not get
added to /dev/osm.

The true serial console also removes the requirement for a display card
and monitor for the system and allows the system to be remotely configured,
rebooted, etc.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

brando@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (07/02/90)

/* Written  8:53 pm  Jun 22, 1990 by cpcahil@virtech.uucp in uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu:comp.unix.i386 */
In article <1990Jun22.211741.979@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu> teoh@uicbert.eecs.uic.edu writes:
>Where can I get X11R4 for ISC, Esix and SCO Unix SVR3.2?

|>My project involves heavy use of X window sys, what's the min memory
|>required to run X11R4? And, how can I speed up the display, thru use of
|>coprocessor or add more video ram or both?
|
|X11R3 on any of the 386 systems requires 8MB.  If you really want to
|speed up the display (and cost is no object) get a graphics card with
|some smarts on it (like a 34020).

Connor, I believe ISC 2.0.2 with release X11R3 only requires 4mb... Of course,
as always, the more memory the better.

Brando

|  Brandon Brown                     | Internet: brando@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu    |
|  Coordinated Science Laboratory    | UUCP:	 uiucuxc!addamax!brando!brown |
|  University of Illinois            | CompuServe: 73040,447                  |
|  Urbana, IL  61801                 | GEnie:    macbrando                    |

In article <40800020@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu> brando@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu writes:

>/* Written  8:53 pm  Jun 22, 1990 by cpcahil@virtech.uucp in uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu:comp.unix.i386 */
>|X11R3 on any of the 386 systems requires 8MB.  If you really want to
>|speed up the display (and cost is no object) get a graphics card with
>|some smarts on it (like a 34020).
>
>Connor, I believe ISC 2.0.2 with release X11R3 only requires 4mb... Of course,
>as always, the more memory the better.

The difference is "requires to work" as opposed to "requires for usefulness".
X11R3 on any 386 system with less than 8MB will force the different processes
to be swaped out.  I ran one in this configuration with only 3 xterms, an
xbiff, and an xclock.  You could hear the disk fumbling around when I moved
the mouse from window to window.

So, the moral of the story is that if you want a usable X11 386 system get
at least 8 MB of memory.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) (07/05/90)

In article <1990Jul03.222233.1896@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

   The difference is "requires to work" as opposed to "requires for usefulness".
   X11R3 on any 386 system with less than 8MB will force the different processes
   to be swaped out.  I ran one in this configuration with only 3 xterms, an
   xbiff, and an xclock.  You could hear the disk fumbling around when I moved
   the mouse from window to window.

This si again the result of poor swapper/page design. I cannot believe
that the combined working sets of your processes was larger than 2-3
megabytes. Hey, I cannot believe that the *total* size of your
applications was larger than that, even if xclock is rumoured to grow to
1.3 megs of address space...

On my sun3 I have 2 xterms and 1 xclock, and two remote windows, and
sizes are:

		SIZE	RSS

	X	952	248
	xclock	152	0
	xinit	56	0
	xterm	208	96
	tcsh	104	80
	uwm	120	32
	xterm	216	112
	tcsh	104	104

	TOTALS  1912	672

i.e. well below two megs and a tad over half, and even given the great
imprecision of such measurements, we are way below eight megs. The only
explanation as usual is the catastrophic performance of the System V
(and, incidentally SunOS, Ultirx, etc...) swapper (yes, on my 4 meg sun3
I get some swapping as well, as you see form the above 0 RSS
entries...).

Note that my X server is that big also because I have a large background
bitmap.
--
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi           | ARPA: pcg%cs.aber.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

In article <PCG.90Jul5160613@odin.cs.aber.ac.uk> pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:

>This si again the result of poor swapper/page design. I cannot believe
>that the combined working sets of your processes was larger than 2-3
>megabytes. Hey, I cannot believe that the *total* size of your
>applications was larger than that, even if xclock is rumoured to grow to
>1.3 megs of address space...

Yes, but 2-3 megs of X applications plus 1+ MB of kernel plus 1-2 MB of
other overhead software (sh, cron, init, etc) means that a 4MB system
just doesn't cut it.

For the most part, the next step up from 4MB is 8MB and then things
run pretty well.

>	X	952	248
>	xclock	152	0
>	xinit	56	0
>	xterm	208	96
>	tcsh	104	80
>	uwm	120	32
>	xterm	216	112
>	tcsh	104	104
>
>	TOTALS  1912	672

Under ISC Unix 2.2 the sizes are as follows:

	Xlvp	355 (4K pages)  (Laser View server)
	xclock	100
	xterm   141
	xterm   144
	mwm	214
	xload   116

	Total: 1070  == 4MB

not counting shells, kernel & other system overhead.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170