[comp.unix.i386] ISC Upgrade Cost

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) (07/05/90)

In article <147235@felix.UUCP> birch@felix.UUCP (Stephen Birch) writes:

>I was very interested to read your comments. I currently own 2.0.2 Interactive
>and have been very happy with it. However, ISC has now introduced an upgrade
>(2.2) for which they want about $800!!!

Huh?? Where do people come up with these high figures? What components are
included in this price? I bought the upgrade for the OS (unlimited user)
and the Development system. The OS cost $100, and the Dev. system was $200.
Now I don't know about you but in my book this is a bargain considering it
is a whole new release with new manuals, new features, and considering when
I bought 2.0.1 over a year ago it cost me around $1200 (the upgrade to 2.0.2
was free). Maybe if you have every package in sight and upgrade all of them
the total comes out this high but I don't think you have to upgrade every-
thing.

On the matter of whether its worth it, I would say absolutely. I know some
people have been having some problems (seems like mostly SCSI problems) but
I had nearly no problems at all doing the upgrade, other than a couple of
little gotcha's which I was fortunately prepared for (like the damn thing
overwriting crontab files just like it did in 2.0.2, etc). The new
installation program is quite nice other than the choice of red text for
the installation output from cpio, yeech! Neat trick that you boot from
floppy and then release it to read in the other packages without having
to reboot. Most of all its fantastic to have real job control! I haven't
gotton the Development System yet, they back-ordered me on it :-{!!
My only real gripe in this whole process is that the folks at the upgrade
hotline don't seem to believe in returning calls or at least sure take
their sweet time about it, oh well.

Disclaimer: MHO not my employer's.
--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -

jdp@PacBell.COM (Jerry D. Pierce) (07/06/90)

>jackv@turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) writes:
>birch@felix.UUCP (Stephen Birch) writes:
>
>>I was very interested to read your comments. I currently own 2.0.2 Interactive
>>and have been very happy with it. However, ISC has now introduced an upgrade
>>(2.2) for which they want about $800!!!
>
>Huh?? Where do people come up with these high figures? What components are
>included in this price? I bought the upgrade for the OS (unlimited user)
>and the Development system. The OS cost $100, and the Dev. system was $200.

I have the Application Developer's set, unlimited user license.  I purchased
this software in January of this year.  I was quoted an upgrade price
directly from Interactive of $750.00 and one of their vendors quoted me
a price of $650.00!!

So, four months after shelling out a LARGE sum of cash to purchase
Interactive 2.02, I'm being told to spend another $650-$750 if I want
to stay current??

I hear that the upgrade to ESIX's revision D software is being offered
to their revision C users at $100.00 or so...   Now that's an upgrade!!

Just my .02 worth.

   Jerry Pierce
   pacbell!pbhyf!jdp

  "Ah, that would be the fate WORSE than the fate worse than death.  That
   must be pretty bad!" - Blackadder