[comp.unix.i386] Installing UNIX V/386 3.2 on a MAXTOR 2190

jcmiller@hydra.unm.edu (Jeff Miller) (07/05/90)

I am attempting to install AT&T UNIX System V/386 release 3.2 on
a MAXTOR 2190 159 mg hard drive. I am using Cache Computer's
386-25 with AMI bios. I tried installing UNIX with a 120 mg
partition and DOS 4.01 with a 40mg partition. The MAXTOR 2190
has 1224 cyl, 15h, 17sec. I used Disk manager 4.02 to set up
the partitions as follows: unix: 0 to 899 cyl, dos 900 to 1023, and
dos 1024 to 1223 cyl.

When UNIX attempted to install it read the partition as follows:
0 to 899 unix
900 to 1023 dos
0 to 189 other

When UNIX installed it simply over wrote my second DOS partion after
1024 cyl. I attempted to change the partiton under UNIX with no change.
The only way I could install UNIX and DOS partitions was to stay under
1024 cyl.

Has anyone been able to install a drive with greater then 1024 cyl?
If so how?

Thanks ahead of time for any help!

Jeff.

In article <1990Jul4.200619.22681@ariel.unm.edu> jcmiller@hydra.unm.edu (Jeff Miller) writes:
>the partitions as follows: unix: 0 to 899 cyl, dos 900 to 1023, and
>dos 1024 to 1223 cyl.

When installing UNIX on a disk with more than 1024 cyls, make sure that
unix is in the last partition.  For your disk you should use:

		dos	  0 to	 322
		unix	323 to	1223

Or if you really wanted 2 dos partitions,

		dos	  0 to	 123
		dos	124 to 	 322
		unix	323 to	1223

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

In article <1990Jul05.001108.8645@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
| In article <1990Jul4.200619.22681@ariel.unm.edu> jcmiller@hydra.unm.edu (Jeff Miller) writes:
| >the partitions as follows: unix: 0 to 899 cyl, dos 900 to 1023, and
| >dos 1024 to 1223 cyl.
|
| When installing UNIX on a disk with more than 1024 cyls, make sure that
| unix is in the last partition.  For your disk you should use:
|
| 		dos	  0 to	 322
| 		unix	323 to	1223

  Close. The actual problem is that all DOS partitions must be in the
first 1024 cylinders to work right. You might get by the problem with
something like Speedstor, but since 3.3 and later will do multiply
partitions I would stick with just DOS.

  unix doesn't have to be last, but DOS has to be low. I have seen some
versions of UNIX which don't do >1024 cylinders right. Since this came
from the factory installed, I assume that version *can't* do it right,
but SCO UNIX works fine and we didn't chase it too far. We tried what
they said on the hotline, called and tried the other stuff they said,
then went to SCO and got some work done. V.4 works okay, too.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX