[comp.unix.i386] Vtlmgr/newvt usage?

kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) (06/28/90)

I'm running System V/386 3.2, using vtlmgr and newvt to get multiple
sessions on the console.  Both of these programs start /bin/sh on the
new screens.  My default shell is ksh, and my SHELL variable is set to ksh,
but the programs evidently ignore these settings.  Sh does not try to run
a startup file unless it detects that it's a login shell, of course.

I normally run with a 43-line (EGA) screen, and a custom terminfo (green
text, blue highlights, etc.).  Every time I start a new virtual terminal,
I have to type "set43;clear" (I wrote set43).

Vtlmgr and newvt are not mentioned in the manuals I have, so I don't know
if they take any options.  Is there a way to make either of these
(vtlmgr being the more important) start another shell, or feed sh a
startup script?

Kenneth Herron

In article <kherron.646589323@s.ms.uky.edu> kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) writes:
>I'm running System V/386 3.2, using vtlmgr and newvt to get multiple
>sessions on the console.  Both of these programs start /bin/sh on the
>new screens.  My default shell is ksh, and my SHELL variable is set to ksh,
>but the programs evidently ignore these settings.  Sh does not try to run
>a startup file unless it detects that it's a login shell, of course.

You need to add a line to /etc/default/login that says:
ALTSHELL=YES
 to allow anything besides /bin/sh.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

tron1@tronsbox.xei.com (HIM) (07/07/90)

>Date: Fri Jun 29 19:19:41 1990
>
>I'm running System V/386 3.2, using vtlmgr and newvt to get multiple
>sessions on the console.  Both of these programs start /bin/sh on the
>new screens.  My default shell is ksh, and my SHELL variable is set to ksh,
>but the programs evidently ignore these settings.  Sh does not try to run
>a startup file unless it detects that it's a login shell, of course.

I have fount that in general, the best thing to do is to
change the console over to "getty" from "vtgetty", then add new
/etc/inittab entries for /dev/vt01 etc. with getty's on em.

You wont have to newvt at all.

========[ Xanadu Enterprises Inc. Amiga & Unix Software Development]========
= "The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a    =
= soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with     =
= an idea." - computer saying. (from The Wizardry Compiled by Rick Cook)   =
============= Ken Jamieson: uunet!tronsbox.xei.com!tron1  ==================
= NONE of the opinions represented here are endorsed by either             =
= Xanadu Enterpises or its clients, AT&T Bell Labs or others.              =
==== The Romantic Encounters BBS 201-759-8450(PEP) / 201-759-8568(2400) ====