[comp.unix.i386] SCO UNIX - intermittent login problem

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (07/05/90)

Though I've had the UNIX component of Open Desktop installed for about
four months, in the last week I've twice encountered the following problem:

I try to login, but instead of seeing the password prompt, I see:

	Cannot obtain database information on this terminal

... and another login prompt. ALL virtual terminals, plus the dial-in port
are affected, and it affects both root and non-root users. The only
solution is to reset the system, after which all is copacetic. Ideas?

erik@westworld.esd.sgi.com (Erik Fortune) (07/07/90)

I got the same message last night.   In the "Error Messages" of
your "ODT OS" documentation is a description the error and
how to get around it (you have to remove/move some files).

You *should* be able to log in as root on tty01.  Note that
you can only log in as root, and only on the first screen...

-- Erik
   (erik@sgi.com)

gsn@sclcig.uucp (Georg Nikodym) (07/09/90)

In article <96@raysnec.UUCP> shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:
>Though I've had the UNIX component of Open Desktop installed for about
>four months, in the last week I've twice encountered the following problem:
>
>I try to login, but instead of seeing the password prompt, I see:
>
>	Cannot obtain database information on this terminal
>
>... and another login prompt. ALL virtual terminals, plus the dial-in port
>are affected, and it affects both root and non-root users. The only
>solution is to reset the system, after which all is copacetic. Ideas?

Yup, I've seen this too, just running SCO UNIX.  According to SCO's
support people this is because the authorization database(s) get FUed.
This is a bug, and they know about it.  Until they fix it though, we'll
all just have to reboot...
| Georg S. Nikodym  -  (416) 442-2238                                       |
| Southam Business Information and Communications Group, Don Mills, Ontario |
| gsn@sclcig.UUCP -or- ...!uunet!attcan!telly!moore!sclcig!gsn              |
| "The floggings will continue until morale improves" -Jose Castel-Branco   |