[comp.unix.i386] MKS toolkit or Coherent for use on a laptop computer

friedl@mtndew.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) (06/28/90)

Bill Mayhew writes:

> I've used the MKS toolkit and can testifly that it is very nearly
> an indispensible aid for the DOS environment.

I gotta put in my two cents worth here.  The MKS Toolkit is
everything they claim and more.  I was losing my mind on a DOS
project and was wondering how any person with a brain could
actually use that environment.  I ordered the MKS Toolkit to help
save my sanity and it was wonderful.  They provide everything to
help make it look Just Like UNIX, and they have succeeded in a
big way (for instance, they provide a useful "ps"). The
documentation is *outstanding*.  I could not live without this
package.

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY / Software Consultant / Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561  / friedl@mtndew.Tustin.CA.US  / {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

Sat-is-fac-tion (sat' is fak" shen) n: Seeing Pick Systems cave into UNIX

lauther@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Ulrich Lauther) (07/02/90)

In article <455@mtndew.UUCP> friedl@mtndew.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>Bill Mayhew writes:
>
>> I've used the MKS toolkit and can testifly that it is very nearly
>> an indispensible aid for the DOS environment.

I mostly agree; the only thing I am missing is an at-command. If this were
available, I might consider using DOS+MKS exclusively.

Ulrich Lauther               Internet: lauther@janus.berkeley.edu
Siemens / UCB                ph: +1 415 642 3338 fax: 642 2739
				 +1 415 658 8529 home

hb@vpnet.chi.il.us (hank barta) (07/10/90)

Has anyone used the MKS toolkit under OS/2? My experience with
the DOS version is that it seems to do pretty well except where
multitasking is requires (hence, no at-command, no '&' to run
stuff in the background, etc). Does the toolkit use OS/2's
multitasking capabilities to make it look even more like Unix??

hank