[comp.unix.i386] Internal modems for ISC 2.0.2

dave@dptechno.uucp (Dave Lee) (07/10/90)

Has anyone had any luck getting an internal modem to work with ISC2.0.2 ?
I have a everex 2400 baud internal modem set up as COM2. I am under the
impression that this should look just like a serial port to unix.
Is this true?  Should I keep hacking or just trade it in for an external?
Any suggestions would be helpful.
System Info:
	Northgate 20 MHZ 386
	8 Meg memory
	108 RLL drive
	Everex 2400 internal modem at COM2 (works from dos)
Note: When I enable my motherboard's COM2 serial port, it works just fine
	under unix, so I must have the asy driver configured correctly (?).
Email or Post as appropreate.
Thanks a lot!

--
Dave Lee
uunet!dptechno!dave

root@usaos.UUCP (SSG W.D. Calhoun (postmaster)) (07/10/90)

In article <531@dptechno.UUCP>, dave@dptechno.uucp (Dave Lee) writes:
> Has anyone had any luck getting an internal modem to work with ISC2.0.2 ?
> I have a everex 2400 baud internal modem set up as COM2. I am under the
> impression that this should look just like a serial port to unix.
> Is this true?  Should I keep hacking or just trade it in for an external?
> Any suggestions would be helpful.
  [System info deleted]

I've got a Practical Peripherals PM2400MNP and it works to a degree.
As long as I run uugetty on ttym1 it seems to work o.k. (at least as
a dial-out for uucp.  There does seem to be a strange tendency for it
to stop communicating with a remote modem during long (400k +) file
transfers.  If I try to dial out with the modem assigned to tty01 it
fails with a 'lost line - errno 0' unless I soft-strap CD high.  If
I try to dial out with it assigned to ttym1 but without uugetty, the
open() hangs.  I've been going round 'n round with this for about a
week and can make no real progress either.
My configuration:	Club 333/CT (80386/33 w/64k SRAM Cache)
			Motherboard MFR unknown (AMI BIOS)
			WD1007A-WAH ESDI Controller
			Miniscribe 157 Meg HD
			Everex Serial/Parallel board (COM1/LPT1)

W.D. Calhoun
The U.S. Army Ordnance School at Fort Belvoir, VA
calhoun%usaos@uunet.uu.net | uunet!usaos!calhoun