[comp.unix.i386] TWM window disappearance during telnet session on ISC 2.2

tom@litle.litle.com (tom hampton) (07/06/90)

We have found that TWM windows disappear when the window is of a telnet
session to another host, and that host closes the connection.  The same
scenario occurs on an NCD X terminal or on the console screen.

It seems to us that the window should stay open an merely leave you back
on your local machine.

Any thoughts on this?
 Tom Hampton, Mgr. New Technology, Litle & Co. | POB A218, Hanover, NH 03755
 603 643 1832
 Design is about figuring out what you won't be able to do.
tom@litle.com  tom@litle.uucp  {backbone}!dartvax.dartmouth.edu!litle!tom

kim@wacsvax.cs.uwa.OZ.AU (Kim Shearer) (07/11/90)

In <500@litle.litle.com> tom@litle.litle.com (tom hampton) writes:

>We have found that TWM windows disappear when the window is of a telnet
>session to another host, and that host closes the connection.  The same
>scenario occurs on an NCD X terminal or on the console screen.

>It seems to us that the window should stay open an merely leave you back
>on your local machine.

>Any thoughts on this?
>--
> Tom Hampton, Mgr. New Technology, Litle & Co. | POB A218, Hanover, NH 03755
> 603 643 1832

 There is a switch for xterm (-e I believe) to tell it whether or not
 you wish it to die after completing the command passed to it.

Kim Shearer                      |     ARPA: kim%wacsvax.uwa.oz@uunet.uu.net
Dept. of Computer Science        |     UUCP: ..!uunet!munnari!wacsvax!kim
University of Western Australia  |     ACSnet: kim@wacsvax.uwa.oz
CRAWLEY, Australia 6009          |     PHONE:  +61 9 380 3452