[comp.unix.i386] 386/ix 2.2: Serial Communications

lar@pc.usl.edu (Robert, Lane A.) (07/11/90)

This query is for a friend of mine who has no access to the net.

Has anyone noticed a problem with serial communications under
Interactive 386/ix 2.2?  The system with the problem has a 33 MHz AMI
motherboard with 4 Mb of RAM, and can't even communicate at 1200 bps
without dropping characters!  The problem is new since upgrading from
2.0.2; and both the motherboard serial port and an internal modem show
the symptoms.  Booting under MS-DOS and using MS-Kermit works as it
should, which leads us to believe that it is a software problem.

Any insight into this problem would be appreciated.

Thanx,
Lane
lar@usl.edu

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (07/11/90)

lar@pc.usl.edu (Robert, Lane A.) writes:

>Has anyone noticed a problem with serial communications under
>Interactive 386/ix 2.2?  The system with the problem has a 33 MHz AMI

I suggest to everyone running stock serial ports under 386/ix to
install the FASY drivers which are available for downloading on
my bbs.

            uucp: iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry  -or-  larry@nstar
            Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-3745 (multiline)

root@usaos.UUCP (SSG W.D. Calhoun (postmaster)) (07/12/90)

In article <1990Jul11.012657.6921@nstar.uucp>, larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
> lar@pc.usl.edu (Robert, Lane A.) writes:
>
> >Has anyone noticed a problem with serial communications under
> >Interactive 386/ix 2.2?  The system with the problem has a 33 MHz AMI
>
> I suggest to everyone running stock serial ports under 386/ix to
> install the FASY drivers which are available for downloading on
> my bbs.

I was having serious compatability problems with an internal modem using
the stock asy driver.  Larry shot me the fasy driver, I installed it in
about an hour (had to make some changes and install it manually), and it
seems to be working super.

Previously, I was unable to access the modem with uucp (the open would
fail) unless CD was strapped high (yes, even using the modem control
device).  I couldn't even access the modem control device without having
uugetty active on the port (the open would hang), and when MNP was enabled,
there was max garbling.  Now, using the fasy-defined ttyFM01 device,
everything seems to be working well.
---
W.D. Calhoun
The U.S. Army Ordnance School at Fort Belvoir, VA
calhoun%usaos@uunet.uu.net | uunet!usaos!calhoun