[comp.unix.i386] g++/groff for i386?

rick@pcrat.uucp (Rick Richardson) (07/10/90)

><They will not, because the GNU team is seriously interested in getting
><the GNU OS off the ground, not supporting other OSes. The rely on the
><public to care for this, as noted above.

Having already abused myself with three revisions of GCC and G++
compilation attempts, with mixed success, maybe a year ago, I
figured I'd wait until things stabilized a bit more, and then
go for it one last time.

I now find myself with a small amount of desire to have these
puppies, but not enough to want to skirmish with the source code.

Since V/386 is so prevalent on the net now, I'm wondering if
someone is offering anon UUCP access to the V/386 binaries?

-Rick
[ comp.text deleted, comp.unix.i386 added ]

--
Rick Richardson | Looking for FAX software for UNIX/386 ??? Ask About: |Mention
PC Research,Inc.| FaxiX - UNIX Facsimile System (tm)                   |FAX# for

news@pegasus.com (Usenet News) (07/10/90)

>Since V/386 is so prevalent on the net now, I'm wondering if
>someone is offering anon UUCP access to the V/386 binaries?

I haven't heard of any UUCP sites, but I've seen g++ available for anon
FTP from tek4310.kent.edu and from titan.rice.edu, but neither one
seemed to work with ISC 2.0.2.  So I'm not too hopeful at this point.

Time to pound on the sources again...

dquah@athena.mit.edu (Danny Quah) (07/10/90)

In article <1990Jul10.063631.5827@pegasus.com> news@pegasus.com (Usenet News) writes:

>>Since V/386 is so prevalent on the net now, I'm wondering if
>>

>I haven't heard of any UUCP sites, but I've seen g++ available for anon
>FTP from tek4310.kent.edu and from titan.rice.edu, but neither one
>seemed to work with ISC 2.0.2.
>
>Time to pound on the sources again...

[So we're building a little lobby here I see.]

        Ok. Ross Biro @ stanford (who, I think, built the emacs and
epochs on kent) tells me that the emacs and epoch on kent has
specialized ESIX network and X support compiled in so that almost
surely they won't work on anything but.  That explains the "Fatal error
12" problem that we are seeing with the emacs from kent.  I tried to
compile the source Ross directed me to, but ran into the same "tchars"
problem that Paul has reported.

        I haven't even be able to get the gcc from there to work on my
machine, it doesn't seem to have built in "/usr/local/gnu/lib/gnu-"
and worse I haven't been able to get it to take the -B flag.  (The -v
flag shows failure on this.)  And where are gcc-ld and gcc-as (and why
is it "gas" instead:-))?

        I agree with Rick (and the dude from Finland, I've lost your
name sorry)---there are so many of us with SysV'386/ Interactive '386
out here, wouldn't it be great if someone who has already made some of
these things allow anon FTP or UUCP access.  Why keep regrinding the
wheel (or "pound on the sources"?)  Someone want to upload to kent or
somewhere else?

	If it's just to be macha, I don't mind building the stuff
myself (having done so on SUNs and 3b2's).  Just that when the
distribution is 20 Megabytes uncompressed and hundreds of us are
downloading the stuff and running into the same problems....  On the
SUNs and 3b2's, I could at least tell myself that I was spending the
time for a group of users.  On my Toshiba, it's just little ol' me.
This just doesn't seem to be enabling us as a community.

--Danny (dquah@athena.mit.edu, dquah@dolphin.mit.edu)
Dept. of Economics MIT, E52-274b, Cambridge MA 02139
Voice: (617) 253-0914 Fax: (617) 253-1330
#

--

wilkes@mips.COM (John Wilkes) (07/11/90)

In article <1990Jul10.122545.6963@athena.mit.edu>, dquah@athena.mit.edu
(Danny Quah) writes:

> >>Since V/386 is so prevalent on the net now, I'm wondering if
> >
> >Time to pound on the sources again...
>
> Why keep regrinding the wheel (or "pound on the sources"?)
> This just doesn't seem to be enabling us as a community.

About a week ago, I posted to this forum asking about problems building
emacs ("ESIX neophyte has questions") and most of the response said
something like, "Use COFF and the standard unexec().  It should work."
Well, it does not.  I have tried various different options in the s- and
m- files, taught sysdep.c that TIOCGWINSZ and TIOCGETC need to be
undef'ed for ESIX, and I am now fighting with process.c.

Folks, the standard emacs distribution WILL NOT BUILD ON ESIX without
some source hacking.  I cannot believe that others have not been here
before me.  Why is there no "s-esix.h" file, or a set of patches?  Am I
the only person in the universe to have these problems?

To anyone who has actually done it:  how do I build a dumpable emacs
under ESIX?  Answers along the lines of, "The standard distribution
should work," are not correct, so don't bother.

Thanks.

John Wilkes

wilkes@mips.com   -OR-   {ames, decwrl, pyramid}!mips!wilkes

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (07/11/90)

In article <1990Jul10.122545.6963@athena.mit.edu> dquah@athena.mit.edu (Danny Quah) writes:
>In article <1990Jul10.063631.5827@pegasus.com> news@pegasus.com (Usenet News) writes:
>        I agree with Rick (and the dude from Finland, I've lost your
>name sorry)---there are so many of us with SysV'386/ Interactive '386

That's alright. It was me. I thought this scheme has more power if we
play with real names...

>out here, wouldn't it be great if someone who has already made some of
>these things allow anon FTP or UUCP access.  Why keep regrinding the
>wheel (or "pound on the sources"?)  Someone want to upload to kent or
>somewhere else?
>
>	If it's just to be macha, I don't mind building the stuff
>myself (having done so on SUNs and 3b2's).  Just that when the
>distribution is 20 Megabytes uncompressed and hundreds of us are
>downloading the stuff and running into the same problems....  On the
>SUNs and 3b2's, I could at least tell myself that I was spending the
>time for a group of users.  On my Toshiba, it's just little ol' me.
>This just doesn't seem to be enabling us as a community.

I agree with this. I already offered me to do the job here in Finland
but our traffic load to US is a little heavy already (and we Europeans
pay it al by ourselves although the traffic is more and more two-way)
so let's try first an US site and if there are no volunteers then I
start here.
--
===== Harri Valkama   (hv@uwasa.fi, hv@flame.uwasa.fi, hv@nic.funet.fi) =======
| University of Vaasa, PO BOX 700, 65101 VAASA, Finland (fax: +358 61 248465) |

dquah@athena.mit.edu (Danny Quah) (07/12/90)

Thus far most helpful response to my posting from some days back:

>   I have gcc 1.37.1, g++ 1.37.0, libg++ 1.37.0 all working with the
>   INTERACTIVE assembler and linker. The binaries, include files,
>   documentation, and modified sources are available for the asking.

>   I am not quite ready to make my host a UUCP site thus I'd welcome
>   someone else to get the GNU C/C++ from me who could.

[Sorry I'm posting this without your permission (you know who you
are....) but I could get no mail path back to you to work.]

	Any takers for an FTP or UUCP site?  [FTP would be best of
course...]  As Harri Valkama has pointed out, it might be good to have
a US site to begin.

	In addition to Wilkes' posting and Farber's email message from
a few days back, there may also be more official moves afoot for a
386/ix gnuemacs.  I'll keep everyone posted.

	I'm out of town for a couple of days so send mail, but if
there's no immediate response you'll know why.  I'll get to everything
by Sunday latest.  I've tried to reply to everyone who's written to me
but with everything else that needs to be done at this time, I have
restricted myself to only so much experimentation with email addresses
that don't work.  I've been having problems with my mailer in the last
few weeks as well, so at least put something informative in your
.signature.

--

howardl@wb3ffv.ampr.org ( WB3FFV) (07/12/90)

From article <1990Jul12.122606.4904@athena.mit.edu>, by dquah@athena.mit.edu (Danny Quah):
> Thus far most helpful response to my posting from some days back:
>
>>   I have gcc 1.37.1, g++ 1.37.0, libg++ 1.37.0 all working with the
>>   INTERACTIVE assembler and linker. The binaries, include files,
>>   documentation, and modified sources are available for the asking.
>
>>   I am not quite ready to make my host a UUCP site thus I'd welcome
>>   someone else to get the GNU C/C++ from me who could.
>
> 	Any takers for an FTP or UUCP site?  [FTP would be best of
> course...]  As Harri Valkama has pointed out, it might be good to have
> a US site to begin.

   Hello All,

I at present have GCC running under V/386, and want to soon sit down and
get GNU Emacs up and going.  I would be more than glad to make binaries
for the GNU code avalible for UUCP, BBS Download, SLIP, and if I can
actually get a dedicated Internet connection I will make FTP avalible to
all that desire.  I don't have the G++ or the G++ libraries running on
this system as of now, but if somebody want's to send me working binaries
for the GNU software for 386 UNIX, I will make it avalible for download.
At present I can support 1200 & 2400 transfers with MNP-5 or V.42, I also
support V.32/V.42 at 9600/19200, and last but not least Telebit PEP at
both 9600/19200 bps.  I do not, and hav no plans to support the HST standard.
Does the above interest anybody?

Internet  : howardl@wb3ffv.ampr.org	|	Howard D. Leadmon
UUCP      : wb3ffv!howardl		|	Advanced Business Solutions
TELEX     : 152252474     		|	210 E. Lombard St - Suite 410
Telephone : (301)-576-8635		|	Baltimore, MD  21202

olu@sysauto.UUCP (Olumide O. Emuleomo) (07/13/90)

Beware of the g++ dated May 21 at sequent.kent.edu. (also tek4310.kent.edu)
The streams library does NOT work.
Ross biro said it was corrupted!!
Cheers

Emuleomo O.O.   (olu@sysauto.UUCP)
--
-Remember. It doesn't matter if you win or lose; As long as you win!