[comp.unix.i386] gnu emacs, epoch on iAPX 386

dquah@athena.mit.edu (Danny Quah) (07/09/90)

[Thanks! to the nice people who've put 386 binaries on tek4310.kent.edu]

	I've gotten a number of things from tek4310.kent.edu and all
(microemacs, bash, and gcc for example) are working great on my
Toshiba T5100 (4M ram, 100M hard disk, 387 installed, Interactive UNIX
2.2 brand spanking new).  Piece by piece I've also put in /usr/local
the emacs and epoch executables.  "file" correctly shows "iAPX 386
executable" on /usr/local/bin/emacs and epoch.  Upon invocation,
however, emacs crashes and burns with

Fatal error (12).Bad system call.

	I take it that this emacs has worked for other people.  What
have I missed?  Anyone know which system call this is?  Have I just
not installed a fateful piece of the OS? [In case it matters I have
SDS, Kernel Configuration, Core Base, File Management, Spell Utilities
installed.]

	If this isn't of general interest, please email rather than
posting.  I'm happy to summarize if I get requests.

--
--Danny (dquah@athena.mit.edu, dquah@dolphin.mit.edu)
Dept. of Economics MIT, E52-274b, Cambridge MA 02139

hv@funic.funet.fi (Harri Valkama - Uwasa) (07/09/90)

In article <1990Jul8.225350.20974@athena.mit.edu> dquah@athena.mit.edu (Danny Quah) writes:
>[Thanks! to the nice people who've put 386 binaries on tek4310.kent.edu]
>
>	I've gotten a number of things from tek4310.kent.edu and all
>(microemacs, bash, and gcc for example) are working great on my
>Toshiba T5100 (4M ram, 100M hard disk, 387 installed, Interactive UNIX
>2.2 brand spanking new).  Piece by piece I've also put in /usr/local
>the emacs and epoch executables.  "file" correctly shows "iAPX 386
>executable" on /usr/local/bin/emacs and epoch.  Upon invocation,
>however, emacs crashes and burns with
>
>Fatal error (12).Bad system call.

Same thing it done to me. I have 386/ix v2.0.2
So I am interested on this, too.
--
===== Harri Valkama   (hv@uwasa.fi, hv@flame.uwasa.fi, hv@nic.funet.fi) =======
| University of Vaasa, PO BOX 700, 65101 VAASA, Finland (fax: +358 61 248465) |

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (07/09/90)

In article <1990Jul8.225350.20974@athena.mit.edu> dquah@athena.mit.edu (Danny Quah) writes:
>[Thanks! to the nice people who've put 386 binaries on tek4310.kent.edu]
>	I've gotten a number of things from tek4310.kent.edu and all
>(microemacs, bash, and gcc for example) are working great on my
>Toshiba T5100 (4M ram, 100M hard disk, 387 installed, Interactive UNIX
>2.2 brand spanking new).  Piece by piece I've also put in /usr/local
>the emacs and epoch executables.  "file" correctly shows "iAPX 386
>executable" on /usr/local/bin/emacs and epoch.  Upon invocation,
>however, emacs crashes and burns with
>
>Fatal error (12).Bad system call.

Same thing happen' to me. I am using 386/ix v2.0.2
So that I am also interested on this.

--

carroll@m.cs.uiuc.edu (07/09/90)

/* Written  5:53 pm  Jul  8, 1990 by dquah@athena.mit.edu in m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.unix.i386 */
/* ---------- "gnu emacs, epoch on iAPX 386" ---------- */
Piece by piece I've also put in /usr/local the emacs and epoch executables.
Upon invocation, however, emacs crashes and burns with

Fatal error (12).Bad system call.

[In case it matters I have SDS, Kernel Configuration, Core Base,
File Management, Spell Utilities installed.]
/* End of text from m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.unix.i386 */
Sad to say, but Epoch won't run except under X-Windows, which you don't have
installed, so I suspect that Epoch (at least) is crashing because it is
doing some system call for X-windows, and failing. It's also possible that the
Emacs binary you have was compiled with X-windows support, and is failing
for the same reason.

news@pegasus.com (Usenet News) (07/10/90)

>Sad to say, but Epoch won't run except under X-Windows, which you don't have
>installed, so I suspect that Epoch (at least) is crashing because it is
>doing some system call for X-windows, and failing. It's also possible that the
>Emacs binary you have was compiled with X-windows support, and is failing
>for the same reason.

I thought you could run it without bringing up X by giving it the -nw
flag.  (?)

fischer@utower.gopas.sub.org (Axel Fischer) (07/15/90)

carroll@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>Sad to say, but Epoch won't run except under X-Windows, which you don't have
>installed, so I suspect that Epoch (at least) is crashing because it is
>doing some system call for X-windows, and failing. It's also possible that the
>Emacs binary you have was compiled with X-windows support, and is failing
>for the same reason.
No, emacs detects if you have set the DISPLAY envvar. If yes it tries
to start with connecting to the server, else it starts on any character
tty just like the emacs without X support.

-Axel
--
  fischer@utower.gopas.sub.org / fischer@db0tui6.BITNET / fischer@tmpmbx.UUCP

  Class of '93                    That is not dead, which can eternal lie
                                  Yet with strange aeons, even death may die.