[comp.unix.i386] UNIX vs. OS/2

tyager@maxx.UUCP (Tom Yager) (07/16/90)

In article <783@digi.lonestar.org>, cfoughty@digi.lonestar.org (Cy Foughty) writes:

> Please don't flame me to hard. OS/2 1.2 provides a much
> better solution. Costs less, easier to ADMIN, and needs a
> lot less iron.

All UNIX needs more of than OS/2 is memory, and that race is mighty close.
If you're the average OS/2 user, you'll have a couple of native apps running
alongside one or more DOS tasks. That eats memory fast, and threads won't
help much. I know of very few OS/2 users who get by on less than 4MB of
memory.

I can get the UNIX kernel, core utilities, X Window, Motif and TCP/IP on a
system with 4MB of memory and a 40MB hard disk. Up the memory to 8MB, and
you've got a very respectable workstation.

What frosts me is that no UNIX vendor has come up with a runtime configuration
that includes only these parts. Open Desktop comes close, very close, but it
costs too much and is too feature-laden for the consumers I have in mind.

We need a $299 UNIX OS/networking/GUI bundle. I've been preaching this for
years now, but nobody's listening.

> A much richer programming environment and soooo
> much easier to connect to a network.

Connecting most UNIX systems to a network involves creating a list of hosts
and throwing a menu-option switch. What OS/2 connects easily to is networks
of DOS and OS/2 systems. I have to rely on third-party products to connect
to machines networked by TCP/IP.

SCO's Open Desktop UNIX connects to NETBIOS and Lan Manager servers.

> I know this is a Unix
> based network, but if one evaluates OBJECTIVELY, OS/2 vs. Unix
> OS/2 wins in most of the categories, not all, but most. The most important
> ones.

There are lots of other types of systems on the Usenet. Everything from
Amigas to DOS to CP/M is represented here. We aren't necessarily bigots,
but your claim that "OS/2 wins in most of the categories" has to be backed
up by facts. If you've done your homework, show us. I'd be pleased to hear
from someone who has studied the facts, made extensive use of both systems
and placed OS/2 in front.

> I am an old Unix man from the v.7 days and most
> of my projects have been in Unix.

But have you driven it lately? If you've been using UNIX since V7, maybe
you got bored with it, fell into a rut. You might try looking at some of the
more recent implementations. Play with X Window and Motif or Open Look. Read up
on the coming System V.4 and OSF/1. There's lots of new stuff out there to get
you interested again if you look. Programming in Motif got me excited about
UNIX again.

> I now have been working on a major OS/2 project for almost
> a year; Unix has it's place, but not in the general business world.

Balderdash. All anyone NEEDS in the "general business world" is a program
loader--the continued dominance of DOS proves that. Beyond that, users are
coming to WANT what OS/2 and UNIX have to offer. Right now, they're struggling
with layers like Desqview and other DOS multitaskers because they want to do
several things at once. They're buying up Windows by the score because they
like the eye-pleasing effects of color and graphics. OS/2 gives them what they
need, and what they want. What you seem to be overlooking is that UNIX has
nearly all of the qualities of OS/2. The only significant difference that comes
to my mind is threads, and UNIX will have those in V.4 (before the end of the
year). OSF/1 will have them, too.

> Unix is simply not designed for the everyday business user. Do not
> just compare programs when looking at OS/2 vs. Unix. For that fact it
> shouldn't be "OS/2 vs. Unix". OS/2 is meant for general business and
> Unix for scientific and acadamic.

I think you're doing both operating systems a disservice by pigeonholing them
like that. There's nothing, absolutely nothing about UNIX that makes it better
suited for academic and scientific use. It has its roots in these communities
because years ago, it was one of a handful of OSes that met those needs.

By the same token, nothing about OS/2 makes it unsuitable for scientific or
educational use.

You're right when you say that "UNIX is not designed for the everyday business
user." Current implementations are designed to be what UNIX should be: A solid,
general-purpose OS. What's the big deal? A business user loads programs with
it. A developer writes code. A scientist crunches numbers. Is there something
about UNIX that makes any of these tasks more or less difficult? I think it
balances out in the end.

> The only reason that Unix ever
> started becoming popular in general business is that it offered low
> cost multi-tasking and networking. It did not offer user friendly-ness.

You've got that right, but, again, you need to look at how far UNIX has come.
Practically every leading UNIX vendor offers a graphical environment with a
point-and-click shell. Motif is designed after OS/2's Presentation Manager--
you can't claim that's too hard for general users to handle.

The reason UNIX is enjoying its current surge in popularity is that it gives
the public what it wants. Low cost has naught to do with it--it costs me much
more to build a proper UNIX system than it does to get OS/2 running. That I'll
grant you. UNIX's rise to commercial success was partly due to OS/2's
unfulfilled promise. Now that OS/2 is finally where Microsoft and IBM said
it would be, UNIX is still going strong.

People aren't stupid. They go with what works. UNIX is working as a platform
for business software.

> OS/2 was designed with the general business user in mind. Let Unix
> have it's market and let OS/2 take it's place in the general business
> world. This controversy only comes up when emotions are involved; look
> from a logical standpoint and everyone will have a working system.

What you're saying is, "you stay out of my yard, and I'll stay out of yours."
Never! If I think OS/2 is better suited for something I've a mind to do, I'll
use it, and to hell with Microsoft's marketing hype about its business roots.
Same with UNIX. If I want to run my cash registers or my shoe store inventory,
and desire the flexibility to distribute either $3000 X Terminals/DOS
workstations or $300 serial terminals, I'll use UNIX. I don't have to wear a
lab coat or a propeller beanie to recognize that a multiuser, multitasking
system can be a win for business users.

Being logical means considering all sides of an issue. I think you have one
point, and that is that all UNIX users should sit down and work with OS/2. It
isn't the evil enemy at all. In fact, it's quite nice. But so are Windows 3.0,
QNX, THEOS, and lots of other OSes out there. The field is hardly limited to
two or three. When it comes time to make a decision about platforms, the old
rule still applies: Pick your application, then your OS, then your hardware.

Now, here's your chance to jump on my head for "commercial use of the net."
Starting soon, BYTE will be running a series of feature articles on alternative
operating systems. We'll be looking at some of the ones I mentioned above, and
others you've never heard of. Each one brings something different to the party.
Each has its own special talents. Now that users are more demanding, and better
educated, it might be time to step back and shed some of the silly notions
under which we've been operating. If giving the users what they want is the
key (I know it used to be), then perhaps there's something out there that
provides a better platform than what you're currently using.

I'm sharing this feature series with my learned UNIX colleague, Ben Smith,
and we've both been surprised how capable and useful many of these other
operating systems are.

I wasn't going to plug this series, but Mr. Foughty's posting brought to light
the bitter divisions that have been plaguing the ranks of developers and
integrators. Users are the ones who are losing, because they are at our mercy
to point them in the right direction. If that direction is based on "OS
racism," then no one's interests are being served.

--
+--Tom Yager, Technical Editor, BYTE----Reviewer, UNIX World---------------+
|  NET: decvax!maxx!tyager     -or-     uunet!bytepb!maxx!tyager           |