[comp.unix.i386] Got alloca

mark@intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) (07/12/90)

I'm trying to get smail3 up on my Unix 386 box, but Wollongong's network
library calls alloca(), which is nowhere to be found on my system.

Do you have a version for 386 Unix you'd be willing to share?  I'll get
there eventually, but I'm not much of an assembly hacker, and it's slow
and painful.

Thanks in advance.
--
Mark McWiggins			Integration Technologies, Inc. (Intek)
+1 206 455 9935			DISCLAIMER:  I could be wrong ...

In article <273@intek01.UUCP> mark@intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) writes:
>I'm trying to get smail3 up on my Unix 386 box, but Wollongong's network
>library calls alloca(), which is nowhere to be found on my system.

There is usually an alloca() in libPW.a, so try a -lPW.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (07/13/90)

In article <1990Jul12.235022.9489@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>There is usually an alloca() in libPW.a, so try a -lPW.

Does anyone know whether SVR4 (for the 386) still has libPW.a?

jlitvin@cadfs5.intel.com (John Litvin ~) (07/14/90)

> >There is usually an alloca() in libPW.a, so try a -lPW.

> Does anyone know whether SVR4 (for the 386) still has libPW.a?

Yes, I do.  No, it doesn't.

--
jlitvin@st860.intel.com
{amdcad,decwrl,hplabs,oliveb,pur-ee}!intelca!mipos3!st860!jlitvin

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (07/16/90)

In article <273@intek01.UUCP> mark@intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) writes:
>I'm trying to get smail3 up on my Unix 386 box, but Wollongong's network
>library calls alloca(), which is nowhere to be found on my system.

Unless I'm mistaken, on SysV alloca() is over in libPW.a

If you can't find it on any of your standard libraries you'll find
one somewhere in the GNU software.  The Emacs distribution if I
remember right...

Yes, I just checked on one of our SysV machines.  Add -lPW to
your cc line.
--
<- David Herron, an MMDF weenie, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>

stevea@i88.isc.com (Steve Alexander) (07/16/90)

In article <15665@bfmny0.BFM.COM> tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
>Does anyone know whether SVR4 (for the 386) still has libPW.a?

I believe that libPW was only present in SVR3 in order to build SCCS.  In the
most recent SVR4 load that I have sources for, libPW has been renamed mpwlib
and moved into /usr/src/cmd/sccs/lib.  It doesn't seem to get installed into
/usr/lib, so unless you have source, it appears that you'll be SOL in SVR4.

--
Steve Alexander, Software Technologies Group    | stevea@i88.isc.com
INTERACTIVE Systems Corporation, Naperville, IL | ...!{sun,ico}!laidbak!stevea

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (07/17/90)

jlitvin@cadfs5.intel.com (John Litvin ~) writes:
> > >There is usually an alloca() in libPW.a, so try a -lPW.
> > Does anyone know whether SVR4 (for the 386) still has libPW.a?
> Yes, I do.  No, it doesn't.

True, but not particularly helpful.  alloca() is in /usr/ucblib/libucb.a.
You'll get it if you run /usr/ucb/cc (which just invokes regular cc with
BSDish options and libraries), or you can add it explicitly.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com  -or-  ico!rcd          (303)449-2870
   ...Reality is neat!  It works even if you don't believe in it!